Author Topic: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions  (Read 34314 times)

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Re: Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rules Questions
« Reply #435 on: April 10, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
I wouldnt say 12 all around is a crappy armor comparison.    Ravens are nice especially when built as gun ships they pump out alot of fire power.

I like the idea are Sharks an actual codex?  I have seen them popping up lately.

It's not in the Vanilla codex as a successor chapter. I know Ben's Shark Marines have more of a fun factor to them (the drop pods are "Chum buckets" lol)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #436 on: April 10, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »
Carcharodons are from FW's Badab War books.

Like other special space marines, Tyberos replaces chapter tactics and gives special options for the army.
You can replace a bolter for a CCW
All marines (PA and TA)get Furious charge instead of chapter tactics
If a marines (PA and TA) destroys a unit in close combat, it gains rage
One assault terminator squad armed with lightning claws can be taken as a troops choice

Tyberos is also a fun character in his own right as he gets prefered enemy "army of unit I just killed" so you kill a marine squad, you get preferred enemy space marines. Also, hunger and slake (lightning claws with chainfists inside) is pretty fun to use for versatility.  The only bummer is no iron halo.

This is my attempt at a "good guy" army given I have a huge chaos army.

EDIT:
I say crappy as I'm just talking trash. AV12 has been real good to me on my heldrakes.

EDIT2:
They hint that they are a successor to Raven Guard in the Badab book.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:37:37 PM by the_trooper »

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #437 on: April 10, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
Ah sounds very cool.  I saw that model it is super awesome.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

JWebs

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #438 on: April 10, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
SO the way most people play it, not only can you have a drop pod army, but it's the ONLY army (including variants) that can do a whole reserve list.

Couldn't nids do it with spores? They actually are forced into their pods, they can't elect to not take the pod in.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #439 on: April 10, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »
New question:

Are battlements considered area terrain?

I'm just curious if going to ground on battlements grant the 2+ to cover saves

or is this a non-issue because the 3+ fortification save on pg. 18 applies to battlements?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:15:54 PM by PhoenixFire »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #440 on: April 10, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »
SO the way most people play it, not only can you have a drop pod army, but it's the ONLY army (including variants) that can do a whole reserve list.

Couldn't nids do it with spores? They actually are forced into their pods, they can't elect to not take the pod in.

Maybe?  I dunno, can an entire via list fit in spores? 

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #441 on: April 10, 2013, 05:30:27 PM »
New question:

or is this a non-issue because the 3+ fortification save on pg. 18 applies to battlements?

Battlements are 4+, that's in a FAQ somewhere.  They are not area terrain. 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #442 on: April 10, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
New question:

Battlements are 4+, that's in a FAQ somewhere.  They are not area terrain.

Ah good call, it does indeed specify in the BRB FAQ that battlements are a 4+ save. I assume the 3+ save applies to vehicles or units 25% obscured behind it then.

It doesn't specify in the BRB or the FAQ however if they do or do not count as area terrain. All it says is area terrain needs to have a clearly defined border (which battlements do) and area terrain is difficult terrain (which battlements are) so if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... Seems i need to do some more interwebz searching on this one.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:25:38 PM by PhoenixFire »

JWebs

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #443 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »

Hmmm, I think the HQ slot might stop it. It depends on whether a flyrant would be considered forced into reserves. Since it can glide (or hover or whatever it is for FMC) would that mean it can be deployed normally therefor it has to be?

Otherwise you can fill every slot with some form of pod or flyer.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: April 11, 2013, 12:25:18 AM »
Flyers wouldnt count towards that.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: April 11, 2013, 02:22:50 AM »
Do tyranid spores come down automatically turn 1?  I thought they were normal reserves.  If not, then you're screwed because you'll lose turn 1 and nothing is on the board.  If they come on turn 1, then great, tyranids can do it too. 

It doesn't specify in the BRB or the FAQ however if they do or do not count as area terrain. All it says is area terrain needs to have a clearly defined border (which battlements do) and area terrain is difficult terrain (which battlements are) so if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... Seems i need to do some more interwebz searching on this one.

No.  Things are area terrain for specific reasons.  One of those reasons can be "because both players agree to call it that" but that's something that's based upon the terrain modeled.  i.e., it's a pile of rubble, or a swampy type thing, or a pile of alien cotton candy, or whatever.

