Author Topic: Games Workshop Announces Price Increase  (Read 2676 times)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Games Workshop Announces Price Increase
« on: August 27, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »
Games Workshop Announces Price Increase
Average 20% Increase on 500+ Products
August 26, 2008

Citing “the rising cost of rising energy, transport, and materials,” Games Workshop announced Monday a price increase on its metal models, books, paints, and other accessories.

A spreadsheet accompanying the announcement was mailed to retailers. It lists price increases on 523 items, with MSRP increases from 6% to 70%, with an overall average of 20%. Of the 523 items, 504 receive increases of less than 33%.

Most individual blister-packed figures go up from $12 to $15 (25%), while Codex and Army books go from $22 to $25 (14%) and 12 ml paints rise 50¢ to $3.50 (17%). The price of plastic kits remained steady, with GW citing this as a reason for the company to “accelerate our plans for expanding our plastic kit range even more quickly.”

The new prices will go into effect September 29th.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
Re: Games Workshop Announces Price Increase
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »
Of course they do.  GW never met a price increase they didn't like. 
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
Re: GW never met a price increase they didn't like.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 05:51:52 PM »
I like bashing GW as much as the next guy but costs HAVE been increasing.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:01:33 PM »
Its good to see that their investment in plastics has both pleased hobbyists and kept prices down.

I wonder what went up a whopping 70%, though. That's crazy!

Matt - To be fair, if you had been around to see all their other increases, you'd probably understand how some people could complain. Its hard to remember this one might be for a good reason when a while ago there were 4 or 5 for none.
beep bop boop

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »
I remember hearing a mantra once before that goes something like when in doubt mock GW.  So far its been useful.

I realize that there is probably some real validity to the increase this time but thought I'd get a quick post in mocking them instead of a fully crafted response to the positives and negatives of this latest news.

In summation, Boo on raising prices!

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 08:15:40 PM »
from what i see just about every mini compy has had to jump their prices a little.... PP had to do it just a little bit back and think Reaper is starting as well
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 01:18:23 AM »
*Some reference to the Boston Tea Party and boxes of Ultramarines goes here.*

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 01:29:07 AM »
*Some reference to the Boston Tea Party and boxes of Ultramarines goes here.*

But where to get the face paint and indian costumes?  Oh wait I'm sorry, forgot for a moment that we have to be politically correct at all times and especially in a blue state.  Where to get the face paint and Native American costumes like our forefathers did?

Anyone know of a good costume shop?  First stop Baltimore then the world dumping Ultramarines into every harbor nearby.  Take that GW!

/kidding