Author Topic: Help with dry brushing?  (Read 2733 times)

King of the Elves

Help with dry brushing?
« on: January 04, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »
Hey everyone i am trying to drybrush my chimera and i'm having some trouble doing so. There is either to much paint so it's like im putting on another layer or it's not enough so i'm not putting ANY paint on? If anyone can post a link to a article to help me or post the "correct" way to do it that would be a lot of help. Thanks

Henry R

• Heroic Tier Level 4
  • Rust Bucket
    • Email
Re: Help with dry brushing?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »
You want your brush to look as if it has dry paint on it, hence the name dry brushing. Just wipe your brush on a paper towel, napkin, etc. and you should be good to go.

King of the Elves

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
You want your brush to look as if it has dry paint on it, hence the name dry brushing. Just wipe your brush on a paper towel, napkin, etc. and you should be good to go.

Awasome thanks!

Henry R

• Heroic Tier Level 4
  • Rust Bucket
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »
Youtube is a great source of painting tips and how-tos, from beginner techniques like dry brushing, to more advanced techniques like non metallic metal and blending. I have spent hours watching videos on how to paint and my skills have rapidly increased.

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
Ya wipe the brush off on the sides of the bottle then on a paper towel held in hand then brush it onto a paper towel. take note on how much paint comes off on the paper towel with each stroke. when no thick globs or smears are left that should be enough. it is always better to have to little then to much left on the brush.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:28:22 PM »
I have a bad habit where I pick up a little paint and use the back of my hand to wipe off the excess paint. I think a paper towel would work better but I never seem to have one handy when I need it.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:45:06 AM »
Get a piece of paper and start drybrushing it as you would normally a couple of times. when you reach a consistency that looks like the bottom right of this pic, that's what needs to go onto the model.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:25:00 AM »
Awesome post.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

King of the Elves

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
Awesome post.

^ But thanks everyone i looked on youtube and used maynard's post and it turned out awasome! Thanks again

Henry R

• Heroic Tier Level 4
  • Rust Bucket
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
No problem! Painting is a fun thing to talk about.