Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34328 times)

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #270 on: July 26, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »
Just an FYI this was on the NOVA FAQ

Clarification – Battle Brother IC’s – When an Independent Character joins a unit, it is counted as a part of the unit for all rules purposes. For example, if a Dark Eldar Archon joins an Eldar Harlequin unit, the unit is still considered an Eldar Unit (and so could be, for instance, Fortuned).
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: July 26, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »
Actually the BA FAQ makes total sense it would replace the moving flat out comment so they can deep strike when its zooming bcause t moed more then 6"  Very clearly worded.  Now as for the GK version thats a whole different story.

Right, that's been settled we're using the BA FAQ for the GK SR.

Just an FYI this was on the NOVA FAQ

Clarification – Battle Brother IC’s – When an Independent Character joins a unit, it is counted as a part of the unit for all rules purposes. For example, if a Dark Eldar Archon joins an Eldar Harlequin unit, the unit is still considered an Eldar Unit (and so could be, for instance, Fortuned).

Yes, I saw that, and I could not disagree in stronger terms.  Fortune is clearly only meant to affect eldar, not dark eldar. 

Fortunately, BG doesn't use the NOVA FAQ. 

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #272 on: July 26, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
regardless of your opinion, the NOVA ruling for now is correct. 

Also, again, Dark _____????  Eldar.   If GW wanted to limit it to CODEX:ELDAR, they would have erratta'd it the same way they did other books.

It is still an Eldar unit regardless. 

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: July 26, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »
regardless of your opinion, the NOVA ruling for now is correct. 

Also, again, Dark _____????  Eldar.   If GW wanted to limit it to CODEX:ELDAR, they would have erratta'd it the same way they did other books.

It is still an Eldar unit regardless.

Except not, becuae we don't use the NOVA FAQ around here.

And what the hell are you talking about?  Eldar =/= Dark Eldar. 

Ahrimaneus

• Frank Doyle
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: July 26, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Sam!

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: July 26, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
OK, but I wasn't sure it was that clear.  It sounds like you're saying you cannot get fortune on a DE archon?

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #276 on: July 26, 2012, 02:22:29 PM »
Matt as my world does not revolve around Sams' ruleing I am offering different perspectives so he can make an educated decision.  As for the Raven decision I agree with it.  As for the Eldar decision I actually think Keith and NOVA have it right as well.  Does it suck?  Is it difficult to deal with?  Yes but so are a 10 man unit of Paladins that are all characters with look out sir bullshit FNP etc..

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #277 on: July 26, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »
OK, but I wasn't sure it was that clear.  It sounds like you're saying you cannot get fortune on a DE archon?

No he is saying you cannot target a DE unit.  Not that  DE character cannot be affected while IN an eldar unit.

Battle brothers CAN target/affect each other with psychic powers.   Fortune specifically has an additional restriction, of only being able to target an eldar unit.   An eldar unit with an attached character is still an eldar unit.  We have nothing to suggest otherwise.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #278 on: July 26, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »
2. "Eldar" refers to the racial identity of the Eldar and Dark Eldar, meaning Fortune can be cast on Dark Eldar, but immediately ends if the opposing player has an Eldar or Dark Eldar army (since the effects of Fortune last "until the start of the next Eldar turn").

This would still be true with ruling 1 if both players are playing eldar.  Is that how you intend for it to be played sam?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: July 26, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »

No he is saying you cannot target a DE unit.  Not that  DE character cannot be affected while IN an eldar unit.

Battle brothers CAN target/affect each other with psychic powers.   Fortune specifically has an additional restriction, of only being able to target an eldar unit.   An eldar unit with an attached character is still an eldar unit.  We have nothing to suggest otherwise.

Yeah, I understand that's your argument.  But no, that's not what he said.

He only confirmed eldar =/= dark eldar or at least that's what he was leaning towards.  He did not address whether an archon in an eldar unit can be affected.  It is my proposition that it cannot, because it is not an eldar model.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #280 on: July 26, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »
Ruling one said that Eldar "refers specifically to Codex: Eldar as it is being used by this player". In most cases, then the name of the army appears in a codex, it refers to that codex and the player's army. So, no, it is not my intention to have Fortune end immediately when fighting Eldar. If you wish to argue that such an outcome should be the case, feel free! Might be amusing in a casual game (PSYKER THUMB WAR), but I'm not going to run tournaments that way.

Sam, still not quite understanding what you're referring to.  "end when fighting eldar"?  We're talking about eldar and DE allying.  I.e., the DE archon goes in a eldar unit, can the archon benefit from Fortune, which says it can only be cast on eldar units?

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: July 26, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
However Matt if you read the IC rules once a IC joins a unit it is part of the unit.  And with the BB rules an IC can join an ally unit.  So therefore the Archon becomes part of the Eldar unit hence getting the fortune result....

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: July 26, 2012, 04:33:11 PM »
Except it's still not an eldar.  So it doesn't get the benefit.

This even has a precedent, of sorts.  If an IC joins a unit after the power was cast on them, he doesn't get the benefit, just the unit does. 

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: July 26, 2012, 04:44:39 PM »
When an IC joins a unit is he part of the unit?  or is the unit part of him?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: July 26, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »
He is part of the unit.

But, if an IC joins a unit that has an effect going on already, he doesn't get that benefit.  That's in the main rulebook.

So it's not like there's some IC=unit thing going on.  A power doesn't have to affect both.