Author Topic: Next warhammer tournament?  (Read 9088 times)

King of the Elves

Next warhammer tournament?
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:46:43 AM »
Hey chase, just wondering if you know around when the next WHFB tournament would be. I know you have a lot going on with 40K, warmachine, megabattle tournaments but i just thought i would ask. Thanks in advance. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Next warhammer tournament?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:22:28 AM »
The second to last weekend in April.  Not sure what date that is...  It'll be that Sunday I believe... Maybe?

I will be taking care of the April calendar next week.  :)
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

JakeM

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:31:26 AM »
What kind of format would people want to do. I know we have a group of players who go to the store every Tuesday, but don't do tournaments. What would make you guys show up?

I would love to see our local tournaments get the kind of turn out 40k gets and after the success of the lost legion tournament I see that it is possible. What can we do to get a beter turn out?

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
How about WHFB 500pt teams?  :)

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Strategic Command Wargaming Club
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:32:19 PM »
I would like to see an event that would limit the size of Unit blocks.  Limit blocks to 25-30, which would eliminate the HEY look at my 100 Great Swords with Killing Blow?!!!!  EGads! I think if you can make units smaller and have more of them you might be able to have more dense terrain on the tables. just my thoughts...
Strategic Command Wargaming Club
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
I don't like that idea because it only hurts weaker armies. My daemons kick ass in units of 25-30, while my beastmen are completely useless.

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
Yeah, are there any prefered tourny rules?  Like limiting blocks or magic, or anything special like that?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
What kind of format would people want to do. I know we have a group of players who go to the store every Tuesday, but don't do tournaments. What would make you guys show up?

I would love to see our local tournaments get the kind of turn out 40k gets and after the success of the lost legion tournament I see that it is possible. What can we do to get a beter turn out?

YES!  This!

What is going to get our Tuesday night crowd to play in a tournament?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Bkyle

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 03:07:09 PM »
I liked the Lost Legion's tournament format: very few army restrictions, not many changes to the core rules, pizza lunch included in entry fee!  I think 2hr 15 min was a little short for 2500 point games.  Maybe smaller points value to encourage fully painted armies?  Either way if BG hosts something on the 21st or 22nd I should be there. 

King of the Elves

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 03:28:42 PM »
one think i think would be cool is if 2 people matched together are playing the same army, you use the new civil war rules from this month and last month's white dwarf. I (personaly) like to play 5 or 6 1,500 point games than only 3 or 4 2,500 point games, but that's just me.

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »
My only hold back from doing a tournament for fantasy really is not knowing all the rules so much that playing in a tournament feels wrong to me since I don't know all the rules and strategies etc... Plus if folks are REALLY competitive and will nickel and dime of a millimeter then leave me out for now.
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Rhys

• Paragon Tier Level 12
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
will nickel and dime of a millimeter then leave me out for now.

that's 40k tournaments you're thinking of  ;D

King of the Elves

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »
will nickel and dime of a millimeter then leave me out for now.

that's 40k tournaments you're thinking of  ;D

Lol

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
Its been my experience that its all tournaments that have an entry fee and prizes... :) but I am getting better and with help from all you more experienced players I will learn everything I need to know...I just need to play a game with you guys.
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Khrimson Death

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »
For me, working weekends its nigh impossible to find the time off unless i use a vacation or a personal day. I am throwing a wild idea out there, but is it possible to have a tournament strung out over a couple week nights? like a tue/ wed  or the same week night in multiple or two weeks? does that make any sense? i know its unconventional, but just a thought. I know the problem that may occur is that people show up the first day and then not on others, but then they would simply forfeit there entrance fee. . .. . . . . .. . .I am gonna try and commit to an even soon, if brother maynard picks me up and drops me off . . :p