Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34325 times)

Grand Master Steve

Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Quetions
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »
A little bit late on reading this, but...

Sam, I think you are 100% in error on your power weapon ruling.  If you have to use what is on the GW kit's sprue, this would mean a space marine tactical squad can never have any sergeant options beyond a plasma pistol or chainsword?  That is absurd.  What is even more disturbing to me is that following this statement, you consider allowing a necromunda model to represent something?  I am not sure what your intention was when you typed that.  The game is obviously shifting toward a more open and casual format where the hobby has impact on gameplay.  By restricting a simple weapon swap, you a restricting the overall spirit of the game, which as a judge, reflects very poorly.

My suggestion is to simply request that models equipped with a power weapon are the type you modeled them as (power axe is an axe, etc.) for the next event to ease things, and seeing how things go.  It is too easy to listen to the opinionated retards on the internet about what will be broken when none of them have more than a handful of games under their belt.  As far as modeling for advantage, the advantage is pretty simple, you get an option, an option that have you any marine character could pay extra points to have as well.  I think you are simply afraid of too much from ramblings of people before anyone has really seen a metagame or even the basic rules develop.

As far as rulings go, it is very simple, despite sales hiccups, GW has done a pretty excellent job with the FAQ and the rulebook is fairly well-written.  People, just take a deep breath, relax, grab some chips, open 'em up, and read your book and refer to errata.  Its about as self-explanatory as it can get if you use a logical approach instead of instantly whining.  There is no reason to run round calling things broken, or shady, or even confusing before you actually give things a chance.

Dave hit the nail on the head. As much as I do not want to agree with something that lives under a bridge and eats children ;)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »
I have a Psychic Power Question.

Sunburst is a Nova Pyschic Power.

Nova says it hits all enemies in range no matter if you don't have LOS they are in Combat and so on and it has a Weapon Profile.

So Sunburst has a Weapon profile of Assault 2D6. Does this mean I roll 2D6 and thats how many it hits in total. Or is it I roll 2d6 and it hits every enemy model in range 2d6 times.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »
I believe every enemy unit in range (not model) will take 2d6 hits.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
Bastions.

They're looking mighty appealing to me, but my armies are not Imperial.

Here's the description of a Bastion from GW's website:
"Bastions can take the form of anything from reinforced ferrocrete bunkers to pyramidal tombs made of living metal. Bastions are typically resilient enough to withstand an orbital bombardment, and often form the cornerstone of a planet's defence network."

The codex entry says "4 heavy bolters, TYPICALLY one on each side".  Also, access points and firepoints are simply listed as "per model".

How much leeway do we have in building a Bastions?   

- Can we use anything other than the actual Imperial Bastion model?  (Would kinda hurt the aesthetics to be using that in like a Necron or Dark Eldar army...)
- How close do the size and shape of a homebuilt bastion need to be to the imperial model?
- Do the heavy bolters actually HAVE to be arranged in a perfect square?
- Can we make Bastions with a different  layout of access points?
- Can we make Bastions with a different  layout of fire points?
- What's the arc of fire on those heavy bolters?   I'm assuming it's sponsons meaning basically, if the heavy bolter can see a target it can fire at it?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:10:06 AM by andalucien »
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
I have to imagine one has the exact same rules and guidelines for bastions as you would for any other custom model.

Does your custom model have approximately the same dimensions? Can you and your opponent clearly tell from where on the model the weapons are being shot? Does your model grant any unfair advantage?

As far as tournament play is concerned, it's the same. If your opponent doesn't let you use a custom model, you would need to have the original (or a darn good copy) ready to go.

Now, if you modeled a bastion with 4 Heavy Bolters on one side, and pointed that side at my army, as an opponent I'd probably have to say something negative, like no.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2012, 10:17:13 AM »
Necron Command barge flyovers: 

These can now only move 12" in the movement phase.

Are we still keeping the same ruling, where a line has to be drawn from the starting position of the barge, through the target unit, to the ending position of the barge?   If so, I think this maneuver is physically impossible to perform now (unless maybe there is a single model unit that is exactly 1" away from the barge).
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »
Necron Command barge flyovers: 

These can now only move 12" in the movement phase.

Are we still keeping the same ruling, where a line has to be drawn from the starting position of the barge, through the target unit, to the ending position of the barge?   If so, I think this maneuver is physically impossible to perform now (unless maybe there is a single model unit that is exactly 1" away from the barge).

Now, c'mon, A rhino is only like 3" across. 

