Author Topic: The Dragonfather's servents - Building Cryx  (Read 8675 times)

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Re: The Dragonfather's servents - Building Cryx
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »
This is driving me nuts! At least finish putting these dudes together so we can test out our 350 lists while we paint! GAWD.

What fun are firebombs when I can't kill your warcaster with them?
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 02:12:04 PM »
They will not be fully assembled until after some of the painting.

I know, I am an ass, your panties are in a twist, blah, blah, blah...
Don't you have a wedding to be planning or something?

--

on a more serious note, I won't have a chance to get much done until the last week of this month at the earliest.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Latest molding session
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 10:24:29 AM »
I got to work on my Cryx again on Sunday. Unfortunately I am working today so I don't get to continue  :(

I got the pinning done for Terminus'. Heck of a time but it should make the joints MUCH stronger and I don't want those wings coming off.

The Seether is just about ready for basing and painting. I just have to decide on the arm positions.

I worked some on the Bane Knights. I FUCKING HATE BANE KNGITS!!!!!
Actually they rock but they are a PITA to put together. They are coming along though. Unfortunately I ran the drill battery out so that put an early end to the nights work.

On the basing front I am doing one more test before deciding what basing compound to use. The choice is between some small scale model train gavel and Vallejo lava compound. The Vallejo is a bit harder to use but the finer texture is a plus IMO. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to come out as even. I want to see what they look like on small size bases before deciding.

No further pictures for now but I will have more once I get to doing the rods for the halberds.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Lessons learned
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 10:27:11 AM »
So lessons learned about my 350 list so far.

1. Bane Knights are fucking terrible to put together, but look sweet as they near completion (pictures coming I swear).

2. Terminus is a PITA to put together too.

3. Bane Knights HATE invulnerable models.

4. Ban Knights need help getting to their target. Speed 5 is a bit slower than they 'want' to move, and Terminus can give them tough but only if they are close by, and he can't give them stealth.

5. Terminus wants a bonejack to run around as an arcnode. This might change my plans for 500pts because I was planning on just taking deathjack.

6. Terminus is tough but once his focus comes down bad shit happens.

7. Tattered wings are the best thing ever.

8. The Seethers extra focus point rocks!

9. The Seether hits like a freight train (MAT 7 Fucking rocks), but does not have reach so throwing is a serious possibility against annoying 'knock back' jacks (fuckers).

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Bane Knight Pics!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »
Finally some pictures of the Bane Knights.

Baggies of Bane Knights awaiting assembly:

The contents of each bag:

Each model had to have both shoulders and the neck pinned. This means drilling out the torso in three places and then drilling each of the arms and the head. After dry fitting I glued the pins into the arms and heads first before gluing them to the torso. The right arm of each model had to have the halberd built before I glued them on.

You  can see the size of the pin in this photo:

Probably the most interesting part of the Bane Knights is how the halberds were assembled.
The original very bendy halberds were cut into three peices, the right arm (seen above) the main blade, and the smaller tail blade.
These were then drilled out with a fine drill bit (#72) so a steel wire could be used to hold the halberd strait. Small brass tubing was cut out to go over the steel wire to get the handle back up to it's original size. The arm had to be through drilled.
These pictures use one of the #72 drill bit to show how the assembly will work.

Arm and upper handle:

Upper blade attached:

Ready for gluing

That's all for now. Time for some paint to get put on. Then the shoulder pads and shields can be installed and it will be play time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:58:13 PM by Matt Thomas »

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »
They look awesome! You're going to have to walk me through the halberd stuff for my Iron Fang Pikemen.
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Rod for Iron Fang Pikeman
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »
Sure. I have plenty of tubeing and rod left.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
On the Re line thinkig about WARMACHINE
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
It turns out I have been playing short one Bane Knight. That should only make a minor diffrence though.
I have been thinking a bit about my 500 point list. I was going to just take Deathjack but I am realizing that Terminus needs to be able to project his power further.
For the cost of 3 Bane Knights I could squeeze a Deathripper onto the list but I would not have room for the deathjack so I am looking at other alteranatives. Pistol wraiths (even one) is an option as they can act indipendantly without much support. I feel like an arcnode is a good idea but making room for it is difficult as I think Terminus wants another heavy jack. Soul hunters also come to mind as they are fast and don't need much support.

Anyway the priority ispainting for now.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 08:50:02 AM »
Yesterday's progress:

Bane Knights Primed
Terminus Based
Terminus' Wing Spikes Attached
Terminus' Wings Attached
Seether Based

Only destroyed 16 shields and 32 shoulder pads in the process  :(

Using poster putty to keep the primer off the connection points worked perfectly though. I will have pics later/eventually.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
GAHHHhhhh!!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »
I think I severely screwed up all the shields for my Bane Knights.
After much deliberation I decided to try the green highlighted color scheme seen on the Laviathan here:
http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/thumbs/lrg-43-34026_leviathan_box_set.jpg

So then I thought hey... why not match the Bane Knight armor to the jack armor...
It turns out I am not too good at thinking.
So far it looks like shit (IMO) compared to the stock metallics. Fortunately I started on the shields not the assembled models. Unfortunately... I now need new shields because I put on a nice clean three layer base coat and any thick metallic paint would probably loose all detail completely.

So I have new shields on the way from Privateer Press and I will finish these up in the mean time to see how they look finished but I don't hold out much hope.

It definitely calls the green color scheme into question as  I do NOT want to make this mistake with Terminus or a 'jack.

GAHHHHhhhh... running out of time.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Color Scheme
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 11:24:44 AM »
Looks like the green color scheme will work fine. Unfortunately it is extremely time intensive to paint. Lots of layered highlights and such.

It is clear at this point that I will not make the deadline. I am trying to catch up though, and I will likely chose my 500 point list around a minimum number of easy to paint models.

Easy to paint possibilities include:
Slayer + Bonejack
Slayer + Pistol Wraith
Deathjack

Wednesday is play day, other than that it looks like painting every knight till I get these guys done. Unfortunately, Sunday is out because I am running a game.

I will post more pics as soon as possible.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 09:11:03 PM »
FAIL.
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Re: FAIL
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 07:45:52 PM »
Fuck.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 11:16:34 PM »
I got about two hours of work done tonight. Nothing major just working on bane knight shields. Fucking metalics got all over the place. Looks like it is going to be very tough with my shaky hands to get them to look nice.

I did get to try out the Privateer Press wet pallet. Fucking kickass. I didn't have to replace my paint at all and the full two hours was all one color.
Very very nice IMO.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 11:22:27 PM »
You curse a lot these days. You should have done pirates.

My advice is metallics first. That stops most of the problems.
beep bop boop