Author Topic: Wrath impressions...  (Read 3914 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Wrath impressions...
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:40:12 PM »
So ignore my TERRIBLE spelling error and tell me what you think about Wrath.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Re: Wrath impressions...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:37:39 AM »
Its probably one of my favorite expansions. I'll break it down by faction.

KHADOR

I love Harkevich. His rules are pretty decent and he should be fun to play, but I love his story. He's one of the few moral Khadoran warcasters. I was kind of annoyed when I played him earlier today, but after reading the story about him in the book, I want to play him all the time. He values Khadoran citizens more than the Empire. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Black Ivan is going to be fantastic with Harkevich. At 10 points with RAT 5 and Def 12, he may actually replace Destroyers in a lot of lists.

Kayazy Eliminators are straight up the best unit in the entire book. They might be the most fearsome unit in the faction.

Mekanic UA is eh. Man O War are boring anyway.

CYGNAR

Constantine is cool. I like that Cygnar has a melee force warcaster. I'm sceptical about how great she'll be, but Crusader's Call with Stormnouns might be all it takes for success.

Gallant is awesome. He's a bargain.

Minuteman is the best light 'jack we've seen in a long time. It will be bonkers in Kraye.

The Avenger is neat. I'm not sure where it will fall in the next few months.

Runewood is a flat out jerk. He's an amazingly versatile solo that will be a pain to get rid of. I hate him already.

CRYX

Scaverous is the best (probably) caster in the book. His spell list is nuts. His feat is even crazier. 7 boosted Telekinesis castings on his feat turn. What. A. Jerk. He's like Rahn but with a better army and better feat.

Erebus is cool. Poltergeist is one of the most annoying abilities of all time. There's a lot of competition for melee 'jacks though, but he'll be a great soul farmer for Scavs.

I like the Despoiler. Accumulator (Bane) seems to fit right in with every Cryx list ever. Scather is a great ability.

Overseer seems decent, but I'm not sure how much of a need there is for him. Definitely good, just concerned about when he'll be needed.

Revenant Rifleman seems eh, but I don't really like the unit he's for.

RETRIBUITION

Ossayn is a mad man. His spell list and feat are amazing. He's probably about as good as Scavs, just lacks the really stupid army.

I like all of the 'jacks they got. I don't know a ton about the faction, but they all seem very decent.

MERCS

Steelhead warcaster = win before we even see rules. With rules, he's awesome. His spell list is so good!

All the 'jacks aren't that exciting. They just do different stuff than the current crop but nothing better. They're cool, but not game changing.

Ragman is eh. Only how awesome he looks saves him from being terrible.

Sylls Wyshnylyrr is completely insane. Cygnar has to weigh him with the Squire, but Khador loves this mother fucker. Zerkova, both Sorchas, and maybe even eIrusk would certainly like to take him often. Its a huge help to our focus management and, especially with Zerkova, threat range.
beep bop boop

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 01:47:14 AM »
Very cool.  Seems like each faction is getting something fun that will change the game up a bit.

I like that Khador is getting a ranged caster and Cygnar a melee caster, etc.

I'm interested to see how it effects the lists at some of the coming events / league.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:43:16 AM »
Mercenaries - I don't pay much attention but it looks all good.

Retribution - TONS of new stuff for them, which is worth the awful battle engine. Lots of new and interesting things which pp did not leak or spoil.

Menoth - my personal favorite battle engine due to the flufiness of it's abilities.  Thyra is really getting overlooked in my opinion.  Blood of martyrs is meh to me, just a heavy dervish, but not bad.

Khador - stays khadory.  Battle engine is pretty straight forward khador beatstick, no complaints. Grizzly ham boy seems cool and fun.  I think they got solid stuff, oh and then the kayazy which will be the new big priority target on the board with vlad.  Ivan, I would say makes since with harkevich, and as Ian said, can compete for Jack spots.

Cygnar - great engine, seems a little of the chain bro.  Blaise I like a lot, not the top 3, but she's worth owning.  To me gallant was a let down, I thought it would have more bang for the buck.  The minuteman is super good for a light Jack.

