Author Topic: Resin bases  (Read 2824 times)

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Resin bases
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »
So i just got a bunch of resin bases in the mail i ordered from Dragonforge.com for my Vostroyans.

My question is the site suggests...

Attach figures to them. I use a 1/32 diameter brass rod/wire and drill into the feet and into the base and glue with a good CA glue. Sometimes I will pre-drill everything and glue the figure to the base once painting is done.

I know lots of other people at BG have used resin bases and i'm wondering if you guys have gone the rod route or just glued them on?

thanks in advance
-Jason

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
Re: Resin bases
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:11:15 PM »
depending on how porous the resin is glue will hold for only so long.  Best best is rod/pin method to make sure they stay stuck
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »
I have pinned all of my models to their resin bases. Nothing worse than having your model fall off its base

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:23 PM »
just use a paperclip
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:43:13 AM »
So i just got a bunch of resin bases in the mail i ordered from Dragonforge.com for my Vostroyans.

I put in an order for the Vostroyans alone today, Jason.  They'll be in Plainville as soon as GW can get them there.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »

I put in an order for the Vostroyans alone today, Jason.  They'll be in Plainville as soon as GW can get them there.

thanks Chase, hopefully they come sooner than the 3-4 weeks the GW site says lol

and as far as the bases sounds like pinning is the only way to go, what do you guys use? i've watched a few how to guides online and looks like some use wire while others use paperclips

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »
I'm a big paper clip fan they are cheap easy to use and they are everywhere until you run out in the middle of a project.

Chris

• Heroic Tier Level 7
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »
If you do not have a pin vice, gale force nine's comes with some two diffrent sized brass rods.  I got mine from BG so they can probably still get them, and they are cheaper than GW.

http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=348&art_id=1829
We do not stop playing because we get old. We get old when we stop playing.  -Benjamin Franklin

When you come to the end and you can't go any farther, you've got to go over the wall. Gotta see what's there.  -Gary Gygax

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
If you do not have a pin vice, gale force nine's comes with some two diffrent sized brass rods.  I got mine from BG so they can probably still get them, and they are cheaper than GW.

http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=348&art_id=1829

i haven't picked up a pin vise yet, ill be sure to check out GF9s one

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
cleaning up resin bases
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
So i've finally got some time to clean up these bases for the vostroyans and i did what i normally do for resin which is a soak and scrub in dish soap.

But looking at the website i got it from it is suggesting using ajax or comet to clean the mold release off and give it a "tooth" to paint on

Comet sounds a little bit overkill and abrasive to me but what do i know, think i'm good with the soap scrub or should i hit them sith something harsher?

Thoughts?

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »
I just use Dish-soap and a toothbrush, and i've never had an issue with Mold release