Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34393 times)

King of the Elves

Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #345 on: November 18, 2012, 02:53:51 AM »
What is allowed for slots as far as allies go? (Allies of convenience) Is it 1 HQ and 1 troop or is it any HQ and any other slot? Thanks in advance, king

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #346 on: November 18, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »
1HQ
1-2 Troops
1 FA
1 Elite
1 Heavy

King of the Elves

« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2012, 07:48:36 PM »
Cool thanks

BrianP

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2013, 11:42:31 PM »
So I went back and forth about resurrecting this thread or starting a new one... if future rules questions should be posted separately instead of here, just let me know and I can oblige  ;D

I've spent arguably too much time reading both sides to each of these questions, so at this point I'm just looking for Sam to chime in on these and let me know how Battleground events will handle them. I realize he does not check the forums regularly, so if anyone can poke him and/or convey his response it would be most appreciated!

First:
Bastions and blast weapons. If a blast weapon targets a unit on the battlements, does the entire bastion get hit too? When Jason and I played at the invitational we both thought it made sense that when he blasted Coteaz on the battlements with a manticore missile, the bastion took a hit too. However, I just finished reading a battle report that did not resolve a similar situation that way... and reading around apparently the FAQ stated that the battlements are a separate building? So, because of that, people are playing that blasts to the battlements do not hurt the bastion itself? I can see it going both ways, just looking for Sam to chime in.

Second:
Vendettas and IG infantry platoons. Normally, if you want to reserve part of a platoon, you have to reserve the entire platoon. However, the FAQ now states that for platoons, "Any units in reserve that are embarked upon a non-dedicated transport are instead rolled for separately". Given a Vendetta is a non-dedicated transport, does that mean you can deploy the platoon on the table, but put one squad inside the Vendetta and have just that squad start in reserve (because it has to)?

Thanks!

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: January 12, 2013, 12:07:27 AM »
This will be passed along to him... now.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Sam

• Global Moderator
  • Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #350 on: January 12, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »
Battlements don't have armor values, so they couldn't be targeted/hit separately from the bastion itself. Let's go with this: blasts hitting a unit on the battlements of a building may also hit the building itself.

The bit about rolling for the embarked unit separately is a follow-up to the guidelines for when the platoon is in reserve, so you can't split the unit between the table and reserve. The entire platoon would have to be in reserve, but the embarked unit would have its own reserve roll.

BrianP

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: January 12, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the clarity Sam!

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: January 13, 2013, 01:31:10 AM »
Time to ask an Iffy one.

Pg. 104 Comms Relay.

Any player with an unengaged model within 2" of a comms relay can re-roll Reserves rolls. If a model is in cover behind a comms relay, it has a 5+ cover save.

If an enemy model is 2" away from the Comms Relay and you have a model 2" away from the Comms Relay on the other side and they are both unengaged does this mean you both can re-roll reserve rolls?

And say in a Doubles game your partner and yourself are both 2" away from it does that mean both of you can re-roll reserve rolls?
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #353 on: January 15, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
Looks like GW has a made a call on the necron thing... in the digital codex at least. Hopefully the FAQ wont be far behind

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2013/01/changes-found-in-digital-codices.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Faeit212+%28Faeit+212%29

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
The bit about rolling for the embarked unit separately is a follow-up to the guidelines for when the platoon is in reserve, so you can't split the unit between the table and reserve. The entire platoon would have to be in reserve, but the embarked unit would have its own reserve roll.

Not an IG expert, but you are specifically allowed to reserve (usually DS) half a combat squadded marine unit.  Not sure why IG would work differently, and if they are, it sounds like the vendetta thing (only non-dedicated transport IG have, I think) would be an exception to that. 

Most people just use veterans for them, anyway, so it's not an issue. 

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »
I concur.  I don't think IG are meant to be be restricted to deploying or reserving every possible element of a platoon together.  They just get to deploy them all if there's a special mission which limits how many units can be deployed, and they roll for them together if reserved (only rolling separately for any units embarked onto non-dedicated transports). 

I agree that Combat Squads are an illustrative parallel case.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: January 24, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »
So I got a question for the group/Sam, at least until they FAQ it.  DOES the DA Devastation banner work on Hurricane bolters?  FOr those unfamiliar, there are fundamentally two possible answers. 

1)  A hurricane bolter is nothing more than bank of 3 twinlinked bolters.

2) That's just a fluff description, it's really it's own thing, just like a storm bolter is different than a boltgun. 

I tend to favor the latter interpretation, because after all, a weapon destroyed result would take away the whole hurricane bolter, not just one of them, and likewise, when you use Power of the Machine Spirit to fire an extra weapon, you fire the whole thing.  THat, to me, means it is its own distinct entity.  But on the other hand, they do call it  "3 twinlinked bolters", you're even asked to extrapolate it's number of shots, range etc, that way, and GW has totally used fluff to drive rules before, going so far as to label even mandrakes "demons".

But then again, Sternguard can't use their special ammo in stormbolters, even though you gotta figure they fire the same rounds. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:45:44 PM by Sir_Prometheus »

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #357 on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
So I got a question for the grown/Sam, at least until they FAQ it.  DOES the DA Devastation banner work on Hurricane bolters?  FOr those unfamiliar, there are fundamentally two possible answers. 

1)  A hurricane bolter is nothing more than bank of 3 twinlinked bolters.

2) That's just a fluff description, it's really it's own thing, just like a storm bolter is different than a boltgun. 

I tend to favor the latter interpretation, because after all, a weapon destroyed result would take away the whole hurricane bolter, not just one of them, and likewise, when you use Power of the Machine Spirit to fire an extra weapon, you fire the whole thing.  THat, to me, means it is its own distinct entity.  But on the other hand, they do call it  "3 twinlinked bolters", you're even asked to extrapolate it's number of shots, range etc, that way, and GW has totally used fluff to drive rules before, going so far as to label even mandrakes "demons".

But then again, Sternguard can't use their special ammo in stormbolters, even though you gotta figure they fire the same rounds.

I think we can agree it doesnt effect bolt pistols, storm bolters, heavy bolters, etc

Now i dont think it was INTENDED to effect hurricane bolters however...

I dont have my DA codex in front of me but i know for a fact the GK codex doesnt have a seperate entry for hurricane bolters, it just says 3 TL "boltguns"

So i would argue banner of devestation DOES affect hurricane bolters if they do not have their own statline and are instead going off the "3 TL boltguns entry"

I really don't see this coming up much personally as i dont think fielding LRs is very effective for this codex and if somebody brings a flyer with the hurricane bolters that starts the arguement of "well hes up in the air so it's not 6 inches to his hull"

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #358 on: January 24, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
None of these arguments are really worth a second breath.  The banner effects bolters.  A hurricane bolter is three twin-linked bolters, it does not have a unique stat line, unlike storm bolters or heavy bolters, which have a separately listed stat line.  Plus, who is really that upset about someone using this anyways?

The issue of the flier is one that shouldn't come up, as odd as it sounds that a banner effects a flier, it will by the rules for measuring.  If you didn't, then many weapons would not be able to target fliers, which already can/are.

Tiger's Den founding member

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: January 24, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »
Oh, no.  Did you just say, in effect, "there's no question", when clearly, people are having questions?