Author Topic: Fantasy or 40K???  (Read 11840 times)

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
  • "We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."
    • Email
Fantasy or 40K???
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:58:11 PM »
What do people play most at the abington store? Fantasy or 40k? and which do they have more tournaments for?
"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBryanCosplay
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
Re: Fantasy or 40K???
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »
40k for both...but all of the recent warhammer tournaments have been at plainville, there hasnt been a warhammer tournament in abington since before the plainville store opened

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
That sux cus I wanted to start playing Fantasy but abington is my home store.

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »
you might get a few games in playing fantasy, but i havent seen anyone play fantasy there in a game that i wasnt playing in for about a month

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
for fantasy, i've had better luck at plainville and the whiz but 40k is ten times more popular. sucks, i left 40k in 3rd edition with no intent to return. but those new dark eldar are threatening my resolve

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:42:13 PM »
Well i havent completely made up my mind yet.... If i go fantasy ima do Dwarfs but for 40k idk.

skavengear

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:35:30 AM »
This is not nearly the time to play fantasy, the only reason I have an army is I got a generous offer.  40k is about as popular as magic at the store, everyday there is someone up for a game and tournaments are huge (fantasy's record is 4 people). Also, every two months going to plainville is not bad since you surely realize it's only 10 min. Longer of a drive.

40k is a much more enjoyable game since rules are very accessable, where fantasy there's so many bizzare and context sensitive rules which almost make no sense. To put it blatantly, a dwarf with speed 3 can charge over water, through a castle and to the other end of the board on a charge. When this can happen you have to wonder why.

40k is pretty much pick a marine army, dark eldar, or (maybe) mech guard and win. Plus doubles tournaments are so much fun to play in. I also must admit I hate movement trays. Just the fact when a regiment of 40 guys tips over trying to move them blows, 40j you run forth and kill.

Captain Bryan!

• Paragon Tier Level 15
    • Captain Bryan Cosplay
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
But 40k requires no tactical thinking...fantasy requires some. And Dave a dwarf with speed 3 can charge 15...not the entire board

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:42:49 AM »
But 40k requires no tactical thinking...fantasy requires some. And Dave a dwarf with speed 3 can charge 15...not the entire board

And this is why I dont make up my mind based on one person

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
I dont know what to do....... I REALLY like the armys from Fantasy but I dont want to get into something that no one is going to play.

skavengear

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 09:25:57 AM »

sarcasm. A dwarf used to charge 6-9. And couldn't go through terrain unphased.

If you don't want to hear opinions from people who actually play both games then why do you bother to post something in the first place. Why would anyone bother to help someone who disregards everything they say? If you can't make up your mind, then buy yourself every army of both games fit about $8,436.98 and see which you like because obviously someone who plays knows far less about the game than you do.

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »

sarcasm. A dwarf used to charge 6-9. And couldn't go through terrain unphased.

If you don't want to hear opinions from people who actually play both games then why do you bother to post something in the first place. Why would anyone bother to help someone who disregards everything they say? If you can't make up your mind, then buy yourself every army of both games fit about $8,436.98 and see which you like because obviously someone who plays knows far less about the game than you do.

Dude, really? Is it that time of the month?.... I know u know a hell of alot more than me about any of these games. I just like to get multiple opinions. I'm not saying that yours are not wanted. And actually I am looking at getting space marines.

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:56:02 AM »
If you can bring your Space Marine Codex to class.

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:21:41 AM »
This is not nearly the time to play fantasy, the only reason I have an army is I got a generous offer.  40k is about as popular as magic at the store, everyday there is someone up for a game and tournaments are huge (fantasy's record is 4 people). Also, every two months going to plainville is not bad since you surely realize it's only 10 min. Longer of a drive.
this is basically the big advantage 40k has over fanatasy. it can be a little tricky to find fantasy games unless you know people, whereas 40k players have to be beaten off with a stick
40k is a much more enjoyable game since rules are very accessable, where fantasy there's so many bizzare and context sensitive rules which almost make no sense. To put it blatantly, a dwarf with speed 3 can charge over water, through a castle and to the other end of the board on a charge. When this can happen you have to wonder why.
agree here that the learning curve for fantasy is much higher, one of the reasons that i suspect 40k appeals to a much younger crowd (the other being space marines). and in a game with mutant, man-sized, coked-out rats using nuclear technology against a renaissance-era civilization that hasn't advanced technologically in thousands of years but can build a tank, how fast a dwarf moves is what you're concerned with?
40k is pretty much pick a marine army, dark eldar, or (maybe) mech guard and win. Plus doubles tournaments are so much fun to play in. I also must admit I hate movement trays. Just the fact when a regiment of 40 guys tips over trying to move them blows, 40j you run forth and kill.
to each their own, i personally don't care for space marines or doubles events. with the exception of magnetic move trays in fantasy, this post is pretty accurate- pick marines, run forth and kill. that sums up 40k for the last 3 editions (can't speak for 2nd, didn't play then).
this pretty much illustrates why i left 40k, alot of people have an attitude like this. seriously dude?
that and the endless moron-proof space marine armies spam coupled with the use of tactics beginning and ending in the "writing army list" phase pretty much killed 40k for me. sucks too cuz i think the fluff is great and some of the models are top-notch. in the end, my advice is start 40k if you want to play 100% of the time, play fantasy if you love the armies but are willing to play 30-40% of the time.

NGazerro

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
In all honesty the biggest thing for me choosing a game is cost. I am a broke mofo so I really need to listen to everyone and make a final decision based on money. I know thats kind of a crappy way to decide whether or not to play a game, but to me money is short.