Author Topic: Fantasy or 40K???  (Read 11837 times)

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Re: Fantasy or 40K???
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
If you are broke, none of these games are for you.

Additionally, neither of these games are anywhere near as strategic as many of the players present it. Fantasy used to be the haven of tactical GW stuffs, but the current edition's randomness and utterly broken magic phase have made it more degenrate than 40k has ever been.
beep bop boop

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • "We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »
I am not completely broke I can probably get a small army going. But whats like a point army thats most played? Does anyone ever play less than 1k?
"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 03:12:15 PM »
The only time I see less than 1k on the table is for Plainvilles Kill Team events.
beep bop boop

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
  • Silence is golden but duck tape is silver.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 04:03:29 PM »
Throwing my 2 cents in.

Goss, you need to take a chill pill, you're worse than a girl on her period, just relax. xD

Newbie whom I don't know. I play 40k, got into it recently, I am broke but have managed to get a little over 2000 points and love the game, I play spacewolves (sub chapter of the space marines). It's really easy to pick up and the fact that the community is both amazing and so willing to help you out is a great reason to pick up 40k.

Fantasy is cool, I don't play myself, but I know people who do, it's not played nearly as often, harder to understand from what I've seen, less of an active community and things of that nature. Some players will play less than 1k point games for 40k, just depends on who you go to. I would personally play a game of any amount of points because I just enjoy playing the game and figuring out what my army can do at each point value, so if you do pick it up I'll be more than willing to play you.

If you decide on 40k (which I personally recommend) then space marines is an awesome choice. Not only are they easy to learn, they are pretty cheap (cheapest of all armies I think) and are great all around when it comes to stats and stuff.

Either way the choice is yours, you have some pretty informed people telling you their opinions right now, do with it what you will. Good luck and have fun with what you do decide to choose.

Oh and Ian is 100% correct, if you don't have at least 200 dollars to spend on this at the beginning you shouldn't really start right now. It's 27 ish for the codex, 8 for glue to put it together, extra money on top of that if you start painting right away, then the money you need for at least 1 HQ and 2 troop choices (the minimum to play a game against someone, there are few exceptions).

-Alley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:08:01 PM by Alley Livingston »
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?
Yes Alley, you're winning.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 04:14:35 PM »
Hi NGaz,

I don't come to MA as often as I used to, but when I do, I'm always up for a game of Fantasy.  Being a relatively new person to the game myself, I'm always up for a game in Abington, since it's the closest store to where I stay when I'm in town.

Tentatively, I'm planning on being in town on the weekend of the 19th.  However, the only reason why it's tentative is because my job may have me doing overtime that weekend in my MA location.  So, if I manage to get any free time, and if you're around for a game of Fantasy, I'd be more than happy to take you up on one.

Otherwise, I also play 40K.  It's harder to find a game of Fantasy, so if your preference is Fantasy over 40K, I'd be more than willing for a game.

See you around!
~Ben
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • "We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 04:28:31 PM »
Throwing my 2 cents in.

Goss, you need to take a chill pill, you're worse than a girl on her period, just relax. xD

Newbie whom I don't know. I play 40k, got into it recently, I am broke but have managed to get a little over 2000 points and love the game, I play spacewolves (sub chapter of the space marines). It's really easy to pick up and the fact that the community is both amazing and so willing to help you out is a great reason to pick up 40k.

Fantasy is cool, I don't play myself, but I know people who do, it's not played nearly as often, harder to understand from what I've seen, less of an active community and things of that nature. Some players will play less than 1k point games for 40k, just depends on who you go to. I would personally play a game of any amount of points because I just enjoy playing the game and figuring out what my army can do at each point value, so if you do pick it up I'll be more than willing to play you.

If you decide on 40k (which I personally recommend) then space marines is an awesome choice. Not only are they easy to learn, they are pretty cheap (cheapest of all armies I think) and are great all around when it comes to stats and stuff.

Either way the choice is yours, you have some pretty informed people telling you their opinions right now, do with it what you will. Good luck and have fun with what you do decide to choose.

Oh and Ian is 100% correct, if you don't have at least 200 dollars to spend on this at the beginning you shouldn't really start right now. It's 27 ish for the codex, 8 for glue to put it together, extra money on top of that if you start painting right away, then the money you need for at least 1 HQ and 2 troop choices (the minimum to play a game against someone, there are few exceptions).

