Author Topic: Imperial Guard Re-born  (Read 9183 times)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: Imperial Guard Re-born
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »
i guess joke armies go along with 40k: joke (5th) edition.

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 01:35:34 AM »
Fluffwise, for the airforce you are talking an imperial naval squadron assigned to a specific guard regiment as their air support.  They adopt to color patterns of either a.) The theatre appropriate camoflauge or b.) Adopt the pattern of the unit they are assigned to.

There is a good explaination in the codex I believe

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 10:04:05 AM »
There is a good description of what imperial airforce is suppose to look like in the FW Imperial Armor book, the first I think.
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
Fluffwise, for the airforce you are talking an imperial naval squadron assigned to a specific guard regiment as their air support.  They adopt to color patterns of either a.) The theatre appropriate camouflage or b.) Adopt the pattern of the unit they are assigned to.

There is a good explanation in the codex I believe

Those are two good ways to have a united color scheme.  I'm assuming the aircraft will be detached to your unit for a long stay?  If so, they will be reporting to your regimental commander, and the extra armor would be added that makes them skimmers rather than true flyers.  For such a long term assignment, a paint job would be in character.

Also, dark blue and black might possibly be a navy uniform pattern.  While the Navy is not supposed to have enough ground force to support an insurrection, one occasionally sees players running an Imperial Guard or Demon Hunter force as a naval detachment.

But do what makes you happy.  One can find fluff to justify many approaches.  Generally, I'd recommend a unified paint scheme, but my own Guard force can at best be described as 'irregulars.'  Most of my force started as chaos cultists, as civilians given weapons at last moment, fighting out of desperation.  Thus, I'm in no position to say one approach is the true approach.  Whatever fits.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
Im thinking ill do the aircraft in a Fortress gray color with dark blue squad markings on various spots. The idea of these aircraft is they are the imperial navy making their presence known on the battle field and supporting the imperial soldiers from the air.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
The idea of these aircraft is they are the imperial navy making their presence known on the battle field and supporting the imperial soldiers from the air.

That's usually what support aircraft do.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »
I was explaining it to the previous post rob  :P

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »
so are you going to be using them as mainly a transport ship or a Gun boat??  I mean you can pull off both but for fluff reasons what role would you like them to play.

I know Alan was able to pull out alot of firepower out of one of his and the other just zipped around the board taking pot shots and moving troops.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 10:28:25 PM »
i will have Valkaries that will be transport gun ships which will be painted in the scheme of the rest of the guard veichles since they are part of imperial guard not the imperial navy. The fighters are all gun craft one of them is a super heavy bomber.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30:29 PM »
Valks are from the Imperial Navy.
beep bop boop

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 11:09:20 PM »

Yes, and when they show up for front line service they get repainted :)
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 03:54:06 PM »

I would think this would generally be true in a majority of cases, especially if it is to be a long term assignment, the aircraft will be based on the ground, there is common terrain that has an optimal camouflage pattern associated with it, and the pilots don't particularly have a great deal of stubborn pride.

But the Imperium doesn't seem to believe in standardization in colors and paint schemes.  This is way low on their priority.  Every chapter and every regiment seems to have their own scheme.  Unit pride and identity seems to be a lot more important than quick recognition on the battle field.

So if you really want to do a navy scheme, just write up a bit of fluff.  I wouldn't be hopeful that a non-unified scheme will gain you points from tourney judges, though.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »

I would think this would generally be true in a majority of cases, especially if it is to be a long term assignment, the aircraft will be based on the ground, there is common terrain that has an optimal camouflage pattern associated with it, and the pilots don't particularly have a great deal of stubborn pride.

But the Imperium doesn't seem to believe in standardization in colors and paint schemes.  This is way low on their priority.  Every chapter and every regiment seems to have their own scheme.  Unit pride and identity seems to be a lot more important than quick recognition on the battle field.

So if you really want to do a navy scheme, just write up a bit of fluff.  I wouldn't be hopeful that a non-unified scheme will gain you points from tourney judges, though.

I could have sworn Valks are not imperial navy. Huh oh well. Ive pretty much decided my fliers will all be a grey with a blue squadron marking on the hull. Points from judges? when will I be submitting mostly stuff that is not allowed in tourneys in the first place to be judged? The only craft I can see in the guard's scheme are Valks and Vultures because I originaly thought those craft were not part of imperial navy and used by the guard and P.D.F (Planetary Defence Force) armies much like Leman Russ and Chimeras are strictly theirs.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »
I could have sworn Valks are not imperial navy.

The obvious bit of fluff is the second paragraph of the entry in the new Guard codex.  (Page 56)  "With a few notable exceptions, Valkyries are under the control of the Imperial Navy and are attached to Imperial Guard regiments on an as need basis."  They go on to talk about adding armor when a Valkyrie is to be assigned long term.  I assume this is fluff for why the Guard codex rates them as skimmers in straight 40K games, while there are also Apocalypse rules that let you play them as true flyers.  I sort of assume that a repaint could be done at the same time the armor is added.  One might imply that a Valkyrie rigged as a true flyer might be more likely to be still in navy paint.

But I would interpret the reference to 'notable exceptions' as an implied permission to do whatever you feel like doing.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
Ah found the entry myself that says they are Naval. Any way Im thinking when I paint my fliers to do a grey color scheme with Blue squad markings. Valks I will paint in the color scheme of the tanks of the army which is blue with black camo pattern. I think Alan took that scheme approach with his tanks but did them in green and brown I cant quite recall. The guardsmen themselves will have blue flak armor and black fatigues. I guess you can say my unit comes from the Ultimar sector.