Author Topic: Possible Vamp list  (Read 2977 times)

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
Re: Possible Vamp list
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »
i agree, josh's next build should be 3 huge units of them.

Hankin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »
Well a unit of say 6 could hang by the engines get the 5+ regen then charge out and start some hurt.  but I just feel the CH are so much better for my list, VG seem such a loss of points possibility in the long run.

Khrimson Death

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
I have 2 vargulfs, and have run both in games and some games with just 1. I can honestly say that they never live up to 175pts worth. 4 wounds is just to easy to overcome these days on a beast that cost that much. My vote is for crypt horrors all the way. I will never field the vargulf again. amazing model, amazing concept, just falls short of effective. I am glad in the new book it got +2 intiative, but it should have been +2 wounds. Especially since ranks and banners will alone take him down after the first round of combat. To escape ranks and banner crumble and an incoming enfilade of enemy attacks. . . 4 wounds for 175pts is not gonna cut it.

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »
It's not the kind of unit that's ment to fight blocks alone. It's a supporting unit for flank protection.

Khrimson Death

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 11:56:02 PM »
yea, i know, it just never seems to end up that way when the thick of it starts. I try to employ that strategy and stick to it. There is a lot of flaming abound these days which doesnt help at all, atleast in plainville that is

Khrimson Death

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:24 AM »
i just think the crypt horrors are an obvious replacement, because they are more survivable for the pts and have the potential to do more damage for the pts. also although m7 and marching is nice. I would rather heal the 1+wizrd levels than just 1 wound per cast. and at movement 7 and marching its easy to get the vargulf out of the bubble and into combat first in order to avoid ranged attacks. Dont get me wrong I am very fond of the gulf. I just think it lacks in the current enviornment as do most monsters these days. there will be more games where they dissapoint then be the mvp.

Hankin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »
I agree he is expensive for his role.  But, he is a great wild card, which is one thing my armies need because of my playstyle.  Also, for my army, go ahead and shoot him, that means my engines and CH are crusing around unharmed.
Because of this threat range on charges, he also is a very good cascader and since he doesn't have flanks or rear, you can let fast cav charge you from anyside and lose big.

Khrimson Death

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »
if he fits your playstyle then by all means let him run amuck. both mine will continue to collect dust. More crypt horrors would be even better in your list though cause they would actually benefit from your mortis engines. Anything toughness 5 can be a devastatingly up hill battle for many a units never mind the 4+ regen. Not trying to rile anyone up, just putting my 2 sense in is all. I love vargulfs, 4 wounds is just measely for a thunderstomping monster. I cant think of any with less wounds. You would figure it would be the other way around for VC.

Hankin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
You are right, he is almost the points od another 5 CH...lol
Man I love the options of the new book.

Hankin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:01 AM »
Ok, last change.  Dropped the wraith and lore of beasts.  Made baby vamp a lvl 2 shadow and bsb.  Figured lvl 2 shadow is the same cost as the forb. Lore for beasts and shadow is a great all comers lore and place swapping is fun times.  Also the bsb is needed as I lose blood and glory before I start turn 1...

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 07:36:49 PM »
yeah i think those are good changes overall. i have a love affair with beast magic but you can't argue with shadow as an all-comers lore. and the sig spell is definitely on par with wyssan's. and yeah the lore attribute has some great potential to keep your necro out of trouble (or bring the ghoul king in when someone thinks they've caught your BSB muahahahaha)