SOme things are always area terrain.  Forests are, wrecks are, craters are.

Ruins aren't even area terrain (the bases are often considered such) though they are difficult terrain (presumably cuz there's broken masonry scattered everywhere).

A building is much like a ruin before it got ruined.  There's NOT stuff scattered everywhere.  It's worth noting area terrain is ALWAYS difficult terrain.  Why would a race make it hard to get across their nice, smooth, battlements?

Battlements aren't area terrain because they don't share any of the features of area terrain.  I WOULD think it reasonable to have the same +2 if you go ground rule that the Aegis line does, cuz they're constructed like crenulations, and I mean, look at it, it's just like an Aegis line, but on top of a building. 

But they don't share those rules, so there you are.  Truth is the Fortification rules are awful, contradictory, and not thought out very well.  More than usual, I mean. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:47:57 AM by Sir_Prometheus »

JWebs

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #446 on: April 11, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
Do tyranid spores come down automatically turn 1?  I thought they were normal reserves.  If not, then you're screwed because you'll lose turn 1 and nothing is on the board.  If they come on turn 1, then great, tyranids can do it too. 

Good call, I always forget that rule.

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2013, 12:22:45 AM »
Matt’s right on Area Terrain.  None of the Fortifications are Area; if they were, it would say so in their rules.   Certain terrain features are specified as being Area Terrain in the rulebook; others (generally ones with a flat base/other defined area and scattered raised bits; like trees, scattered rubble, ice crystals, etc.) can be agreed on with an opponent or defined as being Area by an event organizer. 

I play it as anything in a drop pod, Flyer doesn't count, including ICs, and that's how most other people play it too, but it is NOT a settled issue.
It is a settled issue.  The reason you play it that way is because those are the rules.  You've apparently just forgotten where those rules are stated (the Deep Strike rules and the BRB FAQ). 

The general rules for Reserves state that a unit and their Dedicated Transport are counted together, but ICs are counted separately.  The specific rule for transports which always start in Reserve is that ALL models embarked on them are ignored for purposes of calculating Reserve allowances. 

Originally when the rulebook was printed this latter exception was only specified in the Deep Strike rules, so only appeared only to apply to transports which always Deep Strike (Drop Pods, basically), but then GW expanded it when they did the big FAQ update back in September.  They put a ruling in the BRB FAQ that anything embarked on any transport which always starts in Reserve is ignored for Reserve calculations.  And they helpfully made clear that this isn’t just limited to Dedicated Transports, because they used the Valkyrie/Vendetta as an example.

Hmmm, I think the HQ slot might stop it. It depends on whether a flyrant would be considered forced into reserves. Since it can glide (or hover or whatever it is for FMC) would that mean it can be deployed normally therefor it has to be?

Otherwise you can fill every slot with some form of pod or flyer.
Yes and no.  FMCs have the option to start on the table in Glide mode, so they do count toward the Reserve limit.  However, you’re allowed to round up when calculating half.  So if all of your units are in Pods except for one HQ, you can round up on that 1 unit that counts, and Reserve him.

---------------------

And because I didn't get to give my two (polite) cents on the new bases question, if no one objects, I'd like to do that here:  Edited out.  Thanks, Chase!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:33:30 AM by Mannahnin »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2013, 01:20:23 AM »
I really don't think it's clear from the BRB alone, but, you got me searching the FAQ:

Q:Do units that are transported in a vehicle that MUST start
in reserve count towards the number of units that can be
placed in Reserves? For example,must I count the units in a
Drop Pod or Valkyrie towards the 50% of units I can place in
Reserves? (p124)
A: No.

OK, guess that settles that. 

Not touching the basing thing, I'll just wind up yelling again. 

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2013, 02:11:50 AM »
Good call re: the basing thing.  I sometimes get a chance to peek at the forums at work, but can't log into anything to post.  So today i had composed a nice long post about it and emailed it to myself, then got home late after D&D and found Chase had locked the thread.  :)

-------------

Re: Reserves, I agree that pre-FAQ it only applied to Deep Striking transports.  Pre-FAQ I was counting all the units embarked on my Storm Ravens against my Reserve allowance.  Thankfully that ruling came out in the second wave of FAQs.