Author Topic: Whisper or Echo tie phantom pilot?  (Read 1909 times)

rxstumpy

Whisper or Echo tie phantom pilot?
« on: January 14, 2015, 03:29:53 AM »
i have finally come over to the dark side! i would just like peoples input on the phantom since it seems like one of the most powerful imperial pieces (that i own)
Fight, Resist, Rebel

commanderfrost

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • X-Wing Community Thread!
    • Email
Re: Whisper or Echo tie phantom pilot?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
The Phantom is a challenging ship to learn, but very rewarding once you have mastered it. There are two upgrades that are, in my opinion, almost mandatory for both Echo and Whisper: Veteran Instincts and Advanced Cloaking Device.

The Advanced Cloaking Device will allow you to recloak after you have made an attack. This allows the ship to maintain that base of four agility dice. The only trick, is that you need to be shooting ahead of everyone else to keep this cloak up. That is where Veteran Instincts comes into play. Vet Instincts brings Whisper up to a Pilot Skill of 9, and Echo up to an 8 - both very good.

There are builds that obviously use several more upgrades than this, however they each have their own flavor.  Some examples are the "Buzzsaw" builds that use Fire Control Systems and Gunner, and resiliant builds that use Rebel Captive and Sensor Jammer.

Phantoms hate to see Ion and Stress, both of these tactics mess up their delicate cloak-move-recloak dance across the battlefield. Phantoms also hate to see pilots that have an equal or higher pilot skill, as this likely means that they are being shot at prior to their cloak being reactivated. There are cards that are coming out with Scum and Villainy that will be additional nuisances to the Phantom, but that is a little ways off.

Overall the Phantom is a monster to deal with on the battlefield, and it can take over a game, but the ship is not unbeatable. I look forward to seeing what you are able to come up with!

Be the positive change you want to see.

rxstumpy

Re: Whisper or Echo tie phantom pilot?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34:24 PM »
i played a few games with tom after the tourney on saturday.  i used the Echo, Carnor Jax tie interceptor and dark curse. it was fun. i also learned that turreted ships (looking at you han solo) are my enemy, i borrowed a VI off of tom and i have fought against enough phantoms to know advanced cloaking device is almost mandatory.
overall i thought it was fun, i'm gonna keep building up my imperial arsenal :D

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:36:16 PM by rxstumpy »
Fight, Resist, Rebel