Author Topic: Help with highlighting?  (Read 1463 times)

King of the Elves

Help with highlighting?
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:00:52 AM »
Hey all, now that i have a lot of the basic painting skills down (washing, drybrushing) i now need help with highlighting. Any tips, pics, vids, links, or help of any kind would be great thanks, Dylan

Henry R

• Heroic Tier Level 4
  • Rust Bucket
    • Email
Re: Help with highlighting?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »
The easiest and most basic form of highlighting is "line highlights." Take a small brush and paint a line on any hard edge that would catch light (with a color that's a shade lighter than the base color). I'm just about to paint so I'll post a picture of what I mean.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »
You'll use a lighter shade of paint to highlight, and it creates an opposite effect of using washes. (Washes create depth, highlighting makes things pop up.) Don't be afraid to use a color significantly lighter and don't make the lines so thin that they can't be seen from a distance.

Wish I had links for you, but I've simply experimented and read the Citadel How to Paint Miniatures book.

jfoodmaster

• Paragon Tier Level 12
  • For the United Kriels!
    • Building and Painting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
Hey Dylan. There are lots of articles at this site as well as links to other sites where people do nice work.
http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/
Ron has an awesome site. It's one of the best sites of its kind on the 'net. Check it. You'll love it.