Author Topic: [Abington MA] The Arena: Chained Death Match - 1.14.12  (Read 4644 times)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
[Abington MA] The Arena: Chained Death Match - 1.14.12
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »

Battleground Games & Hobbies - Abington

The Arena: Chained Death Match

Date: January 14th, 2012 THIS SATURDAY
Time: Registration begins at 1 PM. All characters must be ready to roll promptly at 2 PM (please create your characters well in advance of the event!)
Entrance Fee: $5.00

Over the years, Battleground Games & Hobbies has often held events using the various Dungeons & Dragons rules systems to simulate gladiatorial arena matches. This Saturday, and every other Saturday after that, we’ll be continuing that tradition with a variety of gladiatorial matches in Battleground's magnificent "miniature" 4' x 6' arena.

Each event will have a specific theme and rules to go along with it. Details for each event will be listed below.

THIS WEEK'S EVENT:

CHAINED DEATH MATCH!

RULES FOR THE ARENA: CHAINED DEATH MATCH

RULEBOOKS:
Pathfinder Core Rulebook. ONLY the Pathfinder Core Rulebook can be used to create a character – NO EXCEPTIONS! Pre-generated characters will be available as options to anyone unable or not interested in creating their own character.

LEVEL:
ALL Gladiators much be Level 3.

ABILITY SCORES:
All Gladiators MUST use the High Fantasy rules for 20 Point Buy for their Ability Scores which can be found on pages 15-16 of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

RACES:
Your Gladiator may be any race in the Core Rulebook.

CLASSES:
Participants MUST create a level 3 Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, or Ranger.
NO MULTICLASSING will be allowed for this event.

HIT POINTS:
Determine your maximum possible Hit Points for your character at first level, and then add (+6/barbarian or +5/fighter/ranger or +4/rogue) + CON Bonus for each additional level after the first.

ANIMAL COMPANIONS:
Not allowed. This includes the purchasing of animals from the "Equipment" section like horses or dogs.

ALIGNMENT
Any.

EQUIPMENT:
Each character begins with 200 gp with which to buy items from the Core Rule Book Equipment section.  Absolutely NO magic items will be allowed. The list of Legal Weapons and Armor for this event are listed below. Weapons and armor not on the list are not allowed in the arena.

LEGAL WEAPONS:
Battleaxe
Bolas
Boomerang
Chain, Spiked
Club
Crossbow, Light
Dagger
Dagger, Punching
Flail
Flail, Heavy
Gauntlet
Gauntlet, Spiked
Glaive
Greatclub
Hammer, Light
Handaxe
Javelin
Kukri
Lasso
Longspear
Mace, Light + Heavy
Man Catcher
Morningstar
Net
Rapier
Shield, Light
Short Sword
Shortbow
Shortspear
Sling
Spear
Spiked Armor
Spiked Light Shield
Sword Breaker Dagger
Throwing Axe
Trident
Warhammer
Whip

LEGAL ARMOR:
Light and Medium Armor ONLY
NO Heavy Armor will be allowed
Wooden Shields

HOW THE BATTLE WILL WORK:
All Gladiators will be placed around the approximately 4’ x 6’ arena at Battleground. Here is the arena for reference:

THE CHAIN:
Each Gladiator will be randomly chained to one other Gladiator during this event. There will be 15ft of indestructible, magical, chain connecting the two individuals. No amount of brute force or pick lock skill will be able to break the chains binding the two gladiators, although killing the gladiator next to you and chopping his wrist off IS an option, albeit putting you at a disadvantage having to face others who will likely be working together.

INITIATIVE & DELAY:
Initiative will be determined and the battle will ensue. All gladiators are expected to immediately move toward another gladiator and begin their attack, or use a missile weapon to do so. The crowd watching the fight dislikes it when gladiators stall or stay out of the fray, and their mood can have a strong influence on the success or failure of a gladiator’s performance. Each round that a gladiator does not make an attack against another gladiator will result in an adjustment on the sliding performance scale.

1st Round without making an attack: Crowd takes notice and shouts a few jeers. Combatant takes a -1 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

2nd Round without making an attack: Crowd begins to shout and taunt the stalling gladiator. Combatant takes a -2 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

3rd Round without making an attack: Crowd becomes very hostile and chants relentlessly about the gladiator’s cowardice and begins to throw rotten vegetables (purchased by conveniently located vendors) at the gladiator. Combatant takes a -4 on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

4th Round without making an attack: Crowd is enraged. The emperor’s court wizards, in order to maintain order in the stands, begins to fire magic missiles at the stalling gladiator. Subsequent rounds will continue with these penalties in place.

Gladiators must work their way back up the ladder in order to remove accrued penalties.

Conversely, gladiators who show great bravado will be rewarded in similar ways.

Every time an opponent is slain in the arena, the gladiator dealing the killing blow will receive a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws (if a gladiator is in the negatives when he receives this bonus it brings him up one further on the scale). This bonus will remain for as long as the gladiator continues to relentlessly assault his opponents. If at any time the gladiator fails to attack an opponent in a given round the bonus will be affected as noted above.

A gladiator that delivers a critical hit also gains a +1 bonus on all attack rolls, combat maneuvers, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws.

