Author Topic: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k 1850pt Singles Tournament- 5/9  (Read 11283 times)

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Re: [Plainville MA] Warhammer 40k 1850pt Singles Tournament- 5/9
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 01:32:00 AM »
Even if I showed this weekend and started playing again I don't think I'll be at tourney level, otherwise I'd play!  I might show up to watch though!

Man, don't let that stop you. I'm terrible at this game and plan on going!
beep bop boop

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 03:37:05 AM »
So, officially... Craftworld Eldar is legal for this tournament?

Yes.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Nathan B

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »
Cousin's bar mitzvah in Virginia that weekend. He likes WH40K, but I'm sure he'd rather I attend his shindig...

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 10:32:57 AM »
Thanks to the BG staff for putting on this event! It was a lot of fun with nearly 30 people turning up for games! Looking forward to the next one in June.

BlackRoze

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 01:29:20 AM »
 >:( This was just another Typical Battle Ground Warhammer Tournament. The same people end up some how winning the top prizes. And random pairings. It's always funny how the armies that would do worse against each other are always paired up. So strange how that happens. And then painting. I want to laugh. I feel if you won once with an army maybe next time you play you shouldn't be able to win again with it but yet again it's one of the players who always wins and we must keep our favorites happy. Now I'm not saying the painting wasn't good but it comes down to a tie and guess what 2 of the normal winners get picked. I would also like to know who the judge is.
So doubles are coming up..here's my picks for the winners..top tables will be Alex and Todd or Sam and Bill. And if that doesn't happen most likely one of them will win painting or players choice if that comes back. Or Jarred from dark star with some partner that only wins with pairs. I'm going to guess Eldar will be the main army played maybe with a few nights depending if they allow it for they are lords of war now. Let's see how close I am on predicting the outcome of next months doubles. :o  And on a last note maybe changing how you actually score points so it equals out to how you actually play. But that makes to much sense.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 02:39:44 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I appreciate it.  :)

Facts:

It was another typical 40k event, you're right.

We haven't had a 40k event of any kind since January, when the event was held on the same day as a snow storm.

The game of 40k has seen a lot of new things since that time.

Alex and Todd have won a lot of BG events.

Bill has won a lot too, although not for a while.

Alex, Todd, and Bill win lots of events. 

Alex, Todd, and Bill are extremely good players.

The way round 1 gets paired is as follows, it's quite technical:
- I take a deck of playing cards and pull out pairs of cards equal to the number of tables I have.
- If I have more than 13 tables I'll pull out more than 1 pair of a given number (all 4 aces, or whatever)
- I shuffle them up for a few minutes.
- I draw a card
- I mark down the corresponding number next to the name of the first person who registered for the event.
- I do this until I have no cards left.
- I sort the excel sheet by table number.
- If one table has two players that know each other well, or play in the same group, I swap the first name at that table with the first name at another table that is not also a friend or club member with the second name.

Outside of friends playing friends or club members playing club members, I couldn't care less who plays who in round 1.

Pairings in subsequent rounds are based entirely on a player's score in the rounds previous.

I do the pairings for round 1 (which has been covered).

I have no idea what army any given player is playing unless they tell me in person, which I quickly forget, here's why:
- Players email me their army lists.
- I sort them into a "label" in gmail called "40k lists."
- It's fairly common that I don't open the email at all.
- The Wednesday before the event I forward all of the "list emails" to Sam.
- Sam checks all of the lists.
- Sam emails me back if there's a problem with a list.
- I email the person and explain the problem or forward what Sam had to say.
- Usually the person makes corrections.
- I send them to Sam.

Some players send multiple lists.

I couldn't tell you what armies match up well against one another.

I have never played a game of 40k in my life.

I have purposely paired one particular player against another in round one several times.  It had nothing to do with the armies the people play.  It had everything to do with the people playing that game.  That person no longer plays at our locations and will not play at our locations again in the future.

We have no rules in place that prevent someone from winning multiple appearance awards with their army.

People are entitled to their opinions on how we do things.

Chris Scotti has won painting awards in the past.

We use a GW rubric to score appearance.  If you'd like to see it, email me.

Our paint judge for this event was Brian Frost.

Brian is an exceptional painter / artist.

Our other paint judge is Erich Ridlon.

Erich is a freelance artist who spent years painting prototype models for Hasbro at their HQ in RI.

Doubles are coming on June 27th.

I am in the process of adapting the KILLAdelphia GT scenarios such that they fit into a Doubles format.

I am not 100% sure the end result will use the KILLAdelphia stuff.

Alex and Todd pairing up would be a very difficult team to beat under normal circumstances.

Sam and Bill would be a very difficult team to beat under normal circumstances.

Choosing 4 of the (arguably) best, most accomplished, most experienced players in the region as your favorite to win a 3 round 2v2 event isn't exactly going out on a limb.

Some people are better at Doubles events than they are at Singles events.

Battleground is fortunate enough to attract quality players from out of state due to several reasons, one of which is the expected level of competition at the event.

I feel like this is a blessing and a curse (the downside being the complaints I feel obligated to respond to.  Nice troll job, btw).

Eldar are popular and powerful. 

Popular and powerful armies are usually seen more often than weak, unpopular armies.

We have and always will score points in the same (or very similar) manner as some of the largest or most competitive events in the world.

We slightly modify the scoring and scenarios if and only if it is required for a 3 round event.

I feel like the scenario packets result in giving us as close to the correct outcome of the event as can be expected in 3 rounds.

I would love suggestions from anyone, including new accounts using email addresses that mask who they are, for scenarios that properly designed, balanced, and implemented.

You're not obligated to play in any of our events.