Cryx - ranting time.  Honestly, I'm going to say scaverous did not unrest our big 3 casters but is definitly in the running for the fourth best and probablly winning.  Erebus looks awesome and has great abilities, the downside is our casters all need and want their focus making it less brut unless you use eSkarre, and she turns a turd into a champion anyways.  The new spider Jack is cool stuff, since most cryx lists have a bane unit.  Wraith engine is mauler good, the haters out there can stfu, it carves swaths in infantry and still messes up casters and infantry. And last but most important....

IRON LICH OVERSEER!!!!! The Bruins can lose and I wouldn't care, that's how much I like this thing! It fits perfect in a few lists since it turns a seether into a monster.
Tiger's Den founding member

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:53:40 AM »
To me gallant was a let down, I thought it would have more bang for the buck.

That statement is stupid. The only complaint anyone could have is that its only at its best with Constantine. Even without her, Gallant coupled with Versh is amazing.

Honestly, I'm going to say scaverous did not unrest our big 3 casters but is definitly in the running for the fourth best and probablly winning.

Scaverous is amazing. He takes creative thinking to maximize his potential. I guess that's hard for a lot of local Cryx players to comprehend.

Erebus looks awesome and has great abilities

He's only really good if you're playing Scaverous. Soul gathering is his best ability.

The Ret engine is really solid. I was surprised to see you saying it was bad, but then you plan on buying 2 Wraith Engines. Your arguments are now invalid. Also, dismissing a heavy warjack with two PS 18 attacks and side step is folly.
beep bop boop

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:26:45 AM »
I think it's pretty cool so far.  I'm the type who barely cares about other factions because I'm too busy trying to remember what my own does.

Lots of interesting stuff on paper but I am looking forward to all of it.  Hell, maybe I'll even find a place for Triumph.  I can't say much until I use it and work through much of the synergies.

I will say that the Avenger and Minuteman can't come soon enough.

EDIT:

I do find The Iron Ham (wolf) (aka baby Kraye) to be an interesting guy.  Lots of potential to be seen once the community starts playing him more.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:58:11 AM by the_trooper »

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:45:07 AM »

+1 for what Ian said. -1 for most of what Goss wrote.

Cygnar:

I don't quite know what to make of Constance. Part of me wants to run her tier list for all the SPD buffs, but as a traditional Cygnar player I'd feel a bit naked rolling out without a good deal of firepower. Essentially running at the enemy isn't something she or her army seriously seem equipped to do. I'll test her in the next few weeks and see.

Gallant is awesome. For starters, a SPD 5 jack with reach is huge with certain casters. If you mix in the models he *should* be played with he gets even more bonkers. My plastic kit is anxiously awaiting the bits to convert it into Gallant.

Avenger is also awesome, especially if you're doing the ranged assassination thing. The Caines, Siege and Sloan love having clear LOS to enemy casters. He also gives the Master Gunner purpose finally (manually reloading Grenadiers = shit existence).

Minuteman is just silly with Kraye and any caster who can buff his movement. He'll be awesome for two hand throws and blowing up high DEF low ARM infantry. Full Tilt + Bounding Leap + Light Cav Move = 22" move in one turn. Mix in his Flak Field somewhere for good measure. :)

Runewood is great. He offers a lot of utility in-house and is no slouch in combat either.

The Storm Strider is one of the better battle engines. Not sure if/when I'll ever own a battle engine, but it'd be around the top of the list for me.

Khador:

Harkevich is awesome. You're really going to want a Demolisher or two with him I think. Really solid jack caster.

Black Ivan is sweet! I can't believe there's a base DEF 12 Khador jack out there now! I would almost want to throw Superiority up on him for DEF 14. :)

The Eliminators are just stupid. I never want to see 2 units of them and eVlad on the other side of the table.

The Mekanic UA is weird. I like the idea of fixing MoW, but something seems off about how it changes the unit's role to me.

Ret:

Ozzy is awesome! I agree with Ian, I think he's close to the same base power level of Scaverous, but the Ret army itself isn't really on par with Cryx. His feat is insane though. I can't wait to thoroughly blow things away while under it's effects. Also, Quicken on MHSF or Sentinels is just dirty.

Aspis is an awesome bodyguard light myrmidon for 4pts. Shield Guard will keep key models alive, and the Phoenix Field (auto replenish D6 points back to its Force Field) will keep it alive.

The heavies are all awesome. I've only glanced at them but Ozzy and Rahn seem like they've got great synergy with them. I'm sure the same will be true for the other castes.

I love the Arcane Force Generator. If people hate it I hope its out of fear because with the right casters (hello, Ravyn - Snipe + Boosted attack rolls + D3+1 initial shots) shit is going to die fast.

Cryx:

I just assume it's all just broken bullshit.  :P

Although the Wraith Engine seems kinda blah compared to most of the other battle engines. Moving on...

Menoth:

Thyra is really interesting. I really her a lot. I'll be interested to see her in play and what models/units people tend to throw Occultation on.

All three Menoth warjacks seem a bit meh. They're not bad, well Scourge of Heresy seems questionable, but none bring anything new IMHO.

Their named solo, Nicia or whatever her name is, is nuts! A DEF 16 solo with Stealth, Rapid Strike, Quick Work and Weapon Master? Geez!

I dont' get their battle engine. Yes it has more life boxes than the others, but it's taking d3 damage every time it does something. I guess you have to keep Vassal mechanics around at all times.

Mercs:

Damiano = win. His spell list is incredible.

The Rover is really cool as is the character jack. Like Ian said, they're solid and bring some new stuff to the table, but are far from over-the-top.

I'd second the Ragman being 'eh'. I don't get the love affair people on the PP boards have with him. Access to Dark Shroud is cool, but getting him there to pull it off seems way too difficult, or just a once per game kind of thing.

Sylls is just silly. He doesn't replace the Squire in Cygnar (although with certain casters the swapis worth considering). Ret loves him, which is fitting, and I think a lot of War Dogs are going to get put down because of him.

Overall a good release. Feels empty though without actual units being released. The Eliminators and Rifle Team are nice, but I mean 6-10 man units with UA or cav or something. Hopefully we'll get some next year.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »
Jon, you nailed exactly what's killing me right now with Harkevich. On top of that, there's no Black Ivan! He feels naked. I'm going to keep trying him, though. I plan on running this 50 pointer tonight:

Kommander Harkevich
*Beast 09
*Behemoth
*Destroyer
*War Dog
4 Battle Mechaniks
10 Nyss Hunters
Greylord Ternion
eEiryss
Koldun Lord

I'm pretty happy with the warjack package, but I'm not sure about the rest of it.
beep bop boop

Neldar

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
I wish I had the time and a place to play. The stuff in this book is awesome. The Iron Lich Overseer probably won't get much play below 50 points though. Not at 3 points anyway. At 2 he'd probably replace a lot of sirens and be broken.

The warcasters are awesome and I hope to get a wraith engine one of these days to build.

That Minuteman jack is spiffy.

After reading Thyra's stuff I almost want to play Menoth. Luckily I hate the rest of Menoth's fluff.

jonm

• Heroic Tier Level 8
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
I see what you mean, Ian. The warjack selection is pretty sweet, but the army seems a little dicey after that. Nothing you selected seems bad by any means, but it seems... disjointed?

When they come out I think Bombardiers would be sweet with Harkevich.

It's funny, I think both him and Constance are 50pt casters. I can't imagine running her at 35.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »
I find it very interesting, especially considering the type of player Warmachine tends to attract, that players can have wildly different opinions on the mechanics of a given model.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
I think it is bullshit that Thyra has silence of death as a spell.   Handing out grievous wounds to a unit is crap for hordes.

Where are my arcane assassins?

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 01:13:42 AM »
My Wrath impressions:

Fuck Cryx. I tried to play a 50 point game with the following list.

Harkevich
*Behemoth
*Beast 09
*Destroyer
10 Winterguard
*Officer and Standard Bearer
* 1 Rocketeer
4 Battle Mechanics
Kovnik Jozef
Greylord Ternions
Koldun Lord
eEiryss

Guess who I got to play? eGaspy. A warwitch siren and pistol wraith took out my Behemoth and Destroyer for the game. I managed to get a fully loaded Beast 09 into base with the Lich Lord, but I rolled poorly and he was left with 1 hit box left. Then LOL FEAT and the game was done.

Uhg. The list seems fine, but I'd never in a million years choose it against that army. Having that many models effectively removed from the game really sucked.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:30:45 AM by Ian Mulligan »
beep bop boop

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 05:12:14 AM »

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 03:06:45 PM »