A gladiator cannot under any circumstances accrue a bonus higher than +3 in this way.

EXPECT THE REFEREE TO MAKE ON THE SPOT JUDGEMENTS TO DETERMINE IF A GLADIATOR IS GUILTY OF DELAY INFRACTIONS!

PRIZES:
The full amount of entrance fees will be used to generate prizes for the top placing team. A second and third place prize will be added if attendance is high.

PRO TIP!
Watch out for alliances and disrupt them when you can!

Good luck gladiators. Strength and honor!

Address:
1501 Bedford Street
Abington MA 02351

Google Maps

Check out our Facebook Page

Join our Mailing List

Please contact me at calelaquidara@gmail.com if you have any questions pertaining to this event.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:21:03 AM by Battleground »
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

King of the Elves

Re: [Abington MA] The Arena: Chained Death Match - 1.14.12
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »
Will be there pre generated characters? And can you chose your teams or is it at a random? And if you are "new" to the game can you still play?

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:40:10 AM »
Let the blood bath begin!!
...and I killed a guy with a trident!

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:19:59 AM »
Will be there pre generated characters? And can you chose your teams or is it at a random? And if you are "new" to the game can you still play?

Pre-generated characters? Yes, good pre-gens will be available.

Choose your teammate? No, it will be random.

Newbies welcome? Absolutely! :)

Cale

• Global Moderator
  • Nothing is ever easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:57:05 AM »

As Derek said, all Gladiators will be randomly assigned their team-mate who they are chained to. This will help disrupt some of the before battle alliances.

I have created 5 pregens to choose from for this event. 2 Fighters, 1 Barbarian, 1 Ranger, and 1 Rogue to choose from.  I've done my best to make each pregen Gladiator as capable as possible for their class, while trying to present as many unique Galditor types as possible.

"New" players are ALWAYS encouraged to participate. Chad and myself will be able to help them during the event with any questions.  

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:59:31 AM by Cale »
A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave. - Wiegraf Folles

King of the Elves

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »
Awasome, thanks!

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 11:46:21 PM »
Its looking like it will be a good turnout tommorrow.  Just had 5 people in the store building characters for tommorrow.   There are some interesting character concepts going on. 

King of the Elves

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
Thanks BG for putting on such a awasome event. It was SO much fun and i can't wait untill the 28th for some dodgeball!!!! And as a side note, Chad... i hate you.

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
lol, I know you don't really hate me so it's ok.  I only killed your character because it's what my gladiator would do and plus you will most likely kick my but in Steve D's 40K tournament. 

King of the Elves

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
lol, I know you don't really hate me so it's ok.  I only killed your character because it's what my gladiator would do and plus you will most likely kick my but in Steve D's 40K tournament. 

Your right i don't hate you, and as far as Steve D's thing goes, it could go both ways... but i'm glad i got killed by the first place team.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 01:57:43 AM »
Anyone wanna give me a run down on who played and what happened?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

King of the Elves

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 02:08:40 AM »

All i know for sure is that Chad and Bryan came in first/ where the only team to remain chained the entire match.

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »

Arena Participants

Brian Luscombe
Dylan O'Brien
Alan Lucas
Zack Lucas
Micah Greenbaum
Devon Grogan
Jeff Pavloff
Chad Kelble
Mike Russell
Steve Rodriguez
Nate Morgan
Dan Perrone

Chad and Brian won, Micah and Steve were the runners up. It seemed like the event was a big success.

-Cale

ckelble

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
   Thank you Cale for posting that. 
   I don't have the list of participants to post them.  If I remember correctly the teams were: Brian Luscombe and myself; Dan Perrone and Jeff Pavloff; Micah Greenbaum and Steve Rodriguez; Dylan O'Brien and Zack Lucas; Alan Lucas and Mike Russell; and Devon Grogan and Nate Morgan. 
   I am sorry that I don't have a character death play by play.  I will work on that for future events.  And I must say thanks to Cale for creating pregen characters for the arena.  Huge help for people.     
   What I do remember is Zack being the first death in the arena.  His character taking massive damage right off the bat.  Sadly, from his father character but what can ya do. 
   Towards the end of the arena, it came down to Alan (human barbarian), Mike (human barbarian), Jeff (dwarf fighter), Brian (half-ling fighter), Dylan (elf ranger), Micah (human barbarian) and myself (gnome fighter).  Brien and myself decided to let the barbarians and the fighters work out there issues while he and I went for the ranger that was trying to pick us off from a distance.  Sorry Dylan. 
   Once the dust cleared in the arena, all that was left standing was one team, a short team.  The unarmed fighting Halfling and the trident wielding Gnome.  The King/Emperor was not content on the blood shed and had the two midgets fight it out while still chained to each other.  Sadly the unarmed Halfling was beating up the Gnome who couldn't land a hit on the Halfling (the house die was not working for me at all!).  But in the end of it all, the Gnome "killed a man with a trident" to become the only surviving combatant.   
  I believe it was a great turn out for the arena with the chains on the teams.  There weren't any issues to delay any part of the game which was awesome.  It was also funny when a persons teammate was killed they stated that they cut the dead persons arm off so they don't have to drag a dead person around with them.  I am looking forward to future arenas. 

-Chad

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
That sounds pretty awesome.  :)
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel