Author Topic: 35 and 50 points for shae pirates  (Read 1962 times)

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
35 and 50 points for shae pirates
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
So, preparing for iron arenas, i am dusting off my warmachine and thinking of how to construct my 50 point list.

Both of these lists are tier 4 lists, because in my opinion there really is no reason not to take it, and all the solos get a point off, and they are all amazing, especially for 1 point!

35 points

shae
 -free booter 6
 -free booter 6
-dirty meg 1
 -buccaneer 3
-firstmate hawk 1
-Doc killingsworth 1
-bosun grogspar 1
-lord joln rockbottom 1
-10x press gangers 6
-6x press gangers 4
-6x seadogs 5
 -mr. walls 2
-commodore cannon 4

50 points

shae
 -free booter 6
 -free booter 6
 -mariner 8
-dirty meg 1
 -buccaneer 3
-firstmate hawk 1
-Doc killingsworth 1
-bosun grogspar 1
-lord joln rockbottom 1
-10x press gangers 6
-10x press gangers 6
-6x seadogs 5
 -mr. walls 2
-6x seadogs 5
-commodore cannon 4

*in both of these lists, Meg marshals the buccaneer

These are pretty straight forward alpha strike lists. the plan is for shooting armies, i will spent the first 2 turns getting into charge range, but staying out of range of most of the shooting using stuff like phantasm (unit/model counts as 5 more inches away against shooting attacks) and veil of mists, then pop feat and coup de main and just get stuck in using all the solos to buff the infantry into scary monsters. Against stuff that can be really dangerous like deathjack, i just keep commodore cannoning them backwards. As i always say, shae might not be a canon character, but he does have a character cannon!

any thoughts?
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
Re: 35 and 50 points for shae pirates
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:33:17 PM »
High armor will be fun for you

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:21:29 AM »
yeah, i know it looks scary, but i think high armor is always going to be a pain for pirates, and I have some defenses, mainly a rockbottom buffed cannon, and freebooters with trash hitting on knocked down targets on the charge for four D6 damage, and then throwing them into other heavies. And i did throw in the mariner who has a nice boostable gun and a decent PS 17 anchor.

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »
Lady face and master ninny would help

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »
I have pretty much the same advice as last time:

I like the theme, but really hate the freebooters. They don't really help your army deal with its primary problem: armor. I recognize they have Trash, but my Kodiak had that last edition and I don't remember him killing anything worthwhile. You'd probably be better served with Nomads or, if you can find the points, Manglers.

Why no Aiyana and Holt? They're pretty much required if you want to take out anything arm 19 or higher. I seriously think that next to the Commodore, they are the best privateer unit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:20:43 PM by Ian Mulligan »
beep bop boop

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:17:14 PM »
blech, really? i despise them. The reason i like all the solos is because of how they buff the infantry. Like i like her kiss ability, and they are pretty cool, but what would i take out? and i still think the freebooter is better. My list has plenty of opportunities for model knockdown, so lets look at it, without focus, a standard d6 roll is a 3.5 if i recall correctly. so a nomad gets 17 + 3.5 + 3.5, then 14 + 3.5 + 3.5. against a khador jack, that is 4+1= 5 total damage, the free booter will do 14 + 3.5 + 3.5 + 3.5 twice, for a total of 2x4.5, or 9 total, and then it gets a free throw, which produces another knock down, and if you can throw it into another jack/ beast, then there is an additional jack/ beast knocked down asking to be freebooter'd.

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 04:16:38 AM »
With warbeast it seems alot better to kill them not knock them down, but that might just be me.
I've been playing Maelok Alot With alot of SG. My wrastles sit at armor 19-23 "21 with SG" and my gatormen sit at 16-22 armor. I would have a harder time with a mangler over a freebooter any day.
Mangler and Nomad are top 3 best jacks in that book imo. Best being renegade.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 09:33:43 AM »
He'll kill kd'ed beasts just as easy as kd'd warjacks with boosts. The Freebooter is capable of intense destruction under ideal circumstances.

That's the issue for me. There's a lot of ways of mitigating kd in this game, and they'll be ever-present in competitive situations so its presumptuous to think you'll always/easily get 'Trash' bonuses against ideal targets. Given its stats its effectively a glass cannon. If you send one out there it isn't tough enough to survive your opponent's counter attack.

I think one Freebooter in each list is good with a Mariner or Nomad as the second heavy. But that's me.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 12:53:59 AM »
also, this is an alpha strike list, and i love the turbo. i know the nomad has reach, but it also needs more focus, and on shae's strike turn, he really needs that focus for coup de main and storm rager. But i do see what you are saying, and i am going to try some games out with the nomad. Another thing is though that he is a pirate jack, and it fits the theme. If the nomads are really better, i will use them for competition, and the freebooters for fun games.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 01:25:25 PM »
So, in following your advice, i have made the following changes to my list, at 50 points, ive taken out the mariner, and 4 press gangers, and added in a nomad and Aiyan and Holt. Does this sound better?

Shae
-free booter
-free booter
-nomad
meg
-buccaneer
hawk
rockbottom
grogspar
killingsworth
commodore cannon
6x seadogs
6x seadogs
-mr. walls
10x press gangers
6x press gangers

Aiyan's kiss ability is really nice, and the nomad gives me some decently heavy armor, and the ability to deal with heavy armor that is immune to knockdown.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »
I think that list will accomplish what you want much more consistently. I hope it works out!
beep bop boop

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Thanks a bunch for all the help!