Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 8782 times)

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
What Are You Reading?
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:01:47 PM »
This is a community of highly intellectual and well read individuals.  Let's discuss what you're reading now.

I'm reading a few titles.  I just started to read The Demon in the Freezer by Richard Preston (guy who wrote The Hot Zone).  I'm also reading The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Starkey.  On top of that I'm reading the DND 4th ed Player's Handbook.  Lastly, I'm reading (get ready for a long title) The Buccaneers of America A True Account of the Most Remarkable Assaults Committed of Late Years upon the Coasts of the West Indies by the Buccaneers of Jamaica and Tortuga (Both English and French): WHerein are contained more especially the Unparalleled Exploits of Sir Henry Morgan, our English Jamaican Hero, who sacked Porto Bello, burnt Panama, etc written by Alexandre Olivier Exquemelin (aka John Esquemeling) and printed in 1678.

The last one is a good book.  Actually they are all real interesting and yes I tend to read a lot of titles at once.  How about you?
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
When I'm not studying for class or reading for work, I fill my noggin' with trashy sci-fi novels.

Before I moved, I was reading Storm of Iron.  I'm sure the book is in a box around here somewhere...

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:10:20 AM »
This thread.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

EDIT - Seriously, the Dark Tower series.
beep bop boop

Opforce3

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:21:04 AM »
"House of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielewski. craziest book ever

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Doin' what I can with what I got."
-Burt Gummer

6/4/11 NEVER FORGET

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 12:21:23 AM »
This thread.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

EDIT - Seriously, the Dark Tower series.

Have you checked out the graphic novel at all?  Or, only read the novels?  They seem to be real popular.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:31:44 AM »
Novels right now. I'll check out the comics after I finish.
beep bop boop

Jonathan

• God
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:43:21 AM »
Hmm I'll have to add them to my list.  Lots of people giving the novels major props.  Worth trying one out to see if I enjoy.

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:36:48 AM »
This year I've been doing a lot of re-reading.

I'm currently reading Stephen King's "It" for the second time. After I've finished, I plan to read Gary Gygax's "Gord the Rogue" series again (in honor of the great man's passing).

I also read a huge amount of non-novel type literature, the bulk of it role-playing material (lately, lots and lots of D&D 4th edition stuff).

D.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

JaredB

• Heroic Tier Level 10
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:03:56 AM »
I'm reading "Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul". Very interesting, especially for a huge Batfan like me.  I also just started The Destroyer series.  Its the series that the movie "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" was based on. I'm about half done with the first book and so far its good.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:12:44 AM »
"House of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielewski. craziest book ever

Google- Ted the Caver.

Warpedfuzz

• Paragon Tier Level 16
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 12:27:50 PM »
I just started the Dark Hersey series.Same universe we all know, but a thousand years or so earlier.So far, not bad. I tend to mostly to read sci-fi.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:10:51 PM by Warpedfuzz »
~ Lead, follow, or get the HELL out of my way! ~

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 02:33:07 PM »
Last book I completely read was Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton.  It is the account of a muslim in Norse country.  13th warrior, the movie, was loosely based off this book.

Book I am currently reading is Shooter, it is about a MFR sniper from waltham and his experience in iraq and his changing of the marine corp sniper doctorine

Unit04

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 03:34:19 PM »
I also read a huge amount of non-novel type literature, the bulk of it role-playing material (lately, lots and lots of D&D 4th edition stuff).

D.

And people get mad at me when I read rules. 

I'm reading the Once and Future King currently.  Also some Sherlock Holmes and I try to keep up with the Horus Heresy series. 

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »
I talk about it a lot, I know, but I'm currently still reading the Shannara series.  I've loved everything so far, so I'm going to be continuing.  While I'm not a slow reader by any point, I never have time to.  During school I barely read at all, and over the summer I do so many other things.  Once I finally find the time to, though, I finish the book fast.

A series I plan to reread soon is the Earthsea setting by Ursula K. LeGuin.  I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes fantasy, as it gives a very strange take on magic, incorporating some points of truename magic as well.  It's a great cycle.

And that's what my literary life is.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:16:49 PM »
And people get mad at me when I read rules. 

I'm reading the Once and Future King currently.  Also some Sherlock Holmes and I try to keep up with the Horus Heresy series. 

I loved the Once and Future King. That's on my re-read list too :)
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax