Author Topic: Armies of Immoren: The Protectorate of Menoth!  (Read 13652 times)

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
Armies of Immoren: The Protectorate of Menoth!
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:04:49 AM »
(Here's a link to the main post about the Armies of Immoren project: http://www.battlegroundgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.0)

I've been playing Warmachine since 2002 and with the exception of a short stint playing Cygnar for a few weeks last year, I have never touched anything outside of Khador. When my fiancee decided to get into the game, I thought this would be the perfect time to finally pick up a second faction. After days of deliberation, jumping between Cryx, Trollbloods, and the Protectorate, I made my decision.

The most challenging games I've ever played in Warmachine were against seasoned Protectorate players. The synergies the army generates can make even the lowliest of warriors take down armored behemoths. Many of their warcaster's spells have so many uses, it takes months to pick up on the nuances. Beyond that, the faction has some of the best beatsticks in the game. The possible synergies, finesse, and access to some brute force adds up to a faction I am pretty excited to be starting.

A 350 point list forces a lot of compromise and I knew when I started writing it that a lot of units I wanted to use would have to sit out for a month or two. Picking a warcaster was ESPECIALLY hard. The High Reclaimer, Grand Exemplar Kreoss, and the brand new High Executioner Servath Reznik are all awesome. I narrowed it down to the High Reclaimer or Reznik. It was a tough choice, but Reznik's brute force and 'jack love made him win out in the end. The list I finally decided on was decent balance between models I want to use RIGHT NOW and things that are legitimately good at the point level we'll be playing at. Here's what I'm planning on starting with:

High Executioner Servath Reznik
     - Redeemer
     - Revenger
Vassal of Menoth
Choir of Menoth (5)
Holy Zealots (10)
     - Monolith Bearer

Total: 350 exactly!

Let's do a quick rundown on why each unit is there.

The Redeemer

Reznik's Brand pretty much just begs your force to include at least one Redeemer. Boosted attack and damage rolls against one unit make this 'jack's ROF 3 missile launcher a true terror. Two points of focus will net us 3 fully boosted attacks against a unit or model affected by Brand. Totally, totally awesome. I can't wait to blast some pirates with this guy.

The Revenger

Arguably the best 'jack the Protectorate has access to. For 76 points, you get an Arc Node, Powerful Charge, and a shield that repels attackers. Add to that a decent P+S spear and you have an all-arounder that can take full advantage of Reznik's movement enhancement and extend the range of some of his spells.

Vassal of Menoth

This was not initially a priority to fit into my 350, but I found myself with exactly his point cost left over, so in he went. The Vassal's ability to let a 'jack make a free melee or ranged attack for his low point cost makes him worthy of consideration in any 'jack heavy list. Here, he's going to let me fire more missiles or force the opponent to spend time on a 19 point solo.

Choir of Menoth

The 'jack enhancement continues! Their prayers can really up the output of damage from my side of the table. +2 to hit an damage makes both of the 'jacks absolutely lethal when combined with Brand, while the other prayers offer the lightly armored 'jacks some safety from ranged attacks.

Holy Zealots w/ Monlith Bearer

Okay, well, I had to. These guys are probably the best unit the Protectorate can bring to the table. Their bombs can drop 'jacks or wipe out full units of infantry. The monolith bearer adds much needed survivability to the unit. Not really in theme with the rest of my warjack loving list, but so effective I couldn't help myself. Plus, they're one of the units that drew me to the faction!

This seems like a pretty beefy list. I'm interested in seeing how it does against my opponents. I think the Circle's speed will be difficult to deal with, as will the sheer number of attacks privateers are capable of throwing out with their basic troopers. Reznik's medium base makes him harder to hide, so a few lucky shots may be all it takes. Let's hope those missiles do their job, first!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:09:49 AM by Ian Mulligan »
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
  • My name is Matt and I am a pinning addict.
Re: Armies of Immoren: The Protectorate of Menoth!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »
Definitely an intimidating list.

I hate frikin zealots.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:02:29 PM »
I've started painting Reznik and he's coming along, albeit a little more slowly than I'm used to. The sandy whites of the Protectorate take a lot of thin coats. Same with the reds and brass I'm using. It's a big change from the quik and dirty Khador scheme I'm used to.

My method of painting really doesn't lend itself to photography. I work pretty chaotically, moving from color to color and tie it all together with inks. This makes for one super ugly model up until the end. I'll pos tcompleted model pics, but there will be no works in progress shots.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:04:24 PM by Ian Mulligan »
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Photos
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
But pictures of the model while it is still super ugly are the whole POINT of progress photos!

What's the fun in not posting ugly things on the internet?

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 04:40:11 PM »
Well, its hard to see the progress I'm making because its such a mess. If I worked in anything that could resemble stages, I would gladly take some photos. Seeing me paint brass, then 4 other colors, then coming back to a few sections with brass again, then again after 3 more colors is pretty boring.
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »
Not sure it would be that boring. Despite it seeming haphazard I think it would be interesting to see the progress.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
High Executioner Sevrath Reznik
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:42:51 AM »
Here he is. 8 hours of painting, inking, and basing. He's probably my favorite model I've painted to date, and maybe my best.

I totally suck at taking pictures. Sorry its so washed out.
beep bop boop

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:03:34 AM »
That's REALLY good, Ian.  Nice job!

Lots of detail on that model...  It must have been a pain to paint up like that.  Eight hours seems like a really low amount of time too.  Nice.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 03:59:03 AM »
WOW!!!
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
F***ing awsome
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »
That totally rocks. Excellent painting.

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
That's sweet.  Nice metal work and I enjoy the handwriting on the parchment.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Imp

• Paragon Tier Level 15
  • ImpsCorner.com
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 11:45:52 PM »
wicked paint job and i have to also point out the excellent job on taking the photo.  a good model photo can help the mini more then even the paint job itself
Children yet, the tale to hear, Eager eye and willing ear, Lovingly shall nestle near.  In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream?

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Rockets and bombs oh my...
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 11:23:05 AM »
I re-read your list. Besides lots of bombs I am not sure how I will deal with 4 rockets a turn until I close distance. The witch coven would just grant stealth but Terminus doesn't have any way to make the bane nights or Seether much more survivable while they close. Tough might help a little but it is not very reliable and getting one model knocked down slows the unit down a LOT.

Hmmmm...

Actually terminus getting hit with missiles may be a bigger problem. What is the POW on those? 3-4 boosted missiles before I can reach them... ugg.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »
They're POW 12, but with the Choir it jumps to POW 14. Keep in mind they're working off an effective RAT of 0. Though the +2 from the Choir and extra die from either Brand of Heresy or just boosting makes them a little better, but not much.

To be honest, I'm really not expecting direct hits. I'm hoping the blast damage takes care of your horde of knights. If I nail one dead on, that's awesome but not required.
beep bop boop

Matt Thomas

• Heroic Tier Level 6
Stupid Reznik
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »
No nailing him or his jacks with magic plus a 17inch rough terrain charge range.

Killing off my focus hurts a lot too.

Hoping a Seether + Demoniac + Terminus = Dead religious freak.