Author Topic: Escalation and Stronghold are launched!  (Read 15335 times)

andalucien

• God
Escalation and Stronghold are launched!
« on: December 07, 2013, 09:36:57 AM »
So,

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2013/12/escalation-is-there-balance.html

Anybody have any thoughts?

My first thought is, I'm disappointed that there are only about 15 superheavies that are legal.  I had hoped that the superheavies in the book would be just EXAMPLES of what you can bring.  So, no playing Zarykynel for me after all.  I really have no interest in a Lord of Skulls, and that's the only option for either CSM or Daemons, so my "main armies" are lord-of-war-less.  Sisters have no access to any superheavies, period.  The Necron choices seem pretty interesting actually, so there's that :)

It seems a little strange that Guard get access to as many superheavies as the rest of the codexes put together.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Re: Escalation and Stronghold are launched!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:49:13 AM »
So,

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2013/12/escalation-is-there-balance.html

Anybody have any thoughts?

My first thought is, I'm disappointed that there are only about 15 superheavies that are legal.  I had hoped that the superheavies in the book would be just EXAMPLES of what you can bring.  So, no playing Zarykynel for me after all.  I really have no interest in a Lord of Skulls, and that's the only option for either CSM or Daemons, so my "main armies" are lord-of-war-less.  Sisters have no access to any superheavies, period.  The Necron choices seem pretty interesting actually, so there's that :)

It seems a little strange that Guard get access to as many superheavies as the rest of the codexes put together.

i certainly want to give it a try, that being said as someone who owns 5 super heavies i'm probably not going to field one unless its a huge point number game.

Super heavies die pretty quickly to heavy melta or assault and its a huge point sink. The choices while i think it's the right move to limit the options instead of opening the entire FW catalog to play are not balanced.

IG have some decent options but only one is a destroyer weapon (large blast)

Nearly HALF the codexs can only use a thunderhawk which is meh, i think there's only like 2 in the entire BG community and they die rather rapidly to anti air.

lord of skulls is a huge amount of points (888)

Necron one is semi expensive but probably is the most cost effective, AV14 all around D flamer and many other weapon options

Revenant titan, again a huge ammount of points (900), a little harder to kill with the holo fields thing but i'm not scared of it.

dont know much about the tau one

the Harridan looks nasty at T8 and 8 wounds although it is 735 points

andalucien

• God
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
Yeah interestingly enough, the Harridan might be the most likely one to get played by me.

1) Assuming I don't ragequit entirely and that the Nids codex resembles the last few real codexes more than the other stuff GW has come out with lately, I'll be building up my existing 1000pt Nids army quickly in January.
2)  The Harridan model just looks BOSS, BOSS, BOSS, BOSS BOSS
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
It's seems like you can only make one variant of the Stompa. Which is a shame because I believe the  Big Mek variant of the Stompa had access to a D weapon. Still the Supa Gattler is pretty awesome though.
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »
I was very much hoping for a warhound titan, but it looks like my only choice is a Thunderhawk that cost 400 pounds. Guess I'll just have to start filling tac squads with melta guns. Saves my marines from the gets hot plasma guns that my army is infamous for.

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
I just thought of a potential neat trick for the Stompa. It has a transport capacity of 20. Take a burna boyz squad with 3 mek boyz. Have a Big Mek with a kusom force field join the squad. Give everyone max oiler grots. Stick them all in the Stompa and you have a super heavy walker that can put 4 hull points back every turn and gives it self and everything within 6 inches a 5 up cover save. If it gets assaulted in addition to overwatching with all it's guns your burna boyz can wall of death out the fire points.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:57:05 AM by Pat.H »
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
It's seems like you can only make one variant of the Stompa. Which is a shame because I believe the  Big Mek variant of the Stompa had access to a D weapon. Still the Supa Gattler is pretty awesome though.

The big mek stompa has some force fields and a lifta-droppa, which can overcharge once a game for a str D shot.  Gaze of Mork can be a str D hit if you roll 11 or 12 when you roll the power of it.

Space elves win this one with the amount of str D weapons it can put out in a turn.

Kind of underwhelmed with these two releases.  But then again, I am very eh on 40k right now because of Orks, so YMMV.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:22:39 PM by Mad Dok Robert »
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »
I just thought of a potential neat trick for the Stompa. It has a transport capacity of 20. Take a burna boyz squad with 3 mek boyz. Have a Big Mek with a kusom force field join the squad. Give everyone max oiler grots. Stick them all in the Stompa and you have a super heavy walker that can put 4 hull points back every turn and gives it self and everything within 6 inches a 5 up cover save. If it gets assaulted in addition to overwatching with all it's guns your burna boyz can wall of death out the fire points.

unless they changed the stompa in the new Apoc, it only has 3 firing points so no complete wall of death.

Last time I ran one against Nick (who completely butt raped the thing with his death company) I did load it up with 3 burnas 2meks and a big mek with KFF.
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 12:13:23 PM »

unless they changed the stompa in the new Apoc, it only has 3 firing points so no complete wall of death.

Last time I ran one against Nick (who completely butt raped the thing with his death company) I did load it up with 3 burnas 2meks and a big mek with KFF.

Double thunder hammers for everyone will kill pretty much anything.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »

Guard are rumored to come after nids so maybe that's why

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
Only the lord of skulls for chaos?

Well, that's a bummer. Sorry Skabbeithrax and An'ggrath, stay on the shelf.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
Least I can use my Thunder Hawk now

andalucien

• God
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »
Hmm, so the revenant titan has

4 large blasts that can split fire
can move 36" and shoot them 60"
Anything underneath any of them is removed, period.  (not even We'll be back).

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 06:45:39 PM »
I'd count on a lot more superheavies becoming legal "soon".
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

andalucien

• God
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »
Whoah, chase with the insider info :)  Thanks :)