Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34381 times)

andalucien

• God
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the response Sam, I'm cool with that.

All except for the hull mounted guns thing.  Hull mounted weapons are normally put that way because the vehicle itself can move, which still lets you aim the gun.  If I were designing a bastion I wouldn't make it so that there were 4 large "blind spots" where none of the guns were able to shoot incoming bad guys.  If there are 4 guns with a 45 deg arc of fire it means that only 180 of the 360 degrees can be fired at by ANY of the guns.  So if I'm playing against a guy with a bastion I just have to approach at an angle toward any of the corners, rather than coming straight on to one of the sides, and NONE of the heavy bolters can shoot at me?

Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »
Regarding fortifications, I'll be a little more explicit. A tournament has more stringent guidelines than casual play, and adding terrain can have a major impact on how the battle will play out. For the time being, you should keep your custom models close to the official ones in terms of size and layout. Changing the aesthetics is fine, but moving things around for in-game advantage is dancing very close to the line, and I'd rather we just avoid it. So, to address your specific questions:

"How close do the size and shape of a homebuilt bastion need to be to the imperial model?" As close as possible.

"Do the heavy bolters actually HAVE to be arranged in a perfect square?" Yes.

"Can we make Bastions with a different layout of access points?" No.

"Can we make Bastions with a different layout of fire points?" No.

"What's the arc of fire on those heavy bolters?" They appear to be the equivalent of hull-mounted weapons, which means a 45-degree arc of fire.

I would argue the heavy bolters on a bastion actually are sponsons, and have a 90 degree arc.  In this way, they are very similar to the corner weapons on a Monolith -- all points in the circle are under coverage of at least one heavy bolter, and the only way you'd get two bolters to target the same target is to have the "border" between two quadrants pointed at a particular unit.  Because a Bastion can't rotate the way a Monolith can, this is actually much more limiting.

At the same time, there are no "dead zones"  around the bastion.  As I understand it, a hull mounted, 45 degree arc would cause this, Sam.

For access points, it is simple, a Bastion has precisely one.  It doesn't really matter what face. 

Fire points get a lot more complicated, as you CAN model it different ways on the standard kit.  On the "mid-level" (top-level is the battlements) two faces have two firepoints, and two have none.  On the bottom level, each face has one, EXCEPT the face with the access point (you glue that over the slot).  So MY Bastion has one face with 3 slots, 2 with 1, and 1 with 2 (and an access point) but it Could have been 2 with 3, 1 with 1, and 1 with none, for instance. 

Also keep in mind two guns can fire out of each slot, so it's really 6, 4, 2, etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:52:30 PM by Sir_Prometheus »

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »
I was mostly going by the look of the model; they always looked kind of useless to me. But after a bit of research (Planetstrike, to be precise), it seems that GW intends for them to have a 90 degree arc of fire. My bad! We'll go with that.

Zaroth

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
Just a quick question.  The aegis defense line kit comes with 2 8" sections and 4 2" sections for a total of 24".  Could you make 4it 6" sections instead or should we stick to the 2 8"sections and 4 2".

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
Sam, question for you about Flyers and Missiles.  If a Flyer (such as a Storm Raven) enters hover mode, thus counting as a Fast Skimmer, can it fire all 4 missiles at once?

Not too important, since you said the machine SPirit would let it fire 1 more, for 3, anyway, but maybe it could be important.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
Sam, question for you about Flyers and Missiles.  If a Flyer (such as a Storm Raven) enters hover mode, thus counting as a Fast Skimmer, can it fire all 4 missiles at once?

Not too important, since you said the machine SPirit would let it fire 1 more, for 3, anyway, but maybe it could be important.

Actually that makes quite a large difference to the Dark Eldar.  Firing 4 large blast missiles at one unit in one turn was standard operating procedure for the Razorwing Jetfighter in 5th. 
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2012, 09:47:08 PM »
I don't think the DE flyers have a hover mode, so it wouldn't matter to them.  Could be wrong. 

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »
"How does Hammer of Wrath interact with poisoned attacks, rending attacks, etc?" Hammer of Wrath is resolved with a specific Strength and AP, so the usual close combat bonuses do not apply (you're just kicking a dude in the head). Ignore poison and other effects when resolving Hammer of Wrath.

"Can 'Look Out, Sir!' saves be taken against Perils of the Warp?" Perils of the Warp does not allow saves of any kind. I consider Look Out, Sir! to be a type of save (since it's a sidebar on the page of the rulebook dealing with saves), so a desperate Psyker character may not pawn the daemons off on some unsuspecting grunt.

True.  You can't push your psyker out of the way of his brain exploding.

But, you totally can Feel No Pain a Perils of the Warp, because FNP specifically says it is not a saving throw.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2012, 10:30:01 PM »
Just a quick question.  The aegis defense line kit comes with 2 8" sections and 4 2" sections for a total of 24".  Could you make 4it 6" sections instead or should we stick to the 2 8"sections and 4 2".

I believe you have to stick with what the kit has.  The Aegis is 4 5" sections, and 4 2" sections for 28", customizable to whatever design you want.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »
reading up on warseer I found the explination that you cant Look out sir perils of the warp, for the same reason you can't use it for a dangerous terrain test. it has nothing to do with saving throws but its because look out sir is used when wounds are assinged, and that dose not happen when you suffer perils that model just suffers a wound so there is no sub phase to use it in.

I woulden't think the defense lines sections matter they are split up that way for ease of use as long as its no more than 28 inches and your able to place on the table without any other problems it wont grant any real advantage if its four 6 inch sections and two 2 inch ones. now the rules do say up to 4 short and 4 long sections but you have to have them touching each other so it will not matter how you built them they will allways cover the same area.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
Yeah, basically Look Out, Sir! I would argue cannot be used on a Perils of the Warp wound as the wound is never allocated.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2012, 11:22:32 PM »

Rulebook seems pretty explicit on this point. Page 81, "A maximum of two missiles can be fired per Shooting phase, and they count towards the number of weapons fired that turn." The bold print is theirs, not mine. I'd argue PotMS would let you shoot something else, but not a third missile.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Well he already ruled on that one. SR can fire 3 missiles. Anyway, argument can be made the whole restriction only applies to "flyers", and a flyer in hover mode is fast skimmer, not a flyer.

Serring

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2012, 02:38:26 AM »
A flyer is always a flyer, and he made a ruling w/o hearing what Ben just said. I'm sure he'll change his mind when he sees it, after all, its strait forward with no loops that you can hop through.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2012, 08:54:20 AM »
Except Power of Machine Spirit says "Can fire one more weapon at its Full Ballistic Skill than is normally permitted".  Ergo,you are permitted 2 missiles per phase, Power let's you fire a third.