Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 4172 times)

Veji

Newbie Question
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »
Hello!

I am currently putting together an X-Wing miniatures collection, and i need a bit of assistance.  I am looking to put together an collection with the following criteria:

1.  I have unlimited funds to buy whatever, and however much that i need (money is no obstacle)[/li][/list]
2.  I plan to play the game with a group of friends, where i supply all of the minis needed (lets say 3 friends and myself)
3.  I like choices...LOTS of choices
4.  I want a functional collection of all three factions
5.  I don't know if i'll ever do serious competition, but for the sake of argument, lets say "yes"
6.  I want to be able to play every popular loadout possible

I know i am going to buy one of everything, but how many of everything do i buy?

Also, i am familiar with what Battlefoam is and have reviewed the site.  Is there anything better for storage?

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »
This is by far the most popular storage solution...at least for the folks at Battleground. I keep my collection in this and it all (currently) fits...I have multiples of each wave thought I do not carry the epic ships with me.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-1374-Rack-System-Tackle/dp/B000E3FKTO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431432975&sr=8-3&keywords=plano+3700

As for what to get...

2 Starters Sets is always a good start. Gives you plenty of Dice and templates, an will you net you 2 X-Wings and 4 TIE Fighters.

Then just go down each wave and grab one of each (or more) depending on how many points you are looking to play. 100 is the norm (more for larger games) and some people buy enough of each ship that they could play with just that ship in 100 points (perhaps a 4 x-Wing list or a 7 TIE swarm list).

Remember that you get an X-Wing with the Rebel Transport and you'll get a TIE advanced with the Raider (when it is finally released).

Everything else is up to you...I thought I would want to get multiples of certain ships but have not really needed to. 1 Falcon, 1 E-Wing, 1 Lambda, 1 YT-2400, 1 Decimatoe, 1 Defender... those have been all I needed for those ships. A lot of ships I have not even flown yet...TIE bombers and advanced, A-Wings, HWK-290, Starviper...

A word about upgrade cards. If you want at least one of every upgrade card you will certainly want at least one of every ship. Some cards only come with one ship. For instance, currently only the Falcon comes with Engine Upgrade (x2)...a very useful card in some builds.

Come by the store..Thursdays in Plainville, Tuesdays in Abington...grab a demo game and ask questions. X-Wing players loves talking about X-Wing.

Veji

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 01:26:16 PM »
The only issue i have the plano tackle boxes, is that they typically allow a mini to move around, which can damage both the paint job and break any super glued joints.  I know you can buy thin sheet foam, but still kind of a hassle.

I come from a WH40k background, that i quit quite a while ago, so i did that and then ended up buying  one of the GW cases.  I may just end up re-using it.  Either that, or invest in Battlefoam, which i'd rather not do.

I already plan to purchase 2 (if not 3) Falcons and 2-3 Slave 1s.  I really want to create a pool of minis that i can play any configuration with in a 100 or 200pt game. Thus why i asked.  A definitive list from an experienced player who may have a "wish list", is more what i was kinda looking for, but all advice is appreciated.

I've been to the Plainville store and it was nice.  I'll be along one of these Thursday nights to watch and gawk. 

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
Honestly I don't really have an issue with the models moving around a bit. Hopefully I will have my plano when you stop in to BG Plainville, I can show you how I have it set up. Most nights, however, I just bring a single plano tray filled with my list, templates, cards, tokens and dice.

Veji

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:00:47 PM »
https://youtu.be/en_duhLJDwA

^This is what you guys are using.  I have one of these from about 12 years ago, and i recently re-found it my archives.  I think between that and my GW case, i'm all set for storage. :)

Now its just creating a collection strategy.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 02:59:04 AM »
I highly recommend stopping by the Plainville location on A Thursday night.  Plenty of people there that don't always frequent the message boards would love to tell you about all of the popular lists and strategies.

Brian Frost has put together a bunch of really cool reports that detail what ships are popular and what aren't.

I think he links to a site where you can see all of the lists from our Store Championship this past March too.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
^This is what you guys are using.

That is what a lot of us use...though seems like each person has there's set up differently for their own needs.

Collection strategy...one of everything and then multiples of everything.  :D

Veji

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »
I won't be up there tonight, but i will next week, when i have "something" to game with.  I think the best strat is to focus on a faction, collect that faction, and then begin a new faction.

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 09:35:49 AM »
A sound strategy.

You will find yourself quickly getting another faction as each ship, regardless of faction, comes with upgrade cards that can be used by any faction (on some that can only be used by one faction).

Next Thursday is a tournament so there will be lots of players and games to check. Despite it being labeled a tournament is fairly casual and certainly a lot of fun.

commanderfrost

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • X-Wing Community Thread!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »
Hello there, and welcome to the group!

If you would like to see a collection of popular lists from the global meta, you can check out X-Wing Juggler here:
http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/tourneys

That site houses tournament reports and lists for all of the players involved (if the TO submits the lists!) That should give you a generous grouping of lists to pick from for your playgroup.

For collection advice, I would normally suggest that a new player pick up two copies of the Core Set, and build out from there. That gives you two X-Wings, and four Tie Fighters, and lots of room to grow from there.

Be the positive change you want to see.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 01:07:43 AM »
Actually fairly surprised at the variety of top lists in some of these tournaments. You tend to see patterns but a lot of variety to them.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

commanderfrost

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • X-Wing Community Thread!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »
X-Wing is incredibly balanced. The "Top Lists" end up having a mild edge over lists that are not as popular in the meta, but no list is indestructable, and no list is clearly the very best. So while there is certainly some "Rock, Paper, Scissors" going on, Skill is a much higher determination of who will win a particular match.

Dice can certainly get "Hot" or "Cold", but you will statistically roll average over the course of a tournament.
Be the positive change you want to see.

Veji

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 10:42:30 PM »
I've acquired enough stuff to field a decent Rebel or Imperial 100pt force, now.  Just waiting on the tackle box to ship to my house, since i found i was missing trays out of the old Plano i used to use for my 40k stuffs.  I won't come up this week, but i will be around next week and looking to see if i can get a game or two in with someone patient enough to teach me how to play.  Youtube only carries one so far.

Oh, i had one other question:  Do you guys allow vaping in the store?  I know, no smoking and all that jazz, and i can certainly understand why, but vaping is kind of that grey area now a days.  I'm cool with or without, either way.  I can always step outside between matches, but figured i'd ask.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:47:01 PM by Veji »