-Alley

Thanx man, I have the codex, glue, and a s*** ton of paint and brushes. All i need is the army. Im probably gunna pick up the Space Marine Battleforce and just build off of that.
"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
Good choice. If you can you should also get another thing of basic troops (don't know what they're called, I play spacewolves where our basic troop choices are grey hunters and bloodclaws) so you can have 2 units of troops and then use one of your other guys, such as a terminator or something, to represent an HQ. Read the codex, learn about your army and some rules, especially the force organization chart.

Best of luck with it, let me know when you're army is functional and I'll play you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:26:28 PM by Alley Livingston »
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »
Two further points.

1) I'm glad Ben posted here. His army is probably one of the best examples of how unbelievably un-fun fantasy is right now. His army fields a character whom, with regularity, can cause an entire unit 24" away to make strength tests or die. No armor saves, no invulnerable save. Nothing. When he does this, there is a good chance there is nothing you can do about it and his wizard character will only suffer negative consequences on a D6 roll of a 1. In addition, another wizard in his army can reduce that unit's strength by D3. Before you move a model, you could lose 5/6th of a 30 man unit, including your characters. Sure sounds fun, doesn't it? This is something many armies can do, though not quite as cheaply as his.

2) If you plan on using the store's forums for help, the store's tables for terrain, and the store's community for games, don't illegally download a book the store sells. Its insulting to Derek. Its insulting to his employees. Its insulting to all of us who have worked to build this community to what it is from day one.

Pay where you play. Its a shame how often I need to remind people this.
beep bop boop

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:58 PM »
I use the book for quick references but also own a hard copy. Eventually you have to buy the book anyway, but why not be able to glance at it and learn some of the basic rules to get started? I'm all for pay where you play, but it's just to get a taste for the game. Considering the book is what, 90 dollars, it's easier for someone who already made clear they have very little funds to just learn some of the rules from the online book than to not learn to play until they can pitch out another 90 dollars.
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »
If you can't afford the rulebook, you can't afford to play.
beep bop boop

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 05:19:57 PM »
agreed, having a pdf is handy because alot of army building stuff is done on the computer and its nice to not lug a heavy book around for that. that said, it is a grave sin to play in a store without supporting it monetarily, this isn't warhammerforhomelesschildren.org, the non-profit organization for all of your warhammer needs. and as for your first point Ian, i think thats a better gauge of Ben as a player rather than the game. he chooses the lore, buys the item to transfer miscasts, buys the ability to know all spells and throws 6 dice at getting the spell off.

@ Rurouni
i'd be interested in a game of fantasy as well, i miss battleground  :( the drive is a bit longer since i moved, so i don't come by anymore unless i'm guaranteed a game. PM me if you feel like playing

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
Yes you can. I learned to play without the rule book or my own army. The community taught me to play, let me test out their armies against them and things like that. Teenagers like myself, this new comer and others can't afford this stuff right off the bat, it's easier to just quickly learn the basics, and then from there let the community help you out and buy the book later. I'm not going to help fuel a silly argument. I'm all for pay where you play but there are exceptions. This would be one of them.

Obviously it's not warhammerrforhomelesschildren.org but for people interested in starting the game who can't buy it all at once who's to tell them they can't just get the pdf and reference it for now. They obviously will buy their army at Battleground and become more frequent once they get to know the community and get more money to build their army and spend on other things at the store. I've been at the store 9 years now and every game I started I did what I'm telling him to do and defending, and as soon as I got into the game I began spending tons of money on it everytime I got money. It's all about getting started. Don't come in and start bashing on him or me for using the pdf because of lacking monetarily. That's not right and discourages new players.
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
Seriously, remove that link now.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »
Bashing? Hahaha, oh kids. I was polite.
beep bop boop

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »
I removed the link but seriously, you guys need to relax and look at it from where people like him, myself, pepe and other people our age trying to get into games stand. We've all become loyal to the store and pay where we play, but in order to start a game you need a jumping off point.

My definition of "bashing" is putting someone done, regardless of how polite you were, which indeed, you were polite, but the point still stands that you're discouraging a new player by being completely adherent to some code you have.

Even Reinhart agres: http://wargamingforums.com/2011/03/08/pay-where-you-play/
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?