Author Topic: Call Of Cthulhu  (Read 7845 times)

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
  • Bob Butler, former Abington guy
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
Re: Call Of Cthulhu
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 12:06:32 AM »
Talking to Mike, he isn't intending to send characters off to the asylum when sanity hits zero.  Thing is, I don't feel one should just ignore sanity hitting zero.  It should effect the character somehow.  In Tam's case, what feels right to me at this point is an tendency towards pyromania in addition to her concern about appearance.  I don't know what will feel right after she hits bottom next time, but at some point while she remains playable if not entirely sane I might want to get her into a place where none of this stuff effects her anymore, where hitting zero again can't do more damage.

I'm certainly not interested in rolling up a new character every other week.

Tam started out with a decent if not amazing amount of sanity, and was out in two runs.  Mike is restoring sanity, but he is taking it away much faster than he is restoring it.  Either the scenario styles might be adjusted, or I'd like more clarity on just what sanity points stand for in this campaign.  I'm trying to role play the horror and the terror, and assume that the sanity game mechanic is a reflection of what I'm supposed to be role playing, but Mike seems awful casual about bouncing characters off zero.  My current feeling is that when the end game starts, when it is time to confront the bad guy, until Tam rebuilds her sanity to a decent level she really ought to sit in the car, curl up into a small ball, and whimper.

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
  • Silence is golden but duck tape is silver.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 12:10:26 AM »
From what I have heard of this game it is VERY common for your character to go insane and perish through various 'evil' things, and therefore I would get used to it. It's not that there is a lack of balance in the game, it is that the design of the game itself is for this to happen. There is also the factor of succeeding in the 'correct' actions and 'good' rolls necessary to spare your own sanity points. One can not control these things but I do not believe that the game is unbalanced and am looking forward to losing my sanity to some degree on the 24th.

Cheers,
Alley.
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?
Yes Alley, you're winning.

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
Hmm...  To me it's less a question of balance than pace.  Looking at the rules, reading a book takes months, gives one points in Cuthulu Mythos skill, and costs one sanity.  Gaining lore is a long slow process that carries with it a price.  In this campaign, shoving a book in someone's face is a combat action, as is taking the sanity loss, while there is often nothing gained.

I was sort of expecting a long slow descent into madness, and am not sure what I'm getting instead.  Clearly, going negative in sanity isn't as big a deal as in other CoC games.  It seems to mean one sits out the rest of the evening's game rather than anything long term and character changing.  I'd just like a better idea of what the sanity point mechanic means in this game so I know how to role play it.

Netherrealmsco

• Email
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 03:47:01 PM »
Sorry guys.  I know this is last minute but i cant make it tonight

Mike

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
We talked briefly Saturday of switching the game over to D20 CoC, that I might show up early next week to create a new character or convert Tamya.  Should we pass on the word to other players?

I think if we continued to roll D100, where low is good, but the game reality called for D20s, where high is good, that the sanity loss might be excessive?  ;)

Warpedfuzz

• Paragon Tier Level 16
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »
*Marcus slowly awakens in his hotel*

The sun is shinning through the ratted beige curtains.He's sore as if he hasn't moved in awhile.He's slightly disoriented and really, really hungry. He's rested, but not relaxed.As if his dreams were "unpleasant."
Marcus looks at his cell phone and notices no calls. He freshens up and decides to stretch his legs, and go for a short walk around, before trying to contact his fellows in arms. He walks down past the front desk and the fella behind the counter yells out at him. "Hey buddy! You alright?" he says. "Yeah of course why do you ask?"said Marcus.
"Well son, you've been holed up in that there room about a week now.You came in last week, paid for another week, than headed to your room.Havn't heard peep outta you since.Thought maybe I'd just missed you coming and going, but afew people stopped by looking for you.Not the sort I'd pal around with, but they asked for you.I was afraid I'd find you dead and hung in there.Glad I waited.You look abit pale you alright?"
"Yay I'll be ok thanks old timer. If them pals of mine show up again you can mention that I'll be in touch soon."
With that Marcus walked out the door and began his walk.One thing for sure; he wasn't even bothered by a week just disappearing. It just didn't matter after all.Not here anyway.It's this town.Something very odd here.Not even a clear sunny day like this could help him ever forget about what he has seen recently.
~ Lead, follow, or get the HELL out of my way! ~

Warpedfuzz

• Paragon Tier Level 16
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
Marcus is my character in case you hadn't remebered, or known.He's an ex army officer, who has served his time and is now a engineering contractor for the military.He's investagating a friend's child's disappearance.He couldn't help those people he's run across so far, but he still searches on.His friend had saved his life in combat and he owns him this much.
~ Lead, follow, or get the HELL out of my way! ~

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »
I've got another project going saturday afternoon.  I'll get to BG for part of Cthulhu, but might not be there promptly at 7:00.

