Author Topic: Lizardman Army Draft  (Read 3210 times)

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • So what're we playing today?
Lizardman Army Draft
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
Alright, so I finally got the Codex for Lizardmen and have been reading it consistently. I only bought the battalion and am either considering buying another one or whatever pieces that appeal to me. I don't have the rules book yet, so I'll build up points and ask someone to teach me, since everyone at Abington seems more than wanting to teach me since more players = more fun games.

Just some friendly advice as to what I should get next since the battalion barely even gives 800 points and how I want to build my army I have no clue.
I got a 1!....That's a good thing, right?

As quoted: Moonie, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Cale, "I would make love to a camel. But it would have to be a mint chocolate chip one."

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
Re: Lizardman Army Draft
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
I've yet to see someone NOT use a Slann Mage... they seem really useful and strong.

I also hate them, little buggers cause me nothing but trouble! :(
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
yep, get a slann, and then at least 2-3 solid saurus blocks, some chameleons, some salamanders and then fill it out with whatever you want. a lot of people go for temple guard in order to have a stubborn block but with steadfast and cold-blooded, i think regular saurus fit the bill just as well.

i don't play lizardmen though, this is all from getting bent over the table by them.

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
I have been told get a Slaan, they are ridiculous and after reading their rules (their special rules) they seem pretty stupid in the magic department of awesome. I'll probably get 2 skinks priests to complement it.

I'm not convinced of the chameleon skinks, what makes them good?

As quoted: Moonie, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Cale, "I would make love to a camel. But it would have to be a mint chocolate chip one."

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
Lots of poison and ranged attacks, if they're the ones I'm thinking of.  Beyond that I'm not sure.

Of course, I also remember what happened to that unit... 30 of them did 1 ranged wound to Rat Ogres, who then proceeded to physically violate the entire unit.

I know that Mike has a good Lizardman army, and someone else had them on Tuesday, but I don't think he's on the forums.

I'm also using Rhys' logic... never played or built a Lizardman army, this is just my view from the other side of the table... freaking Slann...

EDIT: Had to look them up, Chameleon Skinks are like my Gutter Runners, skirmishers and scouts, main use is getting behind enemy lines and harassing war machines / anything small you can pick off with range / poison.  Can be awesome, can also do absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:21:46 PM by Frosthydra »
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

Hankin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:44:25 PM »
The good thing about them is for 60 points, you can posion warmachines (10 shots is 1-2 posion wounds, 3 kills a WM), redirect chargers, are cold blooded and at -2 to shoot at, tough the take out unless you focus on them. 
Also they are great cascading chargers, causing the enemy to really reconsider a flee reaction.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
I have been told get a Slaan, they are ridiculous and after reading their rules (their special rules) they seem pretty stupid in the magic department of awesome. I'll probably get 2 skinks priests to complement it.

I'm not convinced of the chameleon skinks, what makes them good?

chameleons are STUPID good, josh's post is really just the tip of the iceberg of what you can do with those guys. i'd also advise against multiple skink priests, every time i've come up against them, they have done literally nothing. slann EAT power dice, your priests are not going to get a chance to do anything. and if you think you're going to need them as back up casters, don't bother, if the slann goes down chances are you already lost. the only reason i would include one is to carry the cube of darkness or a scroll, and even then only after your slann is kitted out and you've got at least 2 solid blocks and stuff to support them.

Khrimson Death

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:12 AM »
yea, slann with loremaster, ruination and ethera and cupped handsl is a good start. not so fun to play against, but fun to play with i suppose.

chameleon skins are mint and so are salamander once you get the hang of them. they are def. a finese unit, so dont get distraught if they get gacked easily until you learn to play them.

saurus blocks are as sturdy as they come, and get gross if you can buff them with magic.

saurus cav are expensive for role and usually dissapoint unless there is a killy old blood in the unit. can provide a fast flank, very vulnerable with only a 2+ save

stegadons usually eat cannon balls
skink priests are useless in the presence of a slann unless you use them for a dispel caddy.
reg. skink units tend to fair well as cheap throw away hordes if its your style and cold blooded around the generals presence can be used as a tie up unit.
kroxigors, terradons, jungle swarms, and razordons are rarely ever seen. there is a reason for this.

thats my @ sense :)

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 12:18:18 AM »
...get gacked easily...

lol, always wondered how you spelled that

Demonster

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:38:52 AM »

.....kroxigors, terradons, jungle swarms, and razordons are rarely ever seen. there is a reason for this.

May I ask why this is? I am amused by the Kroxigors since they can go in a core unit of Skinks to use up points and seem stupidly strong with a good amount of attacks.

Also thank you guys for contributing, I'm aiming more for fun, but most of the people that play over at Abington are very good, so I'd rather have something decent than dead lizards ready to be roasted!

Shadow76

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:17:34 AM »
The cham skinks are amazing, as are the salamanders.  the key is get the LOS arc.  always stay out of charge arc.  if you have a choice of shooting and getting charged or stay out of LOS for a shot next turn, stay out of LOS.  they are a finesse unit.

a slain with crown of stubborn and the lordship banner fits in a saurus unit nicely.  stubborn lordship 10, cold blooded, with 35 saurus.  he then promptly got Killing blow on him last game. :(  i was sad.

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
The problem with krox in a skink unit is that the skinks are so easy to kill. So they end up giving up a lot of combat rez.

Razordons are just not as good as salamanders. They are expensive and don't do as much damage.

Jungle swarms fill the same roll as skinks, but don't do it as well and cost more.

Teradons are good. Most GT armys have a unit or two. Drop rocks is a great ability.

Lizard men are a very good army. So play the things you enjoy playing.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »
The Drop Rocks is useful from Teradons, the only problem that I've seen with them (again, from the side of fighting them) is that they die VERY easily.

I've been able to pretty much wipe them out before they get to anything worth dropping rocks on, and once they've dropped the rocks... they are pretty much ineffective from there.

3 Teradons without rocks left LOST in melee to my Warp Lightning Cannon... I was able to wipe out the unit without losing my Cannon... which is really quite bad.

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »
That's just the dice. Normally they will take out a war machine. As for you wiping them out, yeah if you fight skaven stuff gets shoot up. That's normal. If I didn't play anything that skaven can wipe out with shooting and magic I wouldn't have an army.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
I suppose that's possible without the rocks.  I think it was 4s and 4s for both him wounding the Cannon and my hurting the Teradons as well.

I've just generally found them to be mostly unimpressive when they've come for me, might have just been bad dice or unlucky situations.  One unfortunate game they were the closest unit to my Doomwheel during the shooting phase... bad times there.

The other time... I think they just got sniped by Warp Lightning to pop them off.  I'd imagine that if your opponent wants to, they can counter their effectiveness fairly easily...

... At least I'm thinking it's not just Skaven?