I never quite agrees with the "straight line" ruling but at the same time don't really like "tag" idea, either.   Bottom line is, you have to pass "over" the model.  As in, start on one side, end up on the other,  Which now that I think about it, means you'd be able to draw a straight line, so......yeah. 

andalucien

• God
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
The barge is also 3" across.  It has to start and end the turn 1" away from the rhino.  So the only way it actually fly over a rhino and end up on the other side is if a rhino comes up and "parrallel parks" next to the long edge of the barge and within 2" of it.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
Not sure I'm following your math.  You need to start 1" away, and end 1" away.  You're 3" wide, they're 3" wide. 3+3+1+1=8 leaving you 4" of wiggle room. 

On the other hand, you can just assault the thing now, so.......so?

New edition, things change.  My Redeemer can only move 6" and have guys get out, so it's a lot harder to get my flamer templates lined up, and melta the transport before the guys assault.  So?  DE and Ork charges out of vehicles got nerfed too.

Honestly, I think you'll be ok. 

andalucien

• God
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2012, 11:08:33 AM »
Haha... Sir_Prometheus, try lining up 2 rhinos on the table with a ruler and you will see where your math breaks down.  The Barge needs to travel TWICE its own width to traverse the rhino and end up completely on the other side.  So it's 3+3+3+1+1 = 11"  - meaning the rhino has to be in exactly the perfect spot or it can't be done.   As for sweeping a Land Raider, that's right out.

I actually didn't use the barges even before, b/c it was too difficult to fly over even with 24" against an actual human being.  With 12", I can guarantee you that this will never ever happen except in the 41st millenium's equivalent of a monster truck show. 

Yes, Necrons will be fun (might even be the best army now), but it just bugs me that we would interpret a rule such that effectively cannot be used.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »
Shrug, "over" means "over", not "tagging".

Like I said, just charge it. 

JWebs

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2012, 02:20:53 PM »
How does Hammer of Wrath interact with poisoned attacks, rending attacks, etc? Smash specifically states that it doesn't work with HoW, but there is no such indication for others that I could find.

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
One exception to taking wounds out of line of sight or range is when using.look out sir.

I am sure your not suppose to be able to do it but I can't find the rule that prevents using look out sir against perils of the warp.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »
Bastions.

They're looking mighty appealing to me, but my armies are not Imperial.

Here's the description of a Bastion from GW's website:
"Bastions can take the form of anything from reinforced ferrocrete bunkers to pyramidal tombs made of living metal. Bastions are typically resilient enough to withstand an orbital bombardment, and often form the cornerstone of a planet's defence network."

The codex entry says "4 heavy bolters, TYPICALLY one on each side".  Also, access points and firepoints are simply listed as "per model".

How much leeway do we have in building a Bastions?   

- Can we use anything other than the actual Imperial Bastion model?  (Would kinda hurt the aesthetics to be using that in like a Necron or Dark Eldar army...)
- How close do the size and shape of a homebuilt bastion need to be to the imperial model?
- What's the arc of fire on those heavy bolters?   I'm assuming it's sponsons meaning basically, if the heavy bolter can see a target it can fire at it?

If i had a non imperial non chaos non ork army I would convert my own so fast just so i can be a cool kid with a Custom Bastion.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
Sam (and Ben), I appreciate the spirit of your response to the question about Bastions, but I'm not sure that it answers the specific questions I asked.    I get that we shouldn't "model for advantage", but I'm asking for more specific parameters on what counts as modeling for advantage and what doesn't. 

If the book actually said, "Bastions have a total of 12 firepoints, 3 per side, and they are 4" up the side of the thing", then clearly putting the firepoints anywhere else would be modelling for advantage and shouldn't be done.   

On the other hand, if the book said "It's up to you how many access points and firepoints the bastion should have, as long as it's not more than 10 of each, and they can be anywhere on the model", then clearly putting these things in an optimal spot would be fine. 

However, what we have is sort of in between.  The book sort of hints that bastions can be customized (in the manner of an Aegis defense line), but doesn't give any guidelines.   So I think the 40k community should forge a more specific understanding about HOW customizeable these things are (if at all).  If the answer is, "it needs to have everything in pretty much the same spot as it is on the Imperial Bastion model", then when I'm scratch building my Haunted Tomb, that's what I'll keep in mind.  If more freedom is allowed, since I'm scratch building the thing anyway, I might as well put the features in more effective locations.

So - the specific questions that I don't feel like have been sufficiently answered were (and I don't expect a "snap ruling", just pointing this out as stuff that needs specific answers eventually):