Author Topic: Space Marine 6th Edition Codex Speculations  (Read 17313 times)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
Re: Space Marine 6th Edition Codex Speculations
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »
I really should have said thunderfire cannons, not techmarines. 

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
The main problem with them is they pay too much for heavy weapons.  Other than that, they're pretty great.

Tell me, do you use special characters that have an alternate to combat tactics?  Cuz Combat Tactics is pretty awesome.

no i use generic Ultramarines. No special charecter to displace CombatTactics because that would not make them Ultra Marines any more. 5pts for a Plasma cannon doesnt seem over priced to me. Missile Launchers and Multi Meltas are free so how is that expensive?

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 08:19:58 PM »
Uhhh....masses of tac squads work

Bike troops work

Infiltrating Th/SS termies work

Heavy tank shooting works

Sternguard as scoring works

People LOVE techmarines now

The Vanilla Marine Tactical Squads are the Worst Troops in the Game for their points. A 10 man squad before any upgrades or Heavy weapons is 170 points 30 points less than a Terminator squad. Give them a Rhino they cost more than your 5 man Terminator Squad at 205 and while they are moving only 2 guys get to fire.

Bike troops are ok but even then they are expensive to put on the field and they lack all the nice tools that Ravenwing has and are just as susceptible to plasma and missiles only getting a 5+ cover if they moved and are terrible in assault.

Infiltrating Termies cost 395 points to begin with Shrike is 195 points you lose combat tactics and gain fleet. You have to go second to be able to assault with them on your first player turn and the enemy gets a free round of shooting into them unless you have them completely out of LOS and even then they probably will have something to take care of them. They are either going to be Dead or severely hampered to try and assault then. they are too big of a target and worth too much.

Heavy tank shooting you need to elaborate on this one for me because I figure you mean putting 3 Predators on the table. I could be wrong they just don't pump out the shots you need to do anything or they get too expensive.

Scoring Sternguard are great and ya its decently competitive. I have no arguments here.

Thunderfire Cannons are Decent they are a hit or miss in the literal sense. You have them they work great on mass infantry but they don't work on elite troops or vehicles and sometimes they just whiff.

But you're naming units that do well we have nothing to really support them. You take Sternguard you have no Terminators or dreadnoughts. You take Thunderfire Cannons you have no real Anti-Tank since your Heavy Support is taken up. Fast Attack only has the Storm Talon and bikes and both are kind of squishier than we like them to be atm.

They are Decent but I don't see anyone playing them never mind winning with them they are just so mediocre right now and don't have any flavor they are just Vanilla.

I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
these are all very true points. I dont use any of the mentioned special tactics and I end up with smoking boots. The Flag Ship space marine chapter just isnt that great

MM3791

• God
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 10:12:05 PM »
Wow this is good discussion, I'm learning the science of the Space Marine codex.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »
Does a 10-man vanilla tac squad get any special/heavy weapons for free for being 10 men?

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:41 PM »
You get 1 Missile Launcher, Heavy Bolter, or Multi-Melta as Heavy Weapons for Free and a Flamer for a Special weapon for Free. But you need to be 10 man to even have the choice of anything.

Competitive HQs in the Codex as of Right now Kantor and Vul'Kan.

Kantor removes combat tactics and in return makes Sternguard Scoring as well as the rest of your Army Stubborn and is a Walking Banner himself giving +1 Attack to all models within 12" of him. He has an AP 4 Assault 4 Str 4 Storm Bolter shot at BS5. A power Fist and a 4+ invulnerable. At 175 points he is worth every point.

Vul'Kan Removes Combat Tactics as well  but Twin-Links all Flamers,Heavy Flamers, Meltas, and Multi-Meltas and Master Crafts every Thunder Hammer in your Army. He has Artificer Armour for a 2+ A Dragon Scale Cloak for a 3+ invulnerable. A Heavy flamer and a Master-Crafted Relic Blade which resolves its Attacks at STR 6 no matter the STR of the wielder at AP3. Digital Weapons as well. Hes a Monster in Close Combat but just the huge buff twin-linking everything makes it worth it if you build around him.His points 190 but you can't gear a Captain like him for that many points and the buff.

Every other Named HQ just isnt worth the Points Lysander is 200 points just to reroll bolters,Heavy bolters, Storm Bolters, and Bolt Pistols in his Unit. He has good wargear not worth it.

Shrike gives Fleet and allows you to infiltrate his Unit at 195 points.This used to be good when he could assault first turn by using his Jump Pack and Running and then assaulting with a Squad of Assault Marines but now its just not worth the points.

