Author Topic: zepplins instead of valkyries for imperial guard  (Read 2989 times)

spoonsaur

• Heroic Tier Level 5
  • He who buys too much
zepplins instead of valkyries for imperial guard
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
do you think this would fly?
Name: Bryan "spoon" Dupuis
Club: Plainville

Tyranids 4000 points
Dark Eldar 5000 points
Sons of Solomon (ultramarines) 4000

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
Re: zepplins instead of valkyries for imperial guard
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:49:13 PM »
I'm not sure they'd fly so much as float along at a leisurely pace.
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

IG Dan

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
Yes and no. From an immediate tactical (and realistically tabletop setting) no. The IG does however use some truly massive airships as mobile bases/transports on several worlds, most notably on Phantine.

A larger transport, a Zeppelin version of the Baneblade variant that can carry 40 troops might not be bad. But it would definitely fall into Super Heavy categorically.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:09:03 AM »
Go for it!
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »
Don't matter if it would fly or not, do it with no Greta your army your way.
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • We are an ocean of rage. We are the Lamenters.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »
Will it fly: The professional engineer's perspective..... yes.  Quite literally, you can make a brick ****house fly with sufficient power.  Not well, but that is left to the software engineers (read: Brads) to figure out.

The only issue with a fast zeppelin is that the manifold (the baloon thingy) creates a lot of drag.  You can go fast, but it'll take a lot of power.  Frankly, given that the GW universe seems to have INSANELY effective aircraft-scale power sources (for flying bricks like Stormravens and Thunderhawks), I actually think that a high speed zeppelin troop transport is *feasible*. 

*Why* is a good question.  A comparably sized winged aircraft could move faster and carry more payload for the same powerplant.  Then again, clearly the Imperium is very aesthetically oriented, and more than willing to do crazy things, so DO IT!  ALL THE AWEOME! 
Too busy being AWESOME to listen to your whining.

Name: Brad Powers
Club Affiliation: BRAD CLUB
Where I play: Yes

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
That message brought to you by Brad Club of America.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • We are an ocean of rage. We are the Lamenters.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »
Yeah, I do what I can.  Maybe more analysis than you were looking for, but there is certainly more to do :).  Thought for the day:  Has the Imperium perfected aircraft-scale fusion reactors where power out is greater than total power in?  We're at the point now that the power *out of the laser* is less than the power out of the material being fused, but we're faaaaar off from power *into the laser* being greater than power out of fusion.  It's certainly a possibility.
Too busy being AWESOME to listen to your whining.

Name: Brad Powers
Club Affiliation: BRAD CLUB
Where I play: Yes