Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34310 times)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
So, what you are saying is that you would like GW to use precise, consistent, language?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »
So, what you are saying is that you would like GW to use precise, consistent, language?
Only some of the time.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: July 18, 2012, 09:11:52 PM »
No!  No soup for you!

But seriously, I actually think this is one of the more clear cut examples.  All shooting (from 1 unit) occurs simultaneously.  Both bullets (or plasma bolts) are travelling down the barrel at the same time, silly as that is.  One kills him, the other hits the enemy. 

It's same for Plasma cannons, and you really can't try to get too technical with GW's language, or you'll break it.  The d6 is just a stand-in for the BS roll of a regular weapon, since they had no better way to apply Gets Hot!

I got better a question for you.....why is a Twin-linked Plasma Rifle 1/6th as likely to overheat as a single Plasma Rifle?  Shouldn't it be about twice as likely (at least)?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: July 18, 2012, 09:50:34 PM »
It's same for Plasma cannons, and you really can't try to get too technical with GW's language, or you'll break it.
It's true. I've had Magic on the brain alot, so words like "immediately" may have a different connotation. I'm pretty sure GW means for a side-sponson plasma cannon to still fire even if the other one wrecks the vehicle. But I still think its balls-awesome for the cannons to just explode... in my imagination.

minimag47

• Email
« Reply #244 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »
This is more of an FAQ question.

In the newest Blood Angel FAQ they mention how the Skies of Blood works considering 6th edition. The Grey Knight FAQ makes no mention of how to use it in 6th. The Grey Knight rule specifies that you use it if the vehicle moves Flat Out. Was this just an oversight on GW's end or do you think they mean to make a distinction between the two vehicles?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: July 23, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
Sigh.

I think in this case, we can say with some surety that you would use the Blood Angel language for GK Stormraven's as well.

But wow, that was sloppy. 

Ahrimaneus

• Frank Doyle
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2012, 02:06:23 AM »
I have two rules conundrums regarding the Feel No Pain special rule.

#1: If a model has the Eternal Warrior special rule, it is thereby "immune to the effects of Instant Death."  Does this mean that FnP can be taken against ID wounds on a model that has Eternal Warrior?

#2: If a model with a Shadowfield fails its 2++ save, the rules for a Shadowfield state that "if this save is ever failed, the Shadowfield is destroyed."  However, under the rules for FnP, it states, at the end, that if the FnP save is made, "the unsaved wound is discounted - TREAT IT AS HAVING BEEN SAVED."  So, does this mean that the Shadowfield is still intact if you make your FnP save??

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
1)  Far as I can tell, yes, same way a Force weapon would void FNP (with no eternal warrior).

2) All same arguements happened in 5th, is FNP a saved wound, etc.  I think everyone agreed that it was.  But not matter what, the shadowfield still failed its save. 

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: July 25, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
"In the newest Blood Angel FAQ they mention how the Skies of Blood works considering 6th edition. The Grey Knight FAQ makes no mention of how to use it in 6th. The Grey Knight rule specifies that you use it if the vehicle moves Flat Out. Was this just an oversight on GW's end or do you think they mean to make a distinction between the two vehicles?" Oversight. Grey Knights can't suddenly Deep Strike in the shooting phase. Consider the wording of the two rules to be identical where they are identical in the codexes (so apart from the jump pack/personal teleporter deal).

"If a model has the Eternal Warrior special rule, it is thereby 'immune to the effects of Instant Death.'  Does this mean that FnP can be taken against ID wounds on a model that has Eternal Warrior?" Yes. Nurglings are badass.

"If a model with a Shadowfield fails its 2++ save, the rules for a Shadowfield state that 'if this save is ever failed, the Shadowfield is destroyed.'  However, under the rules for FnP, it states, at the end, that if the FnP save is made, 'the unsaved wound is discounted - TREAT IT AS HAVING BEEN SAVED.'  So, does this mean that the Shadowfield is still intact if you make your FnP save?" The model took two saves: a 2+ invulnerable save, and a Feel No Pain save. If the first save fails and the second succeeds, the wound has been saved by the second save, not the first. The invulnerable save failed, and the Shadowfield shuts down.

Just a thought;

a) EW makes the model immune to ID (ie cannot be removed from play as a result of Instant Death), but the nature of the wound itself is still Instant Death which would negate FNP (as a result of the special rule applied to the wound).  But, I like that Nurglings are Badass, so either way.

b) Sam's right, but for note FnP is specifically stated to not be a save, so the failed save removes the protection of the Shadowfield, but FNP would negate the wound inflicted.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Ahrimaneus

• Frank Doyle
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: July 25, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »
Shadowfield: yeah that's how I had been playing it, but naturally the language of the FnP rule changed to be possibly applicable.  Stupid GW and inconsistent language.  Doesn't really matter that much since I'll be using Fortune for my 2++ re-rollable save  :o

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: July 25, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »
Can't.  Fortune doesn't affect eldar units.  No, you can't get around that by putting the archon in an eldar unit.  It then affects the unit, not him. 

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #251 on: July 25, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »
They are dark what?  Eldar.   It does not say it affects only Codex: Eldar units.    Eldar is a race.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #252 on: July 25, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »
Has the Necron doom scythe been discussed with its uber cannon firing with Sky Fire? Rules as written it seems it can but fluff text says it cant something about the beam traveling on the ground not the sky. Personaly I think the RAW of it is very easily abused allowing it to demolish any flyer in the game.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: July 25, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »
Sam's ruling (and this sounds correct to me) is that if the doomscythe uses skyfire, yes, it can hit flyers, but then it can't ground uses.

You can't use an attack that doesn't use BS as a snap attack.  But if you're using skyfire, then you're not snap attacking.

Basically the game has two levels, ground and flyer height.  Pick one. 

It's still powerful, but probably not any worse than say, a Stormravens melta to the face. 

andalucien

• God
« Reply #254 on: July 25, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
Has the Necron doom scythe been discussed with its uber cannon firing with Sky Fire? Rules as written it seems it can but fluff text says it cant something about the beam traveling on the ground not the sky. Personaly I think the RAW of it is very easily abused allowing it to demolish any flyer in the game.

I don't think that's "abuse"... that's just what the weapon does.  Before the flyer rules, it would demolish any vehicle in the game (at least, almost as much as a multi-melta would).  After the flyer rules, it does exactly the same thing. 

Using a stormraven's multi-melta will destroy another flyer even more consistently, and that's not "abuse", right?
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.