Khan I could see potential for him. But hes 160 points to give Outflank to your army and another 45 point to put him on his Bike in which he got Fleet and Could run. His rules dont work in 6th now since Fleet doesnt let him charge after Running.

Cassius is a Chaplain with a Master Crafter Combi-Flamer,Feel no Pain, and Hellfire Rounds(2+ to wound always). If your thinking of a Chaplain in power armour and can spare the extra 25 points take him instead of a normal chaplain.

Tigurius is/was Awful for his High Point Cost and the Awful Powers Space Marines Have. No Invulnerable save and basically Psyker Mastery Level 3. His saving grace would be the ability to reroll all Reserve rolls even successful ones but at 190 Points no Invulnerable save and a 3+ you can do better.

Sicarius I like him he has a lot of cool abilities. But from a Competitive standpoint he doesnt bring much to your army outside of the chance to reroll to seize. He gives a Tact squad Counter-Attack, Infiltrate, Scout, or Tank Hunters. All decent abilities if he could give them to anything but a Tact Squad. His Sword can Instant Kill anything doesnt have Eternal Warrior despite their Toughness.  He has a 2+ save and Feel No Pain. As long as he is Alive all other Space Marine Units can us his leadership. 200 Points puts him on the expensive side but he is a Cool Character.

Marneus at 250 points is super Expensive in normal Power Armour. for 15 more Points you give him Terminatour which has a Teleport Homer. Eternal Warrior, Orbital Bombardment, STR 4 AP 2 Assault 2 24" range. God of War while Marneus is Alive everyone with Combat Tactics can choose to pass or fail automatically any morale test they are called to make. Titanic Might lets him Reroll all failed attempts to Wound with Shooting and Close-combat Attacks. He is incredibly but at 265 points and the rest of the codex falling a little bit short he underwhelms in the 2 situations I have seen him in.

I had done a While back a Big in depth write up on how the current Codex would run in 6th edition. http://www.battlegroundgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=4436.msg42283#msg42283 check it out if you want to see my first initial thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:45:04 PM by Loranus »
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 11:53:20 PM »
Yeah, I have been looking to convert a kantor or Vulcan "counts as" for my Ultramarines.  They both rock pretty hard.  And, you forgot Lysander.  I like him, and he might get a conversion too...

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM »
I swore I wrote something for Lysander. At 200 points his stuff is kind of Mediocre to me. in 4th he used to be awesome his Special Rule let you take Every Terminatour Squad in your army and let them come in from reserves all at once. Similar to Deathwing Assault but without the certainty.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 12:24:46 AM »
Lysander is 200 points just to reroll bolters,Heavy bolters, Storm Bolters, and Bolt Pistols in his Unit. He has good wargear not worth it.
You're not supposed to buy Lysander for bolter re-rolls. You buy him because he's a 2+/3++ 4W Eternal Warrior with a Master Crafted Str 10 Thunder Hammer. And if you'd like a Stubborn army, he's your bro. He also has Bolster Defenses, increasing a ruin's cover save by 1. For 200 points, in the right list, he's priced really well.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 01:52:48 AM »
Bolster Defences welcome to why don't you stay the same between codexes. Works on any Terrain in Dark Angels FAQed in Space Marines for just ruins.

In the right list I think he would do great. Just like the rest I think would be good in lists built for them. I don't think those lists are competitive because of the book as a whole needs a lot of fine tuning for options and abilities.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
In the right list I think he would do great. Just like the rest I think would be good in lists built for them. I don't think those lists are competitive because of the book as a whole needs a lot of fine tuning for options and abilities.
Well, yeah. One would have to build lists around the characters. You just don't plug them in and win.

Anyway, I guess my part of the discussion will be moot in a couple months.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
The main problem with them is they pay too much for heavy weapons.  Other than that, they're pretty great.

Tell me, do you use special characters that have an alternate to combat tactics?  Cuz Combat Tactics is pretty awesome.

no i use generic Ultramarines. No special charecter to displace CombatTactics because that would not make them Ultra Marines any more. 5pts for a Plasma cannon doesnt seem over priced to me. Missile Launchers and Multi Meltas are free so how is that expensive?

Because you have to have the full 10 man squads to get them.  But I was mostly talking about Devastator squads.  On tac squads they're good. 

