Author Topic: Contingency with Dimension Door Question  (Read 4146 times)

Mike Bringin' DaFunk

Contingency with Dimension Door Question
« on: June 25, 2014, 04:28:25 AM »
Can someone who has Contingency setup with Dimension Door have the following occur:

A.
Monster and caster in a dungeon.
Monster attacks caster.
Contingency goes off.
Caster is Dimensioned Doored.
The player can place its character anywhere she/he wants in the dungeon that she/he has seen or does see or been to as long as it is within range of Dimension Door spell.

Or is it supposed to be like this

B.
Monster and caster in a dungeon.
Monster attacks caster.
Contingency goes off.
Caster is Dimensioned Doored.
The player can place its character only in a predetermined direction and distance. The predetermination was determined when dimension door was attached to contingency earlier. Such as Dimension Door backwards 30 feet.

Or is there a different way Contingency with Dimension Door should work?

uruz

• Email
Re: Contingency with Dimension Door Question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »
"The conditions needed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although they can be general. In all cases, the contingency immediately brings into effect the companion spell, the latter being “cast” instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur."

I would go with scenario A based on the above sentence, but it's not limited to within the dungeon. If "outside" is within range, you can go outside!

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
When Contingency is cast, Dimension Door is also cast. The parameters of Dimension Door are stated when the spell is cast. Thus, I believe the caster would have to declare either a specific location *or* a specific distance and direction when casting Contingency.

Hopefully for the caster he's neither out of range of his target location nor about to teleport into a wall.

Mike Bringin' DaFunk

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:18:30 AM »
After thorough research and discussion with multiple people over the last week when contingency goes off it is meant to be a pre-existing distance and direction or location must have been determined. This is good because it would be so incredible broken otherwise.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
Having played 3.5, the ability of any character to avoid 1 attack is not broken. Throwing cities is broken. Pun-Pun is broken.

Mike Bringin' DaFunk

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
Having played 3.5, the ability of any character to avoid 1 attack is not broken. Throwing cities is broken. Pun-Pun is broken.

Oh, I agree avoiding 1 attack is not broken.
I meant it is becomes extremely powerful if a character where the first attack is avoided. Then the character can place itself where it wants for tactical or strategic advantage without a set location.

Also, enlighten me on "throwing cities". What is "Pun-Pun"? I have not encountered either in Pathfinder.