Author Topic: Opinions new Tyranid 'dex  (Read 14898 times)

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
Opinions new Tyranid 'dex
« on: January 16, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
I've only played one game so far with the new tyranid codex, but one thing has already started to creep into my mind and I was wondering what other tyranid players think.

With the Tervigon now in the codex is the hormagaunt (HG) obsolete?

The Initiative 5 is nice and the scything talons is ok. But for the same points or slightly less a unit of termagaunts (TG) or there varients within range of a tervigon, blows the HG out of the water. HG's have one less attack and initiave but when within range of a tervigon you get Furious Charge/Posion 4+/ and counter attack. I also gave my Tervigon Catalyst which seems essential. The one major drawback is dependance on the Tervigon. I can foresee at least taking 2 Tervigons which will increase there suvivabilty.

Even in hth, HG charge they would get +1 attack over the TG. Which is not big when you consider the TG would get a poison attack. Getting charged the HG are better off with counter attack from the Tervigon they would have the same attack's and poision.

It's strange the role of TG and HG almost seems reversed. I use to use TG as screens for the HG because the were cheaper. Now it almost seems reversed.

Is the HG going extinct?

(meaning I convert 30 of my HG over to TG!)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:31:12 AM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: Opinion of fellow Tyranid Players
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »
Are nids no longer immune to instant death??

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:22:18 PM »
Termagaunts seem strictly superior.
beep bop boop

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:31:58 PM »
I was looking at the tyranid codex again last night and found something interesting with the Mawloc (ml). With the borrow ability. I do not have the codex on me, but from what I remember, when the ml reappears it hits all units under its base with a str6 ap2 hit and then push’s the survivor’s off and they have to be at least 1inch away from the ml and anything that remains on the template is dead. So, if you were able to surround a dedicate transport with your model’s leaving enough room for a ml sized base to appear, and had the ml appear and not deviate, would the transport and all its occupants be dead?
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

General Leevous

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »
because noone in the transport can move away, yes
Run Run Run as Fast as You Can... You Cant Catch Me Im The GINGER!!!!

So sayeth the Ginger, FEAR the Ginger!

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:12:07 AM »
wouldnt you have to blow up the transport though?
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:44:03 AM »
Technically no,

because the wording of the Mawloc rule reads any model's left on the template are destroyed, the caveate of not being within 1 inch of an enemy model apply's so if there is no where to put your model its destroyed.
Even if the transport counted as destroyed you then have to deploy the model's and if there is no where to put them they are dead.

That said it is very hard to do. Your vehicle would have to immobilised or stunned from a previous turn and you would have to have enough model's in position from the previous round.

I can see some abuse with the ML in other ways as well, like charging 20 or gaunts into a squad of terminators or marines losing hth have everyone consolidate in real tight and then have the maloc pop through and kill everyone
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:09:27 AM by jhobin »

General Leevous

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
Re: Opinions new Tyranid 'dex
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 01:42:58 PM »
And god forbid you have a lictor there to make him not scatter :P

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 01:58:25 PM »
I was thinking the same thing,

Taking a Tyrant with +1 reserve roll then taking a lictor adding another +1, taking 2 mawlocs and a trygon prime.

You start mawlocs on the board round 1 they borrow,

Round 2 lictor's and prime come on a 2+, putting lictor in enemy deployment zone. Prime appears without scatter, then 2 mawlocs come in on his left and right. 3x str6/tough6/3+save 18 wounds in your opponents zone.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:40:15 AM »
Sounds fun. 
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

General Leevous

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
i thought the lictor ability had the stipulation that he cant use the no scatter rule if he deepstruck in the same turn.... thats what any other icon-esque ability says at least, i havent looked in that book alot...

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 01:00:40 PM »
From what I remeber it doesn't actually have that stipulation on his rules. I'm gonna look later on tonight.

I'm really suprised that some of the Mawloc rules slipped through the play testing cracks, if the tyranids immobilise a vehicle now its gone if a mawloc hits it.

It'd be funny in a gladiator style tourney to immobilise a titan and then have a ML give it the old heave-ho

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »
I checked this weekend the Lictor does have to be on the board to use his benefit.

Also, with the ML immobilised vehicles are only destroyed if there is no where for it to go i.e. enemy model within 1inch. They do get hit in the rear with the template though.

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
First Thoughts
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 02:47:34 PM »
In between being horrifically sick over the last five days or so I had a chance to skim the new codex along side the old one.

I have to say that overall it seems to me that all of the existing models / units have either remained largely at the same power level or gotten slightly (or even significantly) worse.
The real power is in all the new models (and their effect on the older ones).

They also seem to be pushing named characters which in my never to be humble opinion is pretty lame fluff wise. Yeah I know they excuse them as 'legends of a similar beast' and such but I think it's silly. They are however fairly powerful.

One of the strangest things I saw was Gargoyles not only loosing fleet but also getting a leadership of 6 (down from 10) making them useless outside synapse range. Sometimes I wonder if GW even reads their own rules much less play tests them.

Several of the new creatures are blatantly powerful and unfortunately it looks to me like the taranofex (The thing that craps termigaunts - no codex for spelling right now) is going to be a virtual auto-include on every list. Which IMO is unfortunate because I don't particularly like automatic choices.

Also of note was the fact that Zoenthropes no longer act independently. One more reason IMO that you will see those taranofexes (or whatever they are called) wandering around so much seeing as they are an amazing synapse creature.

Personally I am very disappointed about the Gargoyles and the utter decimation of Hormagaunts. I really liked those models and their fluff.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 03:03:37 PM »
I agree with what your saying Matt. The gargoyle's I think are still funtional but they can't fill the role that they use to. I was talking with some friends who play 'Nids last weekend, one of the big things we noticed is how gargoyle's are now an assault troop vs shock and awe. It seems like they have 2 use's now 1.) maxed out squad used to give cover save to Warrior's (strangly enough they are bug enough now. 2.) assault you need to buy poison sacs for them. They have a big negative now of drop in Ld and there is not much that can give them a cover save is a big hinderance for both use's.

So far they seem to have run into the "I heard that unit was nasty kill it" syndrome.

the big guy is called a Tervigon, and your right its almost a necessity for any gaunt based army now.

I havn't played with Zoenthropes in the new dex and never really did in the last. Most people seem to have been playing them with 2x in a spore pod.