Author Topic: Redakai  (Read 3623 times)

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
Redakai
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:54:26 AM »
So, serious impressions... Is it worth buying into, or is this going to be like malifaux where I waste my money for about a month or two of games then it dies out?  It seems cool but is it all just a big gimmick or is there a real strong impression people will play this for prolonged periods of time?
Tiger's Den founding member

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Re: Redakai
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 03:07:10 PM »
I'd be suspicious of any card game other than Magic getting to the point where making the investment would be worth it. Most have died out after a few months.
beep bop boop

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »
I mean even if it was at wowtcg level I'd be willing to get a starter and like a handful of packs to play casually...  Then again... Malifaux I said that and now you can't even sell that stuff. 

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • "We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
There is really no telling at the beginning of a game to tell if its gunna be like magic... but then again I would never compare a game to magic just because big it is... comparing it to wwccg is more realistic... but I am getting it and I have been told that people around the shop have gotten it in the past few weeks and they say more are... so I would just get it and see what happens
"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »
I would spend the money on something more worthwhile.
beep bop boop

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:01:53 AM »
For the price I consider a decent and worthy investment, I can have a fantasy flight board game, which has a reputation for quality and balanced fun. 

I judged it a lot today, and if you like it, fine.  I see it as a gimmick that will run dry. The 3D is nice, but I'm going to pass.

Do not let my opinion sway you if you purchased it and like it, or want to purchase it in store for fun, I tend to lean toward purchase I can rely on having in long term.  Perhaps it will prove me wrong and turn success.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:28:21 AM »
Redakai is a mass market card game and will likely not "fail".  It'll be popular enough.  What is hard to say is if it will be popular in our area or not.

Will it be the next Pokemon or YuGiOh?  Probably not... but you never know.  It seems to appeal to the casual, anime crowd like Pokemon and YuGiOh... It's got a cartoon coming out soon.  It'll be plastered all over Walmart and Target.  Will it be going strong 20 years from now?  I doubt it.  Is there a chance it'll fire tournaments at BG?  Certainly.

It's been a long time since we've seen "the next big thing."  We thought it was worth taking a chance on.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:34:47 AM »
Totally worth taking a chance on. I agree. I really hope it sticks around and does well. I've just been burned by a lot of CCGs. I bought into VS, had a HUGE Warlord collection and even flew to a few places to compete, almost did Spoils... Uhg. Learned my lesson.
beep bop boop

Sekacnap

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:28:06 PM »
In my opinion, if something looks fun and you and a few friends decide to pick up a few packs and play for a month or so before it starts to die, that's money spent well enough. As long as you have fun with something for an amount of time proportional to the price you paid all's right with the world.