Author Topic: Plainville's Official "Unofficial" Tuesday 40k  (Read 301877 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Plainville's Official "Unofficial" Thursday 40k
« Reply #1470 on: July 14, 2012, 05:59:04 AM »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #1471 on: July 14, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
I am not sure who that person is but it seems like they are waaaaay off base with what they are talking about. That daemon prince build is far from the best to use just to name one. What does he plan to accomplish with the vector strike at str 5? Also the bloodthirster is the 2nd best thing in that book now, second only to nurglings.....I dunno, has a few good points but in my OPINION he doesn't see the big picture.

I feel like overall Daemons got way better in 6th when paired with CSM but our already terrible troops got way worse between overwatch and not being able to go to ground and reduced cover. The flying necron list is the achilles heel. IMO that list is currently going to destroy everything that isn't IG if played correctly. It is unmatchable firepower that cannot be defended against and no downside to their units for the craft being shot down. More units will get skyfire and eventually be fine but while that list is out there Daemons just cannot match up against it. I am planning on bringing IG to NOVA because of that one list.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #1472 on: July 14, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »
You couldn't vector strike his nightscythes? 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #1473 on: July 14, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »
http://daemons40k.blogspot.com/

Thoughts?
Totally agree with Bill. Maybe a couple good points, but just painful to read at times. I can disagree with people, but this author often disagrees with himself. I'll probably start a Daemon-specific thread just to break it down, unit by unit...

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #1474 on: July 14, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
You couldn't vector strike his nightscythes?

I could and I did. Then got removed from doom scythes and 4 tesla destructors.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #1475 on: July 14, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »
How many flyers did he bring total?!?  I just thought it was the 3 nightscythes?

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #1476 on: July 14, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
Three night and three doom

Wes

• Heroic Tier Level 5
    • Email
« Reply #1477 on: July 15, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »
Alright, the age of WesCron's banana-Crons has officially come to an end. Thursday 40k gave me some great nights. Now (thanks to our pal Gw) I am taking up warmachine.

I leave you with nonessential song with banana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCkerYMffMo

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #1478 on: July 15, 2012, 01:52:20 AM »
This Thursday I am pleased to announce another giveaway. This one comes from BG directly, a brand new Space Marine codex. The cover is less than pristine, so it's not good to sell. But it's sure good for us! Practice rolling your d20s, because it's another random giveaway.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #1479 on: July 15, 2012, 05:05:57 AM »
The daemons link I posted was taken off of the 11th company FB page.  I forget who they said wrote it.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #1480 on: July 15, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »
The daemons link I posted was taken off of the 11th company FB page.  I forget who they said wrote it.
The page itself is still up, but holy cow.

In the most recent article about the Flying Circus build, the author recommends people play squads of 5 Daemonettes, and this as part of a list to counter with lots of anti-infantry firepower.

I am officially no longer listening.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:25:30 PM by Benjamin »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #1481 on: July 15, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
DA I can see a little, but I had high hopes for Demons this edition.  What was the problem, generally?  (besides playing Ben Mohlie)
For me, in a word, Overwatch. Most Daemons infantry are T4 with a 5+ invulnerable save. Every wound is about 15-20 points worth, given different models. I charge into Assault, like I'm supposed to, and I get penalized.

IMO, A unit should have to choose between shooting normally or shooting Overwatch (with some bonuses) during the next player turn. A sort of "don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" sort of thing.

So one workaround I discovered is that I need to hit one squad with multiple attackers, since Overwatch can only be triggered once. But that also increases the likelihood that I win the assault on my turn, which is really bad for T4/5++ models.

Overall, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. But what else could I expect from Daemons? They just didn't pass the smell test.

Swooping, didn't see what the big whoop was.

Smash attacks were okay, but halving the number of attacks to do so is really brutal.

Losing 4+ cover is fairly devastating. I can compensate by buying more models in each infantry squad... which I am not really going to do.

Played Tyranids last night.  I even had the divination power that let's overwatch at full BS.  But yeah, he did a great job nerfing that with little bits of termagaunts and the like.  he'd charge in first with the termagaunts, and yeah, I could  maybe even wipe them out, but then the genestealers went munch. 

That's just......wow.  So, like, how do you fight that?  Can anyone fight it, besides other necrons and IG players?

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #1482 on: July 15, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »
Tau can take down flyers kind of just like Necron Warriors. Lots of fire and let propability and luck be on your side. Other Flyers can do a decent job but even then the problem lies that Doom Scythes are better at taking down flyers than any other flyers especially with death ray. The only way its going to balance out is when you take away Death Ray from hitting flyers cause then other Flyers have a chance against them.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #1483 on: July 15, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
DA I can see a little, but I had high hopes for Demons this edition.  What was the problem, generally?  (besides playing Ben Mohlie)
For me, in a word, Overwatch. Most Daemons infantry are T4 with a 5+ invulnerable save. Every wound is about 15-20 points worth, given different models. I charge into Assault, like I'm supposed to, and I get penalized.

IMO, A unit should have to choose between shooting normally or shooting Overwatch (with some bonuses) during the next player turn. A sort of "don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" sort of thing.

So one workaround I discovered is that I need to hit one squad with multiple attackers, since Overwatch can only be triggered once. But that also increases the likelihood that I win the assault on my turn, which is really bad for T4/5++ models.

Overall, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. But what else could I expect from Daemons? They just didn't pass the smell test.

Swooping, didn't see what the big whoop was.

Smash attacks were okay, but halving the number of attacks to do so is really brutal.

Losing 4+ cover is fairly devastating. I can compensate by buying more models in each infantry squad... which I am not really going to do.

Played Tyranids last night.  I even had the divination power that let's overwatch at full BS.  But yeah, he did a great job nerfing that with little bits of termagaunts and the like.  he'd charge in first with the termagaunts, and yeah, I could  maybe even wipe them out, but then the genestealers went munch. 

That's just......wow.  So, like, how do you fight that?  Can anyone fight it, besides other necrons and IG players?

Other than getting lucky, nothing is efficient at battling it other than IG and necrons. We played another game and I used IG which I won with.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #1484 on: July 15, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »
What about IG makes the match up good? Hydras and maybe Vendettas seem like they're the only solid counter. I played Rick the other day and most of my army felt useless aside from my flyer.
beep bop boop