Author Topic: Re: WM/H stock issues at Battleground  (Read 8409 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: WM/H stock issues at Battleground
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:30:09 PM »
It has been brought to my attention that a few of the regulars are disappointed in the WM/H stock at both the Abington and Plainville locations.

This is due to a combination of the following things, as well as others:

1) The unreliable availability of items, especially new or newer, through the distribution channels that we use (the two largest in the country).

2) The sales trends / interest levels over the winter and spring + lack of apparent interest at PAX.

3) The displacement of core players to other systems.

Battleground has always tried to represent WM/H.  We have never made an attempt to stock the entire line.  Our stock levels have adjusted with interest, popularity, influx of new players, and event interest + attendance.  When it comes to our regulars we have always gone with the, "request it and we'll do our best to get it here ASAP" method vs. the "try to keep multiples of everything good on the shelf" method.

If players would like specific models PLEASE let ME know about it.

Further, if the more experienced players / members of the community notice that our stock on certain, critical models is non-existent or below where they know it should be, please bring it to our attention.

We have zero interest in disappointing any of our players.  Our stock simply reflects trends that may or may not be apparent.  (Ex. last summer WM/H had a bit of an explosion, so both locations increased their stock to support that, this spring we saw the opposite and adjusted to support that.)  If the Colossals breath life back into the WM/H community, our stock will likely reflect that.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:10:04 AM »
*cough* minuteman light warjack for cygnar *cough*

Only complaint I have Chase, is the lack of the new releases.  I understand the problem well enough and am willing to wait but it is a bit annoying.

The minuteman was almost a comical representation of the problem.  Sean's league helped, well with me and I even noticed some new people coming around. 

I'm just not quite sure what we are going to do with the 6 magnus warcasters on the wall.  ;)

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »
I think we should try to get some regular WM/H events going again.  I know I missed some last ones (but that is because you always schedule them when I am away for something else chase!).
I prefer events in plainville, but I would go to abington for a tournament (I was moving the weekend of the last one).

As for leagues, I would really only be able to do plainville.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
What he said ^

I honestly don't mind the supply issue, i have found that if i order something through you guys I get it pretty promptly. But i do think that a good way to get some interest going would be to have another event. Even with the small battle box tournament, a bunch of non regulars showed up who said they lived close and would like more events. I think another steam roller or a league of some kind would be a great way to raise the interest levels. Just my two cents
Tau theme song, "jump around"

jfoodmaster

• Paragon Tier Level 12
  • For the United Kriels!
    • Building and Painting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 02:55:55 PM »
The reality of gamers is that they're impulsive. If they're in the store and go 'I want a unit of Stormblades' and it's there, they're gonna get it. That impulse leaves almost as soon as thry leave the store. They might goget it online, but they will likely not buy it or want to wait. That's a core unit that every store should have in stock.

There are core things that should be in stock. If a new player is gonna start Cygnar (for example), they'll probably want gun mages, stormblades w/UA and Ol Rowdy.

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:09:49 PM »
Sounds like new players need to get in to magnus

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
The reality of gamers is that they're impulsive. If they're in the store and go 'I want a unit of Stormblades' and it's there, they're gonna get it.

As someone who has been thinking/trying to get into the game this is exactly what I have been trying to do for a while. I tend to shop at battle grounds using the "Shiny Penny Method" where I see something that catches my eye. Either a unit I was told was good for one of the WM/H forces I'm trying to build, or I think of an idea for that model that is just way beyond my skill level, but looks really cool in my imagination.

So in closing please order some core/useful units for Warmachine.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:54:35 AM »
Yeah, one particular thing i noticed, no winter guard infantry, or steel head infantry. Both of those are tremendously popular. +1 for core units
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 04:28:23 AM »
If regulars would like specific models, please ask whoever is at the desk to make sure it gets ordered.

Having multiples of old, dead models is a result of Dave Goss syndrome (where people order stuff and never buy it), shifting product between the stores, ordering mistakes, distributor mistakes, product mistakes, and number changes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:31:15 AM by Chase »

King of the Elves

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 04:59:04 AM »
Having multiples of old, dead models is a result of Dave Goss syndrome (where people order stuff and never buy it

Lol!  ;D

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 01:02:56 PM »
So Chase, there is the thread about Colossals and the new book...

Just saying, I know that will continue the spark of interest and those models should be stocked as well.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »

Just saying, I know that will continue the spark of interest and those models should be stocked as well.

They should be stocked, but I don't know how well. Since the rules for Colossals came out in the newest NQ I don't know how many copies of the book it would be necessary to get. Plus I don't know how many $125-135 models people plan on getting. For everyone like me who will eventually own several between all my factions, there's probably like five or so casual gamers who will take a pass on them. New releases spark interest in the game, but I don't know if you ought to go crazy ordering tons of new stuff.

A lot of it is cyclical and its easy to see it from all sides. As a customer you want options whenever you walk into a store. As a store owner you can't always have everything available, and sometimes you adjust to interest. But then again stock can affect interest so it can be a tough call when it comes time to place orders.

In short I'd say that I get BG's overall position, but would suggest maybe having a few staple items on the wall. The thing with Warmachine and Hordes is that one or two models can totally change the dynamic of your list. I'd consider having one of each caster (save maybe the pricey ones like Terminus and Karchev) and the plastic jack/beast kits available.

When it comes to PP I think what you have to do is capitalize on the influx when it happens. PP tends to hit you with both barrels in the summertime, but then leave you hanging as the winter months set in. I won't get into it, but I think their production issues from a year or so ago hurt things. Waiting 18+ months for models to come out is both bullshit and an interest killer. I think it would be wise to mobilize for the summer months and take advantage of the excitement for the new releases. There's a good release event package available that would be fun. Maybe a bigger tournament (50-75) later in the summer once 2-3 Colossals are on the shelves?

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »

There's a good release event package available that would be fun. Maybe a bigger tournament (50-75) later in the summer once 2-3 Colossals are WoldWrath is on the shelves?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »

Here's what will likely happen with the Colossals and new book:

We will order a bunch of copies of the new book and when each Colossal comes out we will order enough of that particular one to cover preorders + 1 or 2.  After that, the particular Colossal will likely be out of stock for 2-3 months.  That's how new shit from PP works, esp. cool new shit.

This gives us a couple choices...  We can order more than normal and hope, or we can order the normal amount and potentially not have any in stock for a long, long time.

If players are sure they are going to pick one or more up, please let us know about it ahead of time.  135 dollar models are a very, very strange thing for the game store...  Good thing they look totally badass.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 03:58:22 PM »
I will be sure to email, post here, post on facebook and smoke signal you then. ;)