Author Topic: 500 points event?  (Read 2886 times)

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
500 points event?
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »
If anyone here checks out the 40k stuff, you know that the 500 points of victory tournaments are super fun and a great success.  So why not give it a go in fantasy?

I had simple thoughts for this: 4x4 table, low points.  500 may be to  restrictive for some armies, but is it doable?  if not what would it need to be for everyone to be happy and keep it in the low point spirit?

My individual thoughts is it should be fine, I'm gonna throw in that named characters are out.  Should make it interesting and keep it an enjoyable event.
Tiger's Den founding member

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
Re: 500 points event?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »
It is doable, but using percentages makes it very difficult for a lot of armies.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »
This was my main issue, Warriors and Ogres are the most expensive hero-wise and I managed them, but the hero was fairly weak, but were talking warriors, which ruin face fine on their own.  One issue too is do vampires/tk still need a king or vampire in the list?

Ways to fix this is:

1.  Allow for a player to not take lord/hero choices.
2.  Make the points just enough to let everyone get a hero with a few mundane gear and an item.
3.  Just roll with it and see what happens.

No named characters seems quite fine as well, as some are pretty aggressive in cost for what they do.

King of the Elves

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:46:51 AM »
Field ALL the archers!!!

JoshL

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:18:29 AM »
Im still pretty new but would definately be interested in going to something like this
Though itd be tough for my ogres

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:10:34 AM »
Going to try this out soon and see how it goes.

Ogres are fine!

Firebelly

bulls
bulls
ironguts

EZPZ (also probably 1800 points)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:10:55 AM »
Fantasy usually scales higher in points, right? Maybe 750 instead?

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
I think 750 might be a great Idea.

Bkyle

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:29:03 AM »
I think 750 would be fun.  If you're worried about armies like ogres needing characters you could allow champions to be the general.  An ogre champion is still a beast. 

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »
750 would be fun too.

What are you thinking Dave, we all just pile into abington and have at it one day, or something a bit more organized :)

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:26 PM »
Lets keep it casual for now so we can see what happens with 750.  I am not going with adepticons rules.  It is a normal game of fantasy at 750 points.  Easy stuff.

Once we figure out any issues, we can move on to the other stuff

King of the Elves

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »
750 would be fun too.

What are you thinking Dave, we all just pile into abington and have at it one day, or something a bit more organized :)

Cheers,
Alan

I think a few casual games to see how it works out would be good, then after a while do some sort of community run event. 

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 08:02:54 PM »
Here's my intention for this, we could have a "Low points" day of the week where people come in to build, paint, and play games.  Every month or two we can have a tournament to add to the excitement.

As odd as this sounds coming from an Abington guy, I want this to be an open store/community.  Now that the two stores are in similar conditions, I think there is no excuse why we can't mingle once in a while.  Turnout for these low point events are huge and I want to see that keep happening, they are tons of fun.

King of the Elves

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 10:10:29 PM »
Here's my intention for this, we could have a "Low points" day of the week where people come in to build, paint, and play games.  Every month or two we can have a tournament to add to the excitement.

I nominate Sundays, not a ton of people, and you can play multiple games even with the stores short hours.   

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »
Nah, it should be a regular night like a tuesday where people can come in and paint/assemble/talk for the first shift and play the second shift.  Make it a community thing get people involved.

That, or just an event.