Author Topic: Storm and Shadows Frustrations... Let's talk about community  (Read 3953 times)

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • We are an ocean of rage. We are the Lamenters.
    • Email
Storm and Shadows Frustrations... Let's talk about community
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:16:23 PM »
I have to say, I'm pretty frustrated with how the hammer blow scenario went down.  This was an opportunity to have a truly fun set of large point value games which otherwise seem to never happen, be it due to scheduling, lack of enthusiasm, or some other reason.  Of the four planets I was on at the end of the game, I played exactly zero Hammer Blow games.  Half of the planets I was on decided to just split the money, which is fine.  On the other half, I set aside a day for the game, only to be blown off, in one case with an hour's notice, in the other, no notice at all. 

I wish people would understand that when they say they're going to be somewhere for something, it means that other people are  setting aside time in their schedules.  I very well could have done something fun this Sunday, but cleared space in my calendar for a game.

With all due respect to the majority of excellent players and friendly folks, I'm incredibly soured to the Abington community as a whole.  The whining, rules lawyering (and in some cases, outright cheating), and most of all flakiness of some here means it will most likely be quite a while before I return.  I'll be there for the post-mortem, as I think there are a few mechanics that can be fixed, but frankly, the Abington community (IMHO) needs to do some soul-searching before another significant undertaking like the Storms and Shadows campaign is likely to be successful.

Please know that I'm not trying to start a flame war Plainville vs. Abington bullshit thread.  I'm not a Plainville person or an Abington person, I'm just Brad, and I'm just sharing my experiences honestly, and without filtering.  If you'd like to have a frank, honest discussion with me, let's talk. 
Too busy being AWESOME to listen to your whining.

Name: Brad Powers
Club Affiliation: BRAD CLUB
Where I play: Yes

MM3791

• God
Re: Storm and Shadows Frustrations... Let's talk about community
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
I'm not surprised people bailed on Polaris, everyone works 9-5 and the date was for a Monday night. It would've been a lot more practical to do on the weekend, as rushing out of work and playing into Tuesday morning is not very appealing at all.

Yea I cancelled within the hour but its better then giving no notice at all. Had I known everyone else didn't care then I would've played you on the weekend, as I'm pretty confident my 3000pt force would've beat your 2000pt'er.

I think that the Campaign was an over success, despite the communication and constant map update issues. I am also looking forward to the post-mordem to offer advice for improvement. Paul did do a great job designing it, so hopefully we can do it once a year.

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »
You're missing the point Mike.  Cancelling on me within the hour means that anything else I could have done with my Monday night is right out the window.  You made it perfectly clear that you were available, and in so doing secured a place on my personal calendar, as well as that of the other 3 players on the planet.  Not showing up (even with a whopping hour's notice) is disrespectful.  That's what I'm trying to address here. 

With regards to a one on one, you're missing the point.  I didn't sign up for a one on one game, I signed up, and cleared my schedule for, a massive, awesome megabattle.  You denied us all that opportunity.

I agree that the campaign was a success overall, but my point here (that you appear to be missing completely) is that there is a LOT that the community here needs to do before running events like this even makes sense.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
Ok I understand your frustration but I was only one player on one planet.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:06:11 AM by MM3791 »

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »
Agreed.  This thread isn't about you or me.  It's about the community.

Thomas callahan

• Order
  • Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »
Not realy. Its more about work times and family times then community times. Community is their but its not priority to most people unless it fits into thier times. And thats why nearly all the planets split.
Blood bowl W14-L14-T1
40K 0-0
Hords 2-1

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »
speaking from a purely observational stand point as I was not a part of the campaign but an avid follower of its various ups and downs.  I would just state one thing above all else.  This was still a test run for this system, while there were various places that issues arose they have been documented as have the other points that people found less than pleasing. Examples would fall in to the general areas that you have already stated. 

I do find it a little unsettling that you would leave the gaming community in this particular store due to the end of event problems that you ran into.  Saddly, games get missed.  Your are right that it is very fustrating to put aside time only to have it wasted, it seems by the way you are vocalizing it though that you feel as though you were maliciously ignored.  As the previous posters had stated sometimes things come up.  It is unfortinate that you did not get to take part in the end scenerios.  But, the bright side is that this particular experience will lead to future rules ensuring consequences to players who do not show up.  I.E. an automatic forfeit along with a time constraint as to when the games must be played by.

As I said before though I feel very saddened by the idea that a few bad experiences during a still evolving campaign would cause you to turn from the community as a whole.  Hopfully you will give us another chance, I believe there is more good than bad in abington's 40k community you being part of the good.  It would be a shame to lose an ethusiastic player just when it seems abington's 40k community is starting to gear up to a more regular state of play.

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »
I understand where you're coming from Jester.  I also completely understand that this was a sort of open beta for the campaign system.  I don't think that's the issue here.  My problem with the community is a lack of apparent respect for fellow players.  Missing a game is one thing.  Blowing off a game with no notice is an entirely different thing.  Also, it was hardly just the two apoc games that were blown off, they just sting the worst given the investment of time.  I understand that things come up, but when things come up, you have a few choices to make (and yes, the are CHOICES).  You can choose to not make it to a game.  You can choose to contact your opponent so they don't waste 2 hours of their time waiting for you to show up. 

Ultimately, Battleground is still the best game in town for 40k.  The reason that I'm leaving Abington is that the community in Plainville is so good, and it's 15 minutes further away (well worth it).  I think I'm hardly the only one to go, by the way.  I suspect that there are a large number of folks who are probably very bitter about how some things went down in the campaign, rightfully so or not.

Serring

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
So brad does this mean you can't make it on Sun/Sat or not? You're the only one who hasn't said.

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »
I'll be there, whichever day we actually decide on.  I spaced on Nitoris needing a game, given that I haven't heard anything for a long time.