Author Topic: Bigger, better, stronger? Unnofficial Annual Megabattle Hype Thread  (Read 32914 times)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Re: Bigger, better, stronger? Unnofficial Annual Megabattle Hype Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 04:36:20 AM »
Topping the previous year should always be our goal, both in terms of points fielded, people playing, and table decor. I'd like to pull out all the stops and make a really nice table for the next one. I liked last years, but we can do way better.

Maybe we should start kicking ideas around for what the table should look like. Something challenging...
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:28 AM »
Mike and I saw the best table layout.

On one side was a ruined city in flames.  On the opposite side was a city that looked almost elf like in it's majesty.  In the middle was a huge cross bridging the two. 

Now, I don't know if those nut jobs on the corner of 136th street in NY knew what they were inspring but we were inspired.  We were going to ask them if we could have their poster.  It just seemed like such an epic 40k table.  I'll keep digging for an image and post it.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 11:19:32 AM »
Well if it's an epic 40k table, then it would be a lot easier to build than a 28mm scale one don't you think? :P

I think a cool idea would be to continue the story set by last year's battle.  I can't think of many ideas at the moment that would do that, but if we could keep it like an annual battle that has ties to those before it I think we would feel a lot cooler when we beat the chaos scum again.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »
What I would like to see is maybe assaulting a mountain fortress in some valley or the like.  You know assaulting the walls, blowing them up and swarming the center of the fortress or something.

Either that or a complete City Fight in a Hive City where capturing certain objectives allows for additional reinforcements to be flanked march from another side of the table or from reserve.

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »
What I would like to see is maybe assaulting a mountain fortress in some valley or the like.  You know assaulting the walls, blowing them up and swarming the center of the fortress or something.

Either that or a complete City Fight in a Hive City where capturing certain objectives allows for additional reinforcements to be flanked march from another side of the table or from reserve.

Both sound real good.  The first one sounds like it'd be great for a Fantasy mega battle (Invade the Dwarven Stronghold).  There's enough stuff out there that a true City Fight could be done as well.

The table last time looked spectacular.  If the new table was made to be modular, to so speak, with the old one that'd be nice.  That way people could mix and match (at least some) parts from the two for games.  Talk about reusability.
You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Opforce3

• God
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
personally i'd like to see an entirely rural area. not all jungle or woods, but not the standard grey rubble with buildings everywhere. some forest/jungle here and there, a small suburban cityish area, some outlying bunkers, but overall no huge buildings. just alot of green. it'd be a nice change

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Doin' what I can with what I got."
-Burt Gummer

6/4/11 NEVER FORGET

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 05:02:48 PM »
I thought you were bringing the green?

I think there should be impassible walls (3 feet tall) and have them be the walls to the hive. ;D

tyranid warlord

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 05:08:13 PM »
My tyranids are 2700pts and growing with much more in the works,
lots of big stuff

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 10:22:09 PM »
2008's Megabattle has been, in my opinion, the most fun event of the year.

I am very much looking forward to 2009's Megabattle and it being bigger and better.

With that said, when are you guys going to organize another "smaller" Megabattle like the one you had at the end of June?  How many points were on that table, 50k?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »
Yeah, it was 50k.  I think the nid plays are trying to hatch something.

Opforce3

• God
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 01:23:35 AM »
yes rich, i will be bringing quite a bit of green, but im still a fan of non-city tables

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Doin' what I can with what I got."
-Burt Gummer

6/4/11 NEVER FORGET

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 08:04:34 AM »
How about a Vraks them?  The green wouldn't last long from all the fires / shelling / orbital bombardment...

Google Image Search: Paschendale.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »
If we're going to go for some Historical inspiration, how about a scenario with both city and Lots of green. oooh and a bridge.

Google search for Operation Market Garden or even just Arnhem. Picture a bridge surrounded by city  on both ends. On one end "The Good Guys" surrounded by the "baddies" and then Goodies tear assing up the board to meet up with them. More Baddies in the way of course. 

The overall goal, possession of an intact bridge...

Ryan and I've been kicking this scenario around. It should give a good mix of city, trench, and even open fields to a certain extent.

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 01:50:39 PM »
Oooo, that would be a good one.  Lots of variety in terrain and would have immense potential for awesome.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »
I don't wanna be a downer to bring this up, but someone has too.

I for one had a ball at the mega battle and am all for uping the points but I dunno if anyone should be aiming for the 12k per player tier.  I mean just to think of the set-up time and the fact that this time around there is soo much interest. 

I am also for limiting the number of super heavies.  I mean don't get me wrong but I think its a little depressing for those that can't get their hands on 6 titans or have the ability to throw together super heavies like paul.   

I am throwing my vote for some epic units though, seeing a heirophant or an emperor titan throw down would just be cookies after a diet.