Author Topic: Chess  (Read 3336 times)

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
Chess
« on: July 09, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
Chess is, of course, a classic "board game" that nearly everybody knows how to play.  It's a great strategy game and is perhaps one of the hardest board games to actually say you can master.  A year or two ago, for a brief period of time it got hugely popular at BG (I have no clue why), but then died out like most of those games do.  I have many chess sets (I like collecting different kinds) and would love to play.  It's great fun as I'm sure many of you will agree, and it would be nice to find one or two others who'd like to have a game against another BG friend occasionally.

On a semi-similar note, I still have the game Go.  I'd love to play against someone, and teach them if need be. :D
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
Re: Chess
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:43:23 AM »
I used to be in Chess Club back in 8th grade and again in 9th.  Since then I've stopped playing and suck majorly.  But, I don't mind getting my a$$ handed to me.

I've heard good things about Go.  The Japanese always did know a good thing when they saw it.  I'm up for learning that too.  Maybe try next Wednesday if you're around?
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:45:01 AM »
Haha, chances are we'll be equal.  I haven't had that many games over the years either.

I'll bring a basic chess set I have (so it's more portable) and my Go game next Wednesday.

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:38:03 AM »
I would also like to play a nice game of chess.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:54:30 AM »
Sims, thanks for the intro game of Go tonight.  I know I was a total n00b but I actually enjoyed it.  This'll sound odd but I find it a relaxing game to play and to me, based on tonight's game, doesn't matter if I win or lose.  It is a fun game to do.  I'm sure there's a ton more strategy involved too.  Lots of room to grow.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:04:28 AM »
Same here.  Though highly strategic, it's so simple that you can just relax while you figure out how to play.  I was for the most part a n00b too.  The only thing I had over you was knowing the rules before you came.  I hope to play you more often, as I can see us finding really great strategies in the game.  Talk to you soon.

cursedchidori

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:00:32 PM »
chess is an awesome game i wish i could play it more. its very relaxing as long as you have people who want to have a fun game. I played a few people that just care about winning as fast as possible and just drains the fun out of the game.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »
When I worked at YMG, after work we'd head over to a bar next door with a chess mat and play until closing. Seriously, the best times I've ever had in a bar.
beep bop boop

Iacton Qruze

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 03:37:10 PM »
Not to engage in threadomancy, but its an odd fact that one of the very best (IMHO the best) serious chess clubs in the Southern Mass, RI area is the Sven Brask Club, which happens to meet in Plainville, probably less than half a mile from  Battleground, Wed nights. I used to go up there weekly from Cranston RI to play in tournaments for about 3 years a couple of years ago.
http://svenbraskcc.org/
I'm always up for a game of blitz ('serious' chess is just too hard if you do it right  :)) and will throw the clock in the car the next time I come up just in case.
Just remember, manling.... the Bloodthirster is MINE.-
-G. Gurnisson

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »
Rob, you need to play my dad in chess sometime, he's an official chess master (he always bragged that he got into the highschool chess team in 4th grade) and we have plaques and trophys all over the house (he played lots of go too)