Tam wants photographs of the yeti footprints.  She is considering either a research trip to the Sheriff's office, or watching the watching hills.

Bob

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
I can't make it this weekend because if I don't get the work hours I can't pay my cell phone bill. Will see you next week and can someone fill me in on what's going on in the campaign? We can just say my character got transfered in anyway .
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
Please Bear With Us
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 03:35:10 PM »
No manure, there we were, four paranormal investigators going on a well deserved ski vacation in the Colorado mountain.  Gotta get out of Arkham every once in a while, relax, break some limbs.  It's a natural.  Alas, the snow got a little intense and we had to stop at an old mining town.

Well, on the way in there was an unfortunate interaction between our car, a snowbank, and an old native American.  The car got the worst of it, the front end pretty banged up.  The snowbank wasn't exactly unscathed, but no one seemed to care.  The native american ran off into the woods yelling 'Chickatone,' 'Rigatoni', 'Chicken Parmesan,' or something to that effect.

Well, copper mining in the valley had been going downhill for quite some time.  A flurry of snowed in strangers was as close as they had to excitement for quite some time.  There was a businessman, fairly straight forward, at least until he ran through his window and over a cliff.  Very strange.  A little digging showed he was here with a contract with the local mining company.  There was a woman.  Not friendly.  Didn't want to say much to anybody.  I suppose the sanity loss wasn't entirely her fault.  Her head here, her legs there, blood everywhere…  The sanity loss was likely the fault of…  A bear.  Yep.  Big.  Claws.  Mean.  Never mind that bears hibernate in the winter, the initial suspect is a bear.

And us.  The local cops don't seem to care for investigators from Arkham.  While none of us are as big as a bear, or has claws like a bear, or hibernates, there are four of us, we each have tiny little fingernails, we're 100 to 200 pounds each, we each sleep about a quarter of the time, so somehow together we collectively might make up a bear.

Time to investigate.  We have established…

The general store will give out free booze if we will just go away.

Deep in the stacks of the local newspapers are a series of stories about something vaguely bear like that shows up, kills a few folks, then goes dormant for a bunch of years.

The big shot owner of the local mining company, whose ancestors were once victims of one of the old 'bear' attacks, seems to like to show off his ability to throw spells, wanted to congratulate us on figuring out as much as we have, and seems to want us to go away.  We are outsiders here, and our meddling will lead to no good.

We also heard some noise outside the hotel.  Silly us, having no concept of conserving sanity points, rushed to take a look.  It looks more like a wolf than a bear.  It's bigger than a breadbox.  It leaves footprints.

While there is no formal reservation in the area, the 'bear' might be associated with indians and/or the 'Watching Hills.'  A visit to the Watching Hills was under consideration.

Rigatoni!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:17:07 PM by blantyr »

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »
Changed my work schedule so I can be there tomorrow and I'll grace you with my presence ;) look forward to playing some CoC tomorrow with you guys! See you there!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:28:03 PM by Alley Livingston »
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »
While we'll be pleased by your graceful presence, you are aware that the free booze is in character only?   ;)

Alley Livingston

• Heroic Tier Level 7
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 11:20:57 PM »
Darn, my plans are ruined. It's alright, I'm my own party  ;D
So I win right?
You're not even playing.
So I'm winning?

blantyr

• Epic Tier Level 21
    • Wicke's Web
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:32 PM »
I've another Saturday Afternoon Thing going on.  I should be able to make BG by 7:00, but play on if I can't.  I'll get there, but perhaps a bit late.

Bob

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 06:16:42 AM »
Can I be THUNDERCAT?
Tiger's Den founding member