Author Topic: Cadwallon & Ascension  (Read 2137 times)

skavengear

Cadwallon & Ascension
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:07:39 AM »
So its that holiday season, and im considering buying these two games, has anyone played them and could give a recommendation? Id also like to know if buying the base games (ascension the godslayer 59.99 and cadwallon city of thieves 39.99) is enough to play and enjoy or are the expansions highly reccommended?

johnnyboy

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
Re: Cadwallon & Ascension
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 01:04:50 PM »
I have played cadwallon,and think its a great game fun and has a lot of replay value,also they are comming out with an expansion,and if you really like it, fantasy flight sells the miniatures prepainted only through mailorder i believe.as for ascension i havnt played it but have only heard good things about it,i personally like miniature games over card games but thats personal preference,i will say if i did play card cames i would def try this one.i hope this helps johng

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:59:12 AM »
Ascension is, without a doubt, the best selling "board game" at BG Plainville.  I have not played it myself but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.  The game itself is a deck building game somewhat similar to Dominion (which is also extremely popular).  It's very quick and easy to learn.

Here is a link to their website

Ascension: Chronicles of the Godslayer is a stand alone game and currently does not have any expansions available.

If you're in the market for a hot, easy to learn, quick to play game this is it.  Cookie, and various other Abington regulars love it and I'm sure they would be up for a game any time they are around.

As for Cadwallon, I have not played nor have I heard anything about it.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

aduclos

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:32:03 PM »
I've tried both, but recently sold my copy of Cadwallon. Its a neat game but it seemed to have a bit too much chrome/bits for what is basically a simple game. The mechanics are fun enough and the production is quite good but the experience was so-so for me. I think I was looking for something a bit quicker for a 'light game'. If I am going to be hosing my friends and stealing their gold, the game cant go on past 45 minutes or so!! I may be spoiled by classic Dungeonquest:)

I enjoy chrome as much as the next guy too, but for the sake of pulling a game out and quickly getting a game in I would lean towards Ascension. As Chase notes above its quick, easy to learn/play and easy to setup/tear down. If you enjoy CCGs in any way its an easy pick too. You get the tactical vibe of drafting in a nice compact package without having to get any other cards.