Uhhh....masses of tac squads work

Bike troops work

Infiltrating Th/SS termies work

Heavy tank shooting works

Sternguard as scoring works

People LOVE techmarines now

The Vanilla Marine Tactical Squads are the Worst Troops in the Game for their points. A 10 man squad before any upgrades or Heavy weapons is 170 points 30 points less than a Terminator squad. Give them a Rhino they cost more than your 5 man Terminator Squad at 205 and while they are moving only 2 guys get to fire.

They're better than CSM, even with the 3 pt difference.  ATSKNF is HUGE.  They also get better guns, bette rtransports, and combat squadding. 

Terminators, generically, across multiple different codexes, are really pretty bad.  I say that as a GK player that has access to 40 pt termies, that are troops, vs ~22 pt Strikes.  I would usually rather have the strikes, thank you.  I've tried using GKT due to helldrakes, it's really not great.  Termies really only work charging out of a LR, I've decided, and that's an entirely different ball game. 

10 tac marines are a lot more useful than 5 termies, is what I'm saying, particularly since we're really talking 10 tacs + a rhino. 

Bike troops are ok but even then they are expensive to put on the field and they lack all the nice tools that Ravenwing has and are just as susceptible to plasma and missiles only getting a 5+ cover if they moved and are terrible in assault.

When would you not move them?  Don't assault with them, duh, that's not what they're for.

Infiltrating Termies cost 395 points to begin with Shrike is 195 points you lose combat tactics and gain fleet. You have to go second to be able to assault with them on your first player turn and the enemy gets a free round of shooting into them unless you have them completely out of LOS and even then they probably will have something to take care of them. They are either going to be Dead or severely hampered to try and assault then. they are too big of a target and worth too much.

Well, this is really an indictment against death stars, which I would mostly agree with (there are a few that work, still, like Draigowing and DE beast packs).  But still, this is thing good players do sometimes, I've seen it be successful.

Heavy tank shooting you need to elaborate on this one for me because I figure you mean putting 3 Predators on the table. I could be wrong they just don't pump out the shots you need to do anything or they get too expensive.

120 pts for an AV 13 front tank with two lascannons and an autocannon.  That's pretty useful againt most targets and it's quite pts efficient.

Thunderfire Cannons are Decent they are a hit or miss in the literal sense. You have them they work great on mass infantry but they don't work on elite troops or vehicles and sometimes they just whiff.

Here's where I star to feel that we don't use the same words to mean the same things.  Hit or miss?  You mean like everything in this game that rolls dice to hit?  It's 4 blasts for a lousy 100 pts, it's all T 7 and you get a free techmarine in the bargain.  That's pretty sweet.  I suppose it's favorit targe is indeed Orks but it will work just fine on marines, too.  And the game is all about hordes recently, haven't you heard?

Pro players love thunderfire cannons. 

But you're naming units that do well we have nothing to really support them.
[/quote]

Except for the thunderfire cannons, the predators, the tac marines that are semi-good at everything, the melta and plasma wielding bikes, the storm talons and storm ravens that is about twice the air support most armies get.  All of which I've taken pains to tell you why they're good. 

Look, we all make choices when making a list.  You can weight a list in any particular direction.  Yes, when you take a predator, that's one less thunderfire you can take, and vice versa.  But both are really good choices.

The vanilla SM codex isn't perfect.  Basic tac marines look a little expensive compared to Grey hunters and Dark Angels, and their devastators pay too much for the cool guns.  But they have really good list of really extensive tools to accomplish almost any sort of task, and the basic troop is useful in almost all situations, and that'sa  great thing.  There are very, very few units that are just outright bad.

Good players aren't usually looking for the "maximal" unit, that is overpowering in a particular aspect, not necessarily things that are super points efficient compared to other armies (though both things are good).  They're looking for tools that let them deal with any particular situation, and let them accomplish the goals of the game, mostly grabbing objectives.  Vanilla SM marines have those tools, a lot of them.

They'll get a codex cuz they're space marines, but they don't especially need one.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:01:48 PM by Sir_Prometheus »

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 09:38:48 PM »
I've been thinking about it, and the one big reason I can't see Space Marines at the top of the food chain, even after a codex update, is the proliferation of AP 3 template weapons.

It's a bummer.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
They seem to be doing that on purpose.  It's a little bit of a ham-handed way of doing it, but still, as a goal, I think I like it. 

For long, long time, 70% of everything has been a marine.  SO much so that ap4 has been laughable, because what is that good againt?  Nothing, might as well be AP -. 

Personally I think it'll be great when 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 is actually "average" as a stat line, and 4+ armor and 5+ is "typical". 

I mean honestly, that'll never happen.  But we could all do with a few less marines around.