Author Topic: Cleaning Up the Forums  (Read 1587 times)

draxous

• Email
Cleaning Up the Forums
« on: May 02, 2009, 03:08:39 AM »
If there are moderators just a suggestion. I see many old posts about looking for new players. Is there a way we can section off "cold" Looking for Players and Hot ones. I know you can simply look at the date but perhaps it would make it easier to navigate....just a suggestion.
Draxous Hellfire lv. 9 Swordmage Dragonborn
Cronus Invictus lv. 9 Fighter Goliath

draxous

• Email
Re: Cleaning Up the Forums
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 03:09:45 AM »
Actually thinking of it just making a separate one for looking for more might help and having an option of changing the icon to full...idk just thinking.
Draxous Hellfire lv. 9 Swordmage Dragonborn
Cronus Invictus lv. 9 Fighter Goliath

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 05:52:49 PM »
A lot of the people who post stuff about looking for players do not end up filling spots quickly due to not running their game here at the store.  For this reason I like to leave the threads untouched so that when someone does stumble upon the topic they can still shoot that person an email asking about the game if they chose.

Marking threads as "cold" or "full" is likely to hurt the chances of anyone looking at them or sending an email out to the person running the game.  This hurts the game that is looking for players AND it hurts the players looking for games.

If people are concerned with the age of a post they can just take a look, like you said.  I believe the date should not discourage a potential player from inquiring about a game he or she is interested in.  Maybe I'm alone in my opinion?

It certainly can't hurt to send out a quick email or post to someone explaining who you are, what you're interested in, and when you're available.  People have had quite a bit of success with that over time.

Best of luck in your search, man!  :)
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:04:41 PM »
A lot of the people who post stuff about looking for players do not end up filling spots quickly due to not running their game here at the store.  For this reason I like to leave the threads untouched so that when someone does stumble upon the topic they can still shoot that person an email asking about the game if they chose.

Marking threads as "cold" or "full" is likely to hurt the chances of anyone looking at them or sending an email out to the person running the game.  This hurts the game that is looking for players AND it hurts the players looking for games.

If people are concerned with the age of a post they can just take a look, like you said.  I believe the date should not discourage a potential player from inquiring about a game he or she is interested in.  Maybe I'm alone in my opinion?

It certainly can't hurt to send out a quick email or post to someone explaining who you are, what you're interested in, and when you're available.  People have had quite a bit of success with that over time.

Best of luck in your search, man!  :)

I have no official standing anywhere and no power whatsoever in the cosmic scheme of things but I want to echo Chase's sentiments.  He is a wise guy who knows what he's talking about.  Plus, he's a D&D guru (like Derek).  Thumbs up!

As an aside, I think most people are not only willing but expecting to see what threads are older and what are newer based on their dates.  That is why a lot of online communities don't like necromancers (not in DND, but people who resurrect old threads without contributing anything useful to the dead discussion).
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes