Author Topic: Primer Question  (Read 1724 times)

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Primer Question
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
So i've been using a sandable primer from AC Moore so far an it seems to have come out fine.

but my question is should i just pay the extra money for the good stuff? i'd hate to have spent all this money on models and paints only to skimp on the primer. does it make that much of a difference?

i've seen a lot of impressively painted armies around BG and i'm just wondering what the pros use

thanks in advance

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
Re: Primer Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
Sandable primer is inherently very thick so you might lose some detail. To be honest, my favorite primer is just dull black, white, or grey paint from AC Moore called touch n' tone. It has like a rainbow on the front and its a bargain with a beautiful finish.

Randl

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:07:24 PM »
I've had very good luck with the GW primer.
I've had very bad luck with Armory brand primer.
Recently thanks to weather I've been working on some airbrush ready primers. Once I have a good sampling I will do a quick personal review

Henry R

• Heroic Tier Level 4
  • Rust Bucket
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
I use GW primer, it has a nice finish and doesn't muck up the detail. It is rather expensive though, so I hate buying it.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »
Thanks for the tip about sandable Bill, i might just pickup some of that touch and tone and some GW primer and see which one works better for me

an Randl i've run into the same problem, too damn cold to prime even in my garage. i'm probably just going to have to lug everything to the fire station and prime it all there in the nice heated stalls so the primer works right