Just email me next time.  It's easier.  Or post the complaint in our new Facebook group, which you can find here.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:47:56 AM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
Sounds like someone sucks at playing and sucks at losing so they turn to sucking at conspiracy theories to make themselves feel like they don't suck...

If you had any clue how foolish what you posted sounds I am sure you would recant all of it.

Alex Fennel is one of the better 40K players on the PLANET.  Todd not only wins and places at local events he also does this at GT's and does it with outside of the box plays.

Sam and Bill are also some of the better players in in the region and possibly the country.  Both have been in consideration for ETC spots and have both won multiple local events and placed highly in many GT's.

Do not insult the people who put in the effort to not suck.  Do not insult Chase and the BG team who run some of the BEST events in the region and for a long time have been the place to come play in a tournament if you want to mash with the best.

Chris puts tons of time and effort into his painting and deserves every award he gets.

Instead of focusing on accusations, complaints, and flat out bullshit conspiracies try to focus on getting better at the game or at painting.  Instead of calling into question the store and the players, question them about what you could do better and how to advance yourself at the hobby.

This isn't Little League or grade school so no not "every child gets a chance".  If you want to win do what the winners do and earn it.
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

DonRonaldo

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
Huh, someone that made an account just to complain, wondering if you have another account you usually use or have the guts to post your name...

I'd love to have a real talk with you and explain this civilly over a game or hanging out on a Thursday night, but doubt that will happen so....I'll feed the troll...

I never resubmit my army for painting unless I have added to it considerably.  I have purposefully bowed out of painting before and will again if I bring the same thing twice to play.  I converted over 3 new Thuderwolves over the past few months and a new Thunderwolf commander.  I cleaned up the paint job on 11 bikes I had previously submitted to make the army more uniform. I felt this was enough of a change and I was really excited to be painting and playing again...so thanks for trying to ruin that, you didn't, but thanks for trying.

There are certain keys to winning painting, much like there are to playing and if you'd like to not hide behind a fake name, I'm more than happy to talk painting and will to anyone that will listen...I'll be there tonight as usual having a good time.  Would love to see you there!

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2015, 11:48:10 AM »
I believe "BlackRoze" is Native American for "hides behind keyboard in mom's basement"

Two things are clear to me from your post..

1: you either know very little about battlegrounds,  40k, and tournaments in general or are just a massive tool.

2: playing a 40k game against you is probably about as much fun as a root canal without novocain.

I invite you to either identify yourself and apologize so we all can have a rational conversation about your tournament concerns or delete this one post coward account because if you continue this slander I have no doubts the admins will figure out your REAL account either by email or IP address and put an end to your baseless accusations.

commanderfrost

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • X-Wing Community Thread!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 12:01:17 PM »
And then painting. I want to laugh. I feel if you won once with an army maybe next time you play you shouldn't be able to win again with it but yet again it's one of the players who always wins and we must keep our favorites happy. Now I'm not saying the painting wasn't good but it comes down to a tie and guess what 2 of the normal winners get picked. I would also like to know who the judge is.

Hi there!

I am Brian, and I judged the painting at this event. I would be happy to go over your army with you and let you know some things that would help bring your armies score up to the level of the folks that did win. 

As with most events at BG, the painting scores are incredibly tight. I am sure that you brought a great looking army, but perhaps your army doesn't play to the painting rubric as well as another players? That's something I would be happy to help any player with.

I hope you have an awesome day.

Thanks,
Brian

Be the positive change you want to see.

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
...I have no doubts the admins will figure out your REAL account either by email or IP address and put an end to your baseless accusations.

Just figured it out. Pretty easily, in fact. But Chase already responded as needed, so I'm going to let the matter rest.

-Sam

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
rekt
beep bop boop

Mike D

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 08:59:41 PM »
Wow, someone's butt is hurt, Next time ask your opponents to lube you up first 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
>:( This was just another Typical Battle Ground Warhammer Tournament. The same people end up some how winning the top prizes. And random pairings. It's always funny how the armies that would do worse against each other are always paired up. So strange how that happens. And then painting. I want to laugh. I feel if you won once with an army maybe next time you play you shouldn't be able to win again with it but yet again it's one of the players who always wins and we must keep our favorites happy. Now I'm not saying the painting wasn't good but it comes down to a tie and guess what 2 of the normal winners get picked. I would also like to know who the judge is.
So doubles are coming up..here's my picks for the winners..top tables will be Alex and Todd or Sam and Bill. And if that doesn't happen most likely one of them will win painting or players choice if that comes back. Or Jarred from dark star with some partner that only wins with pairs. I'm going to guess Eldar will be the main army played maybe with a few nights depending if they allow it for they are lords of war now. Let's see how close I am on predicting the outcome of next months doubles. :o  And on a last note maybe changing how you actually score points so it equals out to how you actually play. But that makes to much sense.

I actually just heard that somebody thought this was me. It isn't (I wasn't there, and if I was, everybody knows I'm not shy about using my own accounts to voice my opinion).

However, the fact I don't go to these events and see these same things are happening that pretty much always have been the default outcomes, I can see why this poster is frustrated. But that is hardly the store's fault, really. It's more the way 40k events are typically run is archaic, and the design basicallly cuts out the bottom 80-90% of players from contention almost from the start. Side effects of the traditional approach, and having extraordinarily good players and armies to contend with exacerbates the issue.

The other half of that issue is that there is a network of guys at this level or who want to be at this level and if you are someone who just plays this game without the severity of aspiring to national championship level you are generally not included in the approach, execution, or winner's circles of a given event in this environment. Leveling a critique like this (especially in the tone of that post) just gets you a lot of "bro do you even 40k" type shit in response. So whoever he is, he just learned something I did a long time ago -- talking about event reformation here is barking up the wrong tree.
"Really, the entire game is 'Opponent's Permission